I don't think the DCU is that bad...

Ryujin

Legend
See, that's the thing though. I was thinking about this and that thought occurred to me too. DCU looks bad by comparison. Only thing is, I'm not sure that holds. There's a lot of pretty mediocre MCU movies. Sure, Iron Man was fantastic. Great movie. But, Iron Man 3? That was pretty bad. The two Thor movies are, IMO, entirely forgettable. We spend 2/3rds of the first one with Thor not actually being Thor and sitting around in a coffee shop bemoaning the fact that he isn't Thor. Captain America was great. But (again, IMO) Winter Soldier was... boring? Again, largely forgettable. Let's not forget Ed Norton's The Incredible Hulk. Not exactly covering the series in glory.

And, if we want to get technical about it, there's still the X-Men movies (very hit and miss) and the Spider Man movies (again, completely hit or miss). I know they aren't MCU movies, but, kinda sorta?

While there have been stellar MCU movies (and there certainly haven't been any stellar DCU movies) there's been more than a few movies that have largely been carried by the brand.

Maybe that's the difference. MCU movies, even the meh ones, are still buoyed up by the great MCU movies. Whereas DCU just hasn't bought that kind of goodwill by having a really good DCU movie.

OTOH, DCU on the small screen is kicking ass and taking names.

Where the Captain America movies are concerned, in my experience, most people seem to have a preference opposite to your own. Not that it means anything, though, as we all have our preferences.

The big difference between the MCU and the DCCU seems to be one of tone. Tone appropriate, or not appropriate, to the source material. The MCU is full-on three colour comic in tone. The DCCU is grim-dark graphic novel in tone and that would be fine, if they were making movies about different properties. It could have worked for "Suicide Squad" but that movie had other failings (making it the Harley Quinn and Will Smith in Deadshot's costume show; the abortion that was Leto's Joker...). If they hold that tone with a property like "Justice League Dark" they might be onto something. Or if they used the same tone in some of the "Dark Horse Presents" products, then maybe that would work.

What they need to do, is somehow capture the spirit of the comics. The hopefulness that they engender. They don't have to mimic Marvel's roadmap to do this, nor should they, but they need to find a more appropriate FEEL to their movies. As you said, they're kicking arse in the animated realm. How do they do it? The way that I just said.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Well, the reviews are coming out of embargo and it seems the DC Cinematic Universe just got about 10x better. 97% Fresh. I hope to see it on Sunday.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I am just NOT interested in Superman. For me, he has to be the most boring superhero around. Give me more Batman. A person with flaws and mortality, and only has the gadgets and skill to rely on. A plethora of ridiculous powers to me, is not impressive.

That is what somewhat kills the DCU for me. Since Superman is such a central figure. Wonder woman on the other hand look great, and feels far more fresh and exciting (again, to me at least).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm a fan of the DCU. It has its flaws, but I like the mythic way it differentiates itself from the Marvel universe. The biggest mistake they could make would be adopting the Marvel quip-a-minute formula. Let Marvel do the action comedies well, and try and do drama instead.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I'm a fan of the DCU. It has its flaws, but I like the mythic way it differentiates itself from the Marvel universe. The biggest mistake they could make would be adopting the Marvel quip-a-minute formula. Let Marvel do the action comedies well, and try and do drama instead.

I won't argue there. I like that they at least feel distinct. Having an MCU and then an MCU lite would be terrible. I love a good grim and dark tale.

Ryujin

Legend
I won't argue there. I like that they at least feel distinct. Having an MCU and then an MCU lite would be terrible. I love a good grim and dark tale.

Then you might be happier with other DC properties, if they did them in the grim-dark style of the current movies. Characters like Deadman, The Creeper, The Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing (done right, not like in the '80s when everything was camp). Certain Batman cycles would certainly qualify too.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Then you might be happier with other DC properties, if they did them in the grim-dark style of the current movies. Characters like Deadman, The Creeper, The Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing (done right, not like in the '80s when everything was camp). Certain Batman cycles would certainly qualify too.

Yep. And I have enjoyed some of them. Mostly the darker Batman flicks. I think also, with DCU, there isn't as much name recognition as with other comics. For me at least. My father collected comics, so I had a lot of time to read a wide variety, and I just can't remember that many DCU heroes. *shrug*

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yep. And I have enjoyed some of them. Mostly the darker Batman flicks. I think also, with DCU, there isn't as much name recognition as with other comics. For me at least. My father collected comics, so I had a lot of time to read a wide variety, and I just can't remember that many DCU heroes. *shrug*

Spider-man, Hulk, and the Fantastic 4 would have been my sum total of Marvel knowledge before the movies told me about them. Now it seems weird that once I didn't know who Iron Man was!

DC-wise, my knowledge is broader - Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green Arrow... I definitely read more DC comics as a kid!

Ryujin

Legend
Spider-man, Hulk, and the Fantastic 4 would have been my sum total of Marvel knowledge before the movies told me about them. Now it seems weird that once I didn't know who Iron Man was!

DC-wise, my knowledge is broader - Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green Arrow... I definitely read more DC comics as a kid!

I split myself fairly evenly between the two. Add to that some more esoteric stuff Like "Captain Canuck" from the '70s (currently making a bit of a resurgence in online video form) and the "Archie" comics which were the only thing I could find on cottage trips. I had stacks of DC "100 page Super Specials", some $0.10 and $0.12 face value Batman comics and $0.15 "Sergeant Fury and his Howling Commandos" until my younger brother decided to secretly sell them off for LESS than face value, to an unscrupulous flea market vendor.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls

It actually took me a while to realize the Fantastic 4 were Marvel. Though I knew of Iron Man and Thor, as well as Spider-man, Captain America, and the Hulk (who I do not enjoy). I don't know who Martian Manhunter is however.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases