D&D 5E So How Long Will 5E Last For?

Oofta

Legend
Scott,

I like your picture of a smoking solider. I like that you are a fan of D&D. But I cannot disagree more on the 3e issue or the fact that 5e is boring.

Yes there were more options. I just did not like the focus on options for options sake. I did not like the necromancy, pastry baker, mime illusionist schoolteacher prestige class combinations. There were many more options and not many I would take and feel immersed in.

But you are not WRONG in what you like! You just apparently like finding new and interesting ways to link bonuses and abilities. I like it the extent that I would now rather play 5e than 1e. I almost can't believe I said it, but I did and it is true. I would play 1e again for kicks. But I would never ever never go back to 3, 3.5 or 3.75 again.

I suspect a lot of new players would find all the 3.x library a bit...thick.

What? But ... but ... what about my ability to pretend I have vampire croissants? They're made of real vampires!

Not that I ever played a half orc barbarian chain fighter that took 2 levels of cleric so he could enlarge himself. No-sirree.

I enjoyed 3.5 well enough at lower levels, but for me much like 4E it stopped being as fun at higher levels (above 12th or so). Some of the 5E classes get a little silly at higher level, but not nearly as broken as previous edition.

But to each his own. For some reason I cannot fathom people I know and otherwise respect rave about raw fish doused in green colored horseradish. No accounting for taste.

Valdier

Explorer
I would ideally like to just see a drop in replacement for the PHB that fixes many of the unbalanced spells, replaces the broken archetypes/classes, adds a few new ones, fixes the OP/UP feats, etc.

"We are using PHB 2 in this campaign" makes it super easy. It's compatible with the rest of the books released to date and is just a drop in fix for things.

discosoc

First Post
I'ma just leave this here:

View attachment 84736

I'm not sure how feasible that would be, though. D&D isn't software that gets patched with new rules (it *could* be if WotC stopped being idiots and started releasing PDF's...), which means revisions would eventually have to require new book purchases. And between those points, you have players needing to keep track of changes or additions? At best it would be nothing more than a Sage Advice style pamphlet, but at worst we'll have to go through confusing PHB revisions and telling the new guy that he bought the wrong copy or something.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm not sure how feasible that would be, though. D&D isn't software that gets patched with new rules (it *could* be if WotC stopped being idiots and started releasing PDF's...), which means revisions would eventually have to require new book purchases. And between those points, you have players needing to keep track of changes or additions? At best it would be nothing more than a Sage Advice style pamphlet, but at worst we'll have to go through confusing PHB revisions and telling the new guy that he bought the wrong copy or something.

Yup. Thus is one of the reasons I want a huge fan of the 4E Insider. It could change without me noticing and could be out of sync with my physical book in use at the table. Even if I was willing to go all digital, at least a couple of my players have no interest, so there's that.

Late in 4th edition there was the esentials product line.
It was 4th edition compatibel though it die have some rules changes, but you could play a essentials character in a 4th core game or a character made with the 4th core rules in a essentials game.

It might be interesting to have a alternatieve 5th core compatibe rule set.
As upto now the products where forgotten realms based , it might be interesting that if they decide tot do another campaign setting they would creatie a 5th core compatibel rule set for that campaign setting

And if that rule set would Become more popular then the 5th core rules they would become the new core rules, and the current core rules would Be renamed tot the forgotten realms rules set

Wulffolk

Explorer
I am already playing 6e. As a matter of fact, I am always playing 1 edition ahead of what everybody else is. I say this because the D&D that I play is always modified so much by house rules that it could very well be considered a different edition.

Unfortunately, the very exclusive play-test version of my personal edition stands very little chance of making it to print because WotC usually has their own ideas. :erm:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Instead trying to generate more revenue buy releasing a new edition, I really wish they would make use of their parent company and start selling affordable miniatures, terrain, battlemaps and other gaming aids. It seems that Hasbro could release a set of gaming material for each AP. I don't mean the wiz kids random lines nonesense. Sell a campaign in a box. Have the Curse of Straud with all the minis (or cardboard stand-up 2D minis to make it more affordable) and battlemaps — everything you need to run the game as a DM. For some settings, these may even be marketable as general play sets.

The APs have done well, in part, because 5e brought back many adult gamers into the fold who don't have the time to spend hours world building, miniature building, and terrain crafting.

I am already playing 6e. As a matter of fact, I am always playing 1 edition ahead of what everybody else is. I say this because the D&D that I play is always modified so much by house rules that it could very well be considered a different edition.

Unfortunately, the very exclusive play-test version of my personal edition stands very little chance of making it to print because WotC usually has their own ideas. :erm:

Me, too.

But, I'm likely using a different set of playtest documents than you are. ;)

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I have never been less interested in D&D than I am with this edition. It feels like being in a drought waiting for relief, but I don't think it will be another edition from WotC that provides it. So I don't believe another reiteration churning out the same warmed-over leftovers is anything to look forward to at this point. I mean, if you think about it, what kind of legacy does this edition have to pass into the next one besides a lot of revamped older legacies from previous editions?

One man's opinion, of course. I don't hate it so much as I am just uninspired by it. The most interesting parts to me have actually come from third party products, which ironically come from other systems or editions (i.e. Thrune, Middle Earth, etc.) But since I am in the minority, I have settled in for one long dry spell. On the plus side, this edition has freed up my expenses to invest in different game systems that I might not have normally invested into, and now am thoroughly enjoying something better suited for my tastes! :)

The king is dead. Long live the king!

I disagree with pretty much everything in the OP. I also disagree with Mike: I think 6e will come with the corporate strategy guys ask for it, and it will be the D&D business line's job to make sure people want it.

That said, I'm a happy camper, and it's only been three years. I've completed one campaign to 18th level as a player, currently playing one campaign at 16th level, and DMing one campaign at 19th level. Plus the odd one-shots and convention events. I still haven't played or DMed any of the published campaigns, though I'll be running SKT next. There's still a ton of 5e I haven't even begun to explore.

A 50th Anniversary Edition seems like a smart wager.

Remove ads