Age of Sigmar RPG Coming From Cubicle 7

Following up from the (long known but) recently announced Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 4th Edition game coming later this year, Cubicle 7 has announced that they will also be producing a Warhammer Age of Sigmar game. Age of Sigmar is an "epic tale of heroes, gods and monsters fighting a desperate battle for the fate of the Mortal Realms". The two games won't be compatible - they will be two entirely different lines with different rulesets. The announcement is below.

AoSRPG Logo 1200.jpg

Games Workshop and Cubicle 7 Entertainment have announced the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game, for release in 2018.
Warhammer Age of Sigmar is Games Workshop’s epic tale of heroes, gods and monsters fighting a desperate battle for the fate of the Mortal Realms.

Dominic McDowall, Cubicle 7 CEO said, “The Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting is fantasy at its most imaginative. The Mortal Realms are fascinating, highly evocative and hold endless possibilities for roleplaying. I am enormously excited to explore them with the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game!”

This news follows Cubicle 7’s announcement of the fourth edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay for release in 2017. These two games will be independent game lines with different rulesets.
SaveSave
SaveSave

I think this was a wise choice by Cubicle 7. If they had only made an Age of Sigmar version then they would have annoyed all the previous Warhammer Fantasy RPG players. GW probably wouldn't allow them to just do an old world RPG only, so they make 2 different versions. Everybody wins.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Because we all need yet another version of a Warhammer RPG.

When C7 is making a game, you forget all prior versions and prepare for the absolute best quality and care. They never get the yet another meme. All of the external quality of a FFG book with all of the internal quality of an Evil Hat book.

Dire Bare

Legend
I would be interested in one set of rules with two settings, the Old World and the Age of Sigmar. But two different, incompatible games? Overload. Not interested.

ilsundal

Villager
I don't recall a single post from an Age of Sigmar fan here at ENworld. Who actually wants an Age of Sigmar RPG?

As for two different rule sets, this makes sense (to me at least) because the Old World and Age of Sigmar settings are so different, and thus will benefit from different rule sets to support their different different mood and feel. Cubicle7 are known to do exactly that: develop rule sets that closely match and support the setting. Which is one reason I love their products.

R

RevTurkey

I have played 1st and 2nd Edition WHFRP. I liked 1st Edition better and I bought the old hardback book day one if I remember rightly. I loved the artwork, in particular the pencil drawings and the game was terrific too.

I didn't like the magic system in the 2nd Edition and I can't remember enough about the 1st Edition to say much except that I remember it not having many spells. I hope that is something they can do something new with and make it more interesting for me within the core rulebook or books.

Age of Sigmar? Two new games... I have googled this AOS thing and from what I can see it is much more overblown and epic and shiny compared to the original style. Not really my thing on paper but a lot of people like that sort of Mythic/Superheroic fantasy.

It seems like a win-win as long as they have enough manpower at C7 to handle the workload without diluting either game. I've been impressed with the quality of their recent publications. Very high quality...if any company can do this right it would be them.

Maybe they can produce the game that makes this AOS setting shine and make it fun to get players on-board as it seems to be an unpopular thing amongst roleplayers at the moment...certainly on this website. Perhaps they can produce something to entice me to give it a try. At the moment I'd be more interested in the 'Old World' version from the sound of it.

My gaming group is actually about to start playing the FFG 3rd Edition sometime soon. We have only just got around to it so it's funny that the new versions have been announced. We also have the Zweihander game coming along soon to play as well. I guess we had best get a wriggle on if we want to have our time free to try out these new editions from Cubicle 7! Just so many cool games and not enough time...

Personally, I loved the chaotic sorcery of the 2nd edition. 1st edition's major criticism was largely centred on it's pedestrian magic system (a sort of watered down BRP spell point system with little flavour). The 2nd edition system, which was actually partially developed through the long awaited 1st edition supplement Realms of Sorcery, quite literally adds much needed colour to the game and projects the dark, chaotic themes of the setting really well.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases