D&D 5E Are You Excited about Tomb of Annihilation?

I don't know. I like ToH, I like the various things they are pulling together. But they have all been done before.

Where's the originality? Give me something NEW. Not more of what I've seen before over the last few decades. Sure, they have a large and awesome pool of ideas to pull from, but I can pull from that too. Why do I need one more interpretation of something I bought years ago?

How about a new place, new names, new plots, new new new?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
For me it will depend on how easily sliced up the sections are. I don't need a campaign on a plate, I need the pieces and tools to construct a campaign. They had me (a bit) at jungles and dinosaurs, but if the adventure isn't useful there's no point in buying the book.

It only encourages them.

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
I'm indifferent.

A jungle adventure is so very, very D&D. And I love an Indiana Jones vibe (even have a costume to cosplay). I don't think it's a coincidence that Indiana Jones and tomb robbing D&D adventures appeared at the same time in the late '70s to early '80s.

I can't wait for my players to travel to the Isle of Dread in my current campaign (if they choose...) and maybe also do Dwellers of the Forbidden City and Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (about the two coolest names for an adventure ever!)

But... I'm not keen on undead. Maybe because the current adventure I'm running has piles of undead at the end but mostly because I couldn't care less about Acererak. At least remakes or reimaginings makes the buy/not buy decision easier.

It'll have to have some good set pieces to strip out to make me buy it.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
As a DM, I'm indifferent. I don't run pre-published adventures. I tend to buy sourcebooks rather than modules.

As a player...I'm sure I'll be playing it at some point or another, simply because the only way I get to play is by playing Adventure League and a lot of the local Adventure League DM's like to run stuff out of the books. But I'm still rather indifferent. :p

GameOgre

Adventurer
Levels 1-11......again. Oh boy? Yawn
Set in the realms again? Well who's have thought? Yawn

This will be the first adventure I don't buy. I don't run them anyway but there are nice to steal ideas from ect... but I just don't need another low to mid level adventure.

They are seriously starting to put me asleep.

Also this could have easily been a knock out of the park!

Levels 11-20+? Now that might have woken people up.

Also that would have been Acererak level range!

This is kinda stupid. Acererak is the biggest baddest Lich around but your mid level adventurers are going to steamroll over him?

This adventure is going to have a poor shadow of Acererak as a villain.

Last edited:

Salamandyr

Adventurer
This reminds me of Marvel's Earth X stories, or Steven King's Dark Tower series; big involved, stories that involve deep knowledge of previous canon. That's not a bad thing, and thanks to their opening up of previous editions content, all that old canon is available.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Whats next?

Vecna Lives Yet Again a Adventure for levels 1-3!
Vecna will destroy the world if your brand new wet behind the ears adventurers don't stop him! Oh nevermind he was killed by that flumph.

Levels 1-11......again. Oh boy? Yawn
Set in the realms again? Well who's have thought? Yawn

This will be the first adventure I don't buy. I don't run them anyway but there are nice to steal ideas from ect... but I just don't need another low to mid level adventure.

They are seriously starting to put me asleep.

Also this could have easily been a knock out of the park!

Levels 11-20+? Now that might have woken people up.

Also that would have been Acererak level range!

This is kinda stupid. Acererak is the biggest baddest Lich around but your mid level adventurers are going to steamroll over him?

This adventure is going to have a poor shadow of Acererak as a villain.

11-20? And sell a fraction of what a 1-11 book would sell?

That is what DMs Guild is for now. All those aspiring high-level adventure writers can take any of the published adventures and write high level content meant to take place after the end of the published adventure.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I don't know. I like ToH, I like the various things they are pulling together. But they have all been done before.

Where's the originality? Give me something NEW. Not more of what I've seen before over the last few decades. Sure, they have a large and awesome pool of ideas to pull from, but I can pull from that too. Why do I need one more interpretation of something I bought years ago?

How about a new place, new names, new plots, new new new?

I think the resurrection magic angle seems pretty original. I don't recall that ever being the focus of a story before.

GameOgre

Adventurer
11-20? And sell a fraction of what a 1-11 book would sell?

That is what DMs Guild is for now. All those aspiring high-level adventure writers can take any of the published adventures and write high level content meant to take place after the end of the published adventure.

Saying something will not sell well with zero proof doesn't make it so.

So your telling me that the player base that just played games from 1-11 like 5 times in a row doesn't have 11+ characters to play it? they wouldn't want it?

You failed that DC check.

Remove ads