Paizocon News: Demon Lords, Adventure Paths, and Ultimate Wilderness

Continuing the news coming out of Paizocon this weekend (see this article for the Starfinder version of this post) I continue to report on Wolfgang Baur's live photos of the banquet presentation. In this article we see the Book of the Damned (hi Orcus!), Two new adventure paths (Ruins of Azlant and War for the Crown), and the upcoming Ultimate Wilderness hardcover which features new feats, mounts, animal companions, magic items, and a new Shifter base class.

DA4r_pCVwAAfGef.jpg

For Pathfinder: the Book of the Damned. Ships September with Orcus, Juiblex, and many others.

DA4sktrV0AAwaMk.jpg

Next Adventure Path is Ruins of Azlant; starts at Gen Con. Traditional fantasy with aboleths.

DA4tFJuUwAA08P4.jpg

War for the Crown AP starts in Taldor in 2018. A return to asskicking righteousness. Skullduggery and assassins!

DA4tsw7UQAIqvm8.jpg

Sneak peek of the new Ultimate Wilderness cover. New feats, mounts, animal companions, magic items.

DA4uLVRVYAAPJ5U.jpg

New Shifter base class in UW with full BAB and shape shifting. "Shifters are to Druids as paladins are to Clerics."

Ultimate Wilderness
The idea of the shifter is really one of the few class ideas I'd really support. A dedicated shapeshifer class is a niche in the game and one the system hasn't handled well.
The rest of Ultimate Wilderness *could* be cool if it takes its cues from the Wilderness Survival Guide, and is as much for the DM as players. Hexploration and types of wilderness, terrain, mapping, etc. But I doubt that... I expect a whole lot of new wilderness archetypes.

War for the Crown

Paizo went kinda generic in their APs for a little while. Having stuff that was only loosely set in their world and didn't really change anything. Because they wanted to save that stuff for DMs, rather than tie off their coolest plot threads*. For their last few they've really gone back to stuff set tightly in their campaign setting. This continues the trend, really tying into Taldor, one of their larger nations.
It also mentioned advancing the timeline slightly, which makes total sense. The last time the timeline actually changed was the year 4710. The original campaign setting had the year as 4708 while the revised printed added entries for 4708, 4709, and 4710. The current year is *technically* 4717 and while we know what happened in 4713 (Reign of Winter), so far nothing has officially happened in the Inner Sea in six years. It is getting to the point where enough time has passed that young figures, like the Princes Eutropia of Taldor, would have grown up and should be enacting their plans.

* I have issues with this. Okay, some of the plot threads that may or may not impact the world should be left alone. But anything that alters nations should occur in an AP, so an eventual future version of the campaign setting can reflect those events, rather than having the world be static despite passing time. (Or Paizo just needs to stop advancing the Golarion timeline with the real world timeline.)
DMs can always choose to ignore APs or set their own adventures before the AP if they like the nation. Or veer from canon.
Plus, "leaving things so DMs can tell their own stories" assumes that every DM will be able to tell a story as cool as the one in an AP. Many will not...

Book of the Damned

On paper this is the kind of book I will actually buy a hardcover copy of, despite no longer playing or running Pathfinder. Because details on demon lords and archdevils and the outer planes can work in any version of D&D. And with WotC not releasing a Manual of the Planes, this and hopefully future books on the good and elemental planes, will serve a similar function.
But... I already own the three Book of the Damned softcover books. While only 64-pages each, this one likely contains a good 50+ pages more content. But I'm uncertain how much of that will be the lore and details of Hell and the Abyss that I crave.

Starfox

Adventurer
Ultimate Wilderness
The idea of the shifter is really one of the few class ideas I'd really support. A dedicated shapeshifer class is a niche in the game and one the system hasn't handled well.
The rest of Ultimate Wilderness *could* be cool if it takes its cues from the Wilderness Survival Guide, and is as much for the DM as players. Hexploration and types of wilderness, terrain, mapping, etc. But I doubt that... I expect a whole lot of new wilderness archetypes.

Paizo has published their hexcrawl rules in Kingmaker, but are they described in full in any other book? I think this will be the core of this book.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Paizo has published their hexcrawl rules in Kingmaker, but are they described in full in any other book? I think this will be the core of this book.

The Mummy Mask adventure path uses the hexcrawl rules in chapter 3.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases