Wonder Woman Spoilery Review

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The boat travel could have been explained with lines:
Steve: I don't understand it, we should have been travelling for days.
Wonder Woman: The boats of Thermyscera are blessed by the god Poseidon to travel safe and fast, going to the place desired quickly.
Steve: Questioning look...

Also, again big battle in poor light and darkness.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
According to Wikipedia:

- originally "somewhere in the Pacific"
- WW TV show is Bermuda Triangle in the Atlantic, called Paradise Island
- 2009 animated movie Aegean Sea (off the Med, between Turkey and Greece)
- Bermuda Triangle again in post-crisis comic books
- currently has the magical ability to teleport to any location or time period (!)

ccs

41st lv DM
The theft of the notebook made no sense. Who does live tests of experimental weapons in the middle of a busy base? With no security? With key documents left out for any passers by to steal?

Insane comic book/movie bad guys do this stuff. Geesh, it's like some of you are completely ignorant of the genre

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Traditionally, Thermyscera is in the Bermuda Triangle, which is where it looks to be when it starts zooming in on the globe.
Obviously too far to sail to London in a few nights. Let alone fly a WWI plane there.
Although, it's only implied they have it in a single night. Because a long travel montage is needless.
Steve starts in Turkey and ends in the Bermuda Triangle when he could have gone to London with his magical plane?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I too was initially bothered by Diana's power level at the end being far beyond what we saw in Dawn of Justice. But recall the scene where she seems to play with the electrical energy coursing around her arms. Ares threw this energy at her, and she seemed to absorb it (like Yoda and Force lightning). I rationalize this as an aspect of her being the godkiller. She can absorb energy attacks from other gods and redirect it back. So she can have godlike power when facing gods. When facing non-gods (like Doomsday), she's at the level we see in Dawn of Justice. That's my theory, FWITW.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think I noticed a power difference between the two films. She seems basically Superman level power in both by the end of WW.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Argyle King

Legend
I thought the movie was alright. Over-hyped, but still enjoyable and one of the better DC movies

My main complaints were that the end fight scene seemed pretty lame*, and that the male lead often came across as a discount version of Captain America**.

*I expected more from the God of War.
**Does having a team of commandos and sacrificing yourself in an airplane at the end of a World War ring a bell?

I don't think it can quite make up for the time travelled, but the boat did actually not sail all the way to London - they found a tug boat or fisher boat with engines that dragged them into London.

This is basically my biggest issue with all superhero movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the problem with them is that a lot of action happens, but no real story or character development. And if they happen, they go under in all the SFX (and the unbelievability of people discussing the finder points of their ethics while they shoot lightning bolts and rockets at each other.) And there is that usual formulaic element of the hero going down, being severely weakened, and almost beat, and then finding the strength within to rise up. It's kinda neccessary to have that, but it's too predictable nowadays.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Vastly superior to most superhero movies in my opinion.

I agree.

My top list of superhero movies is:

1) Iron Man #1.
2) Deadpool
3) Guardians of the Galaxy #1 / Wonder Woman

The first Iron Man was a darn near perfect superhero movie.

Deadpool was a LOT of fun. However, I'm not entirely certain about him being a superhero. He's basically just a sarcastic, smart-mouthed, thug-for-hire who gets screwed over, gets superpowers, and then goes on a revenge spree, the end of which happens to coincide with rescuing the woman he loves.

Guardians was more fun than Wonder Woman, but a lot of that comes down to nostalgic music choice. Putting that aside, along with my having low expectations when going into GotG, I have to say the movies are tied. Story-wise, the two films are either of equal quality, or with WW a little in the lead.

Remove ads