MYTHICA - GOOD LOW BUDGET FANTASY MOVIES?

Water Bob

Adventurer
Just stumbled across these films. Mythica.

Evidently, there's a ton of them. Looks like crap. Looks very "D&D", though. In the first trailer, the chick says, "I need a thief."

Kevin Sorbo is in some of them (maybe all of them, I'm not sure). They remind me of those cheapie 80's sword & sorcery flicks like Hawk The Slayer, The Sword & The Sorcerer, The Deathstalker flicks, The Warrior & The Sorceress, Sheena, and the like.

MYTHICA: A QUEST FOR HEROES

MYTHICA 2: THE DARKSPORE

MYTHICA 3: THE NECROMANCER

MYTHICA 4: THE IRON CROWN

MYTHICA 5: THE GODSLAYER

Like an TSR D&D adventure module series, huh?

Merrck.jpg

gjybkJf-XwdM_TYBoJ1D9qEjxsKfsp0x0JjR5Wy_q7FsKL4ZUk4XAlFsh7zp-NZqPw=w720

getImage

SURPRISE!

What surprised me about these films, and why I posted this here, is that they're actually getting decent reviews on Netflix. The first film, The Quest for Heroes, averages 3.2 stars, which means most of the 298 people who took the time to rate the film actually liked it.

Darkspore and Necromancer gets about the same with a similar number of reviewers. Crown gets the same rating with only 28 reviewers so far. And, Slayer isn't out yet.

Has anyone watched any of these films?

Ryujin

Legend
I backed these through Kickstarter and was quite pleased with the results. Obviously so, since I kept backing them. The story definitely hits the notes of bringing a D&D party together and then 'leveling up' over time.

Sorbo was just one of those recognizable name cameos, to help draw people in for funding. "The Mountain"** from "Game of Thrones" serves that purpose in the final film of the series.

**EDIT** Sorry it was "Hodor", not "The Mountain."

Last edited:

Water Bob

Adventurer
I've watched the trailers, and my eyebrow is raised. Can you tell us a little more about the films? What did you like? What did you not like?

Ryujin

Legend
I've watched the trailers, and my eyebrow is raised. Can you tell us a little more about the films? What did you like? What did you not like?

Be aware that the acting, while not egregious, is of the sort you might expect from a property featuring Kevin Sorbo. I don't mind 'hokey' and liked both "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys", and "Andromeda." YMMV.

There were a few things I liked about it. For a start, it plays out like it was written by a gamer; building the party and the concept that it's an adventuring group itself, the 'anything goes' tavern HQ, the general feel of everything... I like that they went with a female main protagonist and a flawed one at that. There were a few times that, cinematically, the scenery punched well above its weight. Utah must have some great locations for shooting a movie like this. The story is fairly compelling, even if it's been done before. For me, at least, the characters had a little depth beyond their obvious genre stereotypes.

Just don't expect "Lord of the Rings" ;)

Only took a couple of months for it to perambulate through my Netflix queue.

There’s stuff I liked, and stuff I didn’t like about the film. Some of it seemed a little formulaic. The CGI varies in quality.

But it does a heck of a job at doing more with less. Utah looks pretty cool subbing for a fantasy world. The action is convincing. If this had come out instead of Courtney Solomon’s D&D movie, we would probably have been talking about how they did a great job nailing the feel of the game.

Once you've seen it, come back and report! :cool:

I did add the next one to my queue. However, as demonstrated by this thread necromancy, that takes a while for me to get through!

Though the first movie works on its own, it definitely feels like it’s supposed to exist as part of a body of work.

Will you continue with the series?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases