Help Fleshing out My Campaign Idea

Falcon42

First Post
Hi all,

I've had a campaign idea rolling around in my head for years now, and have decided (finally) to put it down in writing so as to play it in a game of D&D. I'm not one who can just let the prose flow like some of you who have that gift, so this has been more of an exercise of organizing my ideas with bullet points. I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me flesh this out a bit as I'm excited to finally be doing this! I'll detail what I have in the next post. :)

Falcon42

First Post
Campaign Idea: The Legacy of Man

• The One Above All- main deity, represented by the sun.
• The One created his 4 daughters, represented by the world and 3 moons. The world is the youngest (4th) child. After he created them He bade his daughters to share in his works and create life as well.
• The eldest daughter did nothing as she was very vain and only cared for herself. The 2nd daughter was talented but careless. She created life but did not tend to her creations and so they did not survive on their own. The 3rd daughter did _?_. The 4th daughter, however, was very talented and nurtured her creations. Life flowed abundantly upon her in many shapes and forms and her selflessness pleased The One greatly. Her crowning achievement was the race of Man. She soon became His favored daughter.
• The other daughters were jealous of her gifts and the praise He gave to her. They constantly vied for his attention but nothing they did would please Him like the 4th could. In their jealousy, they conspired to spoil her creations.
• The elder daughters searched far and wide for an idea, further than even One Above All knew existed. The 1st travelled into the deepest shadows of nothingness and came upon the Veil Which Binds, and it was there she first heard the whispers from beyond the Veil.
• In that infinite void the voices called to her, promised her a gift for her father that would surely be the greater than anything he had seen before; a gift that would also undo the 4th’s creations, for those beyond the Veil saw and hated the race of Man. She would only need to agree to let their unknown benefactors pass through the Veil.
• She quickly returned to tell the 2nd and 3rd, who both agreed to the plan. The time soon came and they went to the One Above All.
• *THINGS HAPPEN* (Yup, need help here.)
• The Voices from Beyond pierce the Veil. All kinds of Hellish and nightmarish creatures pass through and attack all life they find. The One Above All fights valiantly to protect his domain, but fights a losing battle. All would have been lost if not for the 4th daughter for she called upon the life she created to help save existence, and Mankind answered.
• Mankind helped turn the tide of the battle, and in the end, were victorious, but at a great cost. The One Above All and his daughters spent most of their divine powers protecting the life of their domain, and nearly perished. One of his last gifts to his 4th daughter was to “hide” the race of Man by splitting them into 3 subraces, one each symbolic of Mind, Body, and Soul.
• They might have survived, but are changed. The 4th daughter became the vessel for her creations to live upon. Her father vigilantly circles her in a fruitless effort to push back the darkness. His other daughters still vie for his attention, orbiting around the 4th, coming between her and their father causing eclipses and periods of twilight.
• These shadowy periods are where those from Beyond can find small tears in the Veil and sneak through. Those that do find their power also diminished, but for each that escapes through their power slowly grows. They hunt for anything they can find which might allow them to sunder the veil again and return in masse to snuff out all life.

Calithorne

Explorer
These are great ideas, but all have to do with divinities and mythological events.

I would suggest you introduce some human characters to continue the story forward to the present day of your campaign world.

Falcon42

First Post
Yes, that is the plan, thank you! :)

I just figured that it would be good to work this out a little more to "lay the foundation" before I move onto the next part.

pogre

Legend
Interesting material. I'm always amazed how differently folks approach building a campaign. I always start small and build up. Typically, my campaigns start with mapping out an area of wilderness or section of a city. I get into myth and religion more on a "as needed" basis.

Trying to help - could the 3rd daughter's creation have something to do with undeath and necromancy? Unliving that prey on life. Just a thought.

Remove ads