Sell me on a good fantasy novel

If you like Sanderson’s attention to magic systems, maybe Charlie Holmberg’s Magician series? If you liked the grim aspects of The Black Company and Game of Thrones, Mark Lawrence’s Broken Empire trilogy might be up your alley.

The Naomi Novik’s Temeraire series is mostly quite excellent. It has a plethora of dragons, but no magic.

It’s definitely nontraditional fantasy, but I love the Gladstone’s Craft Sequence. Vastly imaginative stuff.

Re-read the Malazan book of the fallen :)

I really enjoyed :
- R Scott Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" and "Aspect-Emperor" series (The first serie is complete. The second serie continues 20 years later and the 4th and last tome is out this year)
- Mark T Barnes "Echoes of Empire" series (very good IMO even if it is "non-traditional" fantasy)
- Mark Lawrence's "Prince of Thorns" and "Red Queen's War" trilogies (I'm halfway thtough the 2nd trilogy)
- Peter V Brett's "Demon Cycle" series (pretty good. Last book comes out this year)
- Brent Week's "Night Angel" trilogy (good and complete)

Have a good read!

AR

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Wizard War by Hugh Cook - may not be able to find it as an E-book
The Thrall and the Dragon Heart by Elizabeth Boyer - may not be able to find it as an E-book
The Kane stories by Karl Edward Wagner
The Warhammer "Slayer" novels by William King
Bazil Brokentail by Christopher Rowley - may not be able to find it as an E-book

Dioltach

Legend
I'll add "Prince of Thorns" and its sequels, by Mark Lawrence, and "Rivers of Londen" by Ben Aaronovitch. Also "Snake Agent" by Liz Williams.

I know you mentioned that you didn't love Mistborn, but I do recommend another series by Sanderson. Start with The Way of Kings. Very interesting magic system and (I thought) a good plot that looks to expand even further. The third book to the series should be coming out soon.

carrot

Explorer
I haven't read many decent grim-dark books recently, but some enjoyable reads on the lighter side of the fantasy scale are:

Benedict Jacka's Alex Versus series. It's a bit like a British Dresden Files.
(I'd second Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London" for the same reason)
Michael J Sullivan's Riyria Chronicles series is entertaining too.

Mercurius

Legend
How about more details as to what you like (what are you favorites) and what exactly are you looking for? What flavors do you crave, don't crave? For instance, do you prefer grimdark or not? Do you want serious and epic, or light and campy? Traditional secondary world epic fantasy, urban fantasy, etc?

Remove ads