Aryana Online Interlude

Corey

First Post
Approaching Phrada your group exchanges various bits of information you have acquired, mostly through Mehdi.

The city is ruled by a Council of Tyrants. They are reputed to be just rulers. The merchant family of Tissaphrenes dominates much of the city’s trade. Eskander’s Legion, a mounted mercenary regiment, calls the city home. Once fabulously wealthy, the city is in an accelerating decline. With the region’s primary north-south trade route now going through the Sind Killers, the caravans of days past are few. The sack a Saeedah-Bel, the next city north of Phrada and a vital link on the Path of Riches, a decade ago appears to be the seal on Phrada’s fate.

At the Lion’s gate, adorned by two carved lions facing each other, your band is eagerly eyed by tax men. They are quickly discouraged by the letter of introduction you fortuitously acquired the previous day. Your tale of the dead camp of Metazernes is received with great pleasure, the guards seem not to notice when you say the slavers were eliminated before your arrival. Their hard stares dissolve into back-slaps, smiles, and invitations to “down a few” when you can. Runners scurry off to inform the appropriate officials of the welcome news. Also, you quickly learn that a large contingent of Jehna’s population is finding shelter within the city wall.

Inside the city, you find its residential areas amazingly empty. It is recalled that Mehdi once mentioned that the city can hold twice the number of people who now live in it.

Reaching the slum set aside for Jehna’s refugees brings relief and sadness. Indeed, some of you are reminded of the squalor in which the orcs subsisting outside Jehna’s wall lived. The refugees have food and shelter, but only just. They are mostly women, children, the old and infirmed. Trash, growing foul in the hot sun, lines the streets.

An overwhelmed Aeschylus, Cato’s fellow servant of Avasara, is the first familiar face you meet. He seems both relieved and crushed at Naraka’s return. Cato’s patient lessons bear fruit when Naraka approaches Aeschylus and grips the symbol hanging from the young man’s neck.

“I….to learn….of…..Avasara,” he slowly sounds out. Aeshchylus’s tears fall without shame. He has his former master led off, to be initiated into the service of the Creator.

News of your family, friends, and other people of concern comes first.

Deinon’s fate is unknown.

Alexandra, with a letter penned by Deinon, was received at the home of Kamshad Tissaphrenes. She is staying there in comfort, guarded by the long-serving Cyrus.

Equlia resides within the hastily established Sanctum serving the refugee community. Her reason has returned, but she is troubled by fits of violent shaking during which she screams aloud names, Arrousha’s speech, and occasionally bits of disturbing, oddly phrased poetry. In her lucid moments she insist the names are those souls being sucked in the Abyss following sacrifice. The language of the poetry has been identified as Abyssal; its meanings are praises to Sin. Her habit of spontaneously shouting “traitor god” after the mention of Avasara’s name is generating some hostility among the refugees. At times she can be heard muttering, “the best among us did not survive.” Another common utterance is Athanatos, Ionian for immortal. She denies any knowledge of such statements.

Just in view of where you stand, Bull sits legless in front of a ramshackle building whose roof may or may not be intact.

It is known that qadi Diyala and Emar Hazar were killed. Ismail and his Wearers of White went to make Epiphilates and his supporters pay in blood for their treachery, but exactly who in both groups was killed is unknown. It is well known that Thulyaar and the Paree were massacred before Jehna was opened to the enemy.

With the exception of Pardu Afrid, Jehna’s leadership is in the mountains with their warriors. Word is the Ghinn are constructing fortifications along the opening where the Darya River exits the mountains.

Catrika and Yasmeen the Fars are reputed to be living in a house near Phrada’s White Sanctum. Aeschylus notes that Zakariyah the Sanctist of the White Sanctum, has been greatly involved in feeding Jehna’s refugees, but his Redeemer views are at odds with Naraka’s teachings.

Your return is hailed among the refugees. Within moments of your greeting Aeschylus, Cato -the well-known servant of Avasara- and Cyris -the gate guard- are surrounded by well-wishers. Ajax too, is recognized by some and receives a few back-slaps. When it is learned that Tariq is with you, the good-will is extended to him as well.

Your defeat of the Ghinn at the tower is met with applause, the tale of your escape from Malficiance also generates a measure of happiness in these people who have been denied any good news for some time.

Pardu Afrid proclaims you all “of my house.” This statement confers upon you honorary membership in his tribe. He expresses his sincere hope you will fight at his side in the upcoming struggle and then goes off to see to his people. Leeya is also greeted by several unfamiliar members of the Nefrat tribe, and after her tale is related, they look upon Ajax with respect. You receive offers of accommodations from them.

Aeschylus has the mindless survivors taken to the building that serves as a Sanctum. You note that it is already spilling over with those in need of compassion.

Slowly, the crowd dissolves and –under a sun rising to its zenith-you are left to decide your course of action.

Last edited:

Ajax

Explorer
"I'll meet up with you guys at the sanctum, later," said Ajax as he surveyed the once great city. "That will give us time to take care of our own, personal business before we meet with Yasmeen, or Catrika, or whoever."
"I guess you'll take the livestock and stuff to there, since they've been feeding the refugees, I suppose it doesn't bother me too much," he says with a wink, trying to indicate that he knows it is the right thing to do even if it's going to cost him.
"I think we should hold on to the horses, at least for now, no telling where we're going from here, just yet."
Ajax seems unusually distant as he says this, like he has something weighing on him. The young man then strolls toward the maimed bodyguard of his former employer.
"Hello, Bull. Duros inside?"
Any reply he might have made is muffeled by the din of people on the street.

Corey

First Post
Cyris and Equila

Following Ajax’s departure, Cyris abruptly calls out to the departing Pardu Afid.

“My sister,” he says, “she served Naraka. I would like to ask you to let it be known that she is of ‘your house.’”

The Afridi returns and places a hand on Cyris’s shoulder.

“If tradition allowed, I would gladly honor your request,” Pardu says. Regrettably, our learned forefathers decided such an honored status –tribal protection without tribal obligations-may only be granted to those who have performed a great service for the tribe. However, if your sibling wishes to take an oath of loyalty she will be joined with the tribe. Just bring her to me. I will be in town for a few days before joining those fighting for our home.”

Pardu slaps Cyris’s arm and turns to the business of providing for his followers.

Cyris then turns and walks toward the make-shift Sanctum Aeschylus has established.

The mud-brick structure has gone un-repaired for many years. Its roof has recently received hasty repairs and only a few beams of sunlight shine though to the dirt floor.

Inside, the air is rancid with human sweat. The eyes of children and their mothers, along with those of the elderly and a few warriors whose wounds are crippling, turn toward the new arrival. A few mumble faint greetings to the former gate-guard. Aeschylus and a few unfamiliar servants of Avasara go about the business of ministering to the needy.

Equila, it seems, has gone to the public fountain to draw water.

An hour passes, but eventually she comes down the street, a water jug balanced on her head. Even in her excitement at seeing Cyris she remains self-possessed enough to place the container into the hands of a helper.

Her small arms do not go all the way around her brother’s muscular chest, she tries anyway. She lets go only when the pain from his sharp-edged armor becomes too much.

She is thinner and her face betrays a barely contained inner struggle.

Finding shade from the glaring mid-day sun, the two talk for some time.

Her faith seems deeper than ever. Since your party left Jehna, she has completed memorizing the Recitations. Unconsciously, she begins a critic of Militant and Collectivist theology. Her insights are scholarly. On several occasions after she praises Avasara her face goes dark and she spits out “traitor god!” She continues her discussion as if unaware of the interruption.
She rejects the idea of joining the Afrid tribe. She serves the Creator and will give her oath to no other.

DM’s notes: It will take Cyris a week to locate five people willing to hire on as Equila’s protectors. Two are twelve-year-old boys, one is a Hazar warrior whose right leg is gone below the knee, the other two are Ionians over fifty years in age. All of Jehna’s population that is of fighting age is involved in the fighting in the mountains. Armed with spears, they cost 40 drachma/month each (note: SBG). That’s 200 drachma/month you can pay as many months in advance as you like. If you want better weapons or armor pay x2 the PH price-there is a shortage of this as the local government is buying it all. If you want non-Jehna guards they will cost 80 drachma/month each- the government is hiring all the mercenaries in town also.

A simple house in a better district will cost you 8,000 drachma (note:MMS:WE). This is a very good price. A home in the slum is free and you can fix-it-up over a period of three weeks for 3,000 drachma. This would have space for her and a separate space for her gaurds.

You do not need to have any servants of Avasara check on her. She is under constant observation due to her position.

Tell me what you do/spend.

Corey

First Post
Ajax goes shopping

Emerging back into the daylight, Ajax decides the sun loves Phrada since it blesses the city with such abundant heat. Inquiries quickly lead to the filthy, almost collapsed hovel that is home to Ferishta Hazar, mother of Corum Hazar. The woman is obviously inebriated. She reeks of liquor. Her hands tremble from the aftereffects of other intoxicants. The news of her son’s death brings no reaction. The gift of coin however, brings a smile of pure delight. Behind her lips are teeth brown with decay and ready to fall from her head.

Of the mother of Mehdi Hazar, Ajax learns nothing.

As in many cities, Phrada has numerous street markets. These provide the items necessary for daily life: food, basic tools, and some cloth. Only the city’s Great Market will serve Ajax’s needs.
The immense Great Market tugs at some distant memory in Ajax’s head. The irregularly shaped open space is lined with the shops of Phrada’s long-established merchants. However, in line with the city’s decline- not all are occupied. Marble pillars also run around the space. Many of these were once colored red or yellow, but this practiced appears to have ceased and the piant is flaking off. Ancient trees provide shade for other traders and those who have come to pass time.

In short order Ajax locates a man willing to examine, and possibly buy, gems. The man announces his employer’s name: Roxana of Phrada. He is scrupulous in his findings on each of the precious stones. It is unclear whether this is just good business sense or the nearby presence of a fair-trading inspector.

Business complete, Ajax returns to what he now knows locals call the Empty Quarter, the abandoned slum where Jehna’s refugees reside.

DM’s notes: Ajax loses 300 drachma.

From the sale of the gems Ajax gains: 500 gold Mina and 10,600 silver drachma.

Ajax

Explorer
Ajax divides the cash into 4 parts, giving one to each of his friends when he next encounters them.
"He're's your share, 125 Mina and 2,650 Drachma," he tells them. "If you're not interested in money, give it to Aeschylus, he needs it to buy protection from the local thieves organization. Or just leave it on the ground if you like, I don't much care."
When asked about this "local thieves organization" Ajax replies, "The boss is called Roxana of Phrada. She shut Duros down when he came here. Not that it really mattered to me, I was going to tell Duros that I'm not working for him anymore. I might be a lot of things, but I'm no smuggler and no thief. Roxana's been demanding a fee from Aeschylus or she'll rough up the people he's been helping -- the refugees from Jehna. The Council of Tyrants is afraid to touch her because they'll need her support if it comes to war. Jehna's warriors are out in the mountains so they can't help, except for two or three I know fairly well," he says with a conspiritorial smile. "I've no idea what would happen, politically, if we got rid of her. Perhaps one of us should take up some of the men from Eskander's legion on those drinks they've been offering, see how that land lies."

Felix

Explorer
Cato bows his head and sighs; a long unexpected journey finished. But there is more to do. He picks his head up again.

"I need time to think on things, and we all desire to see those close to us. Cyris, Ajax: you can find me with Aeschylus and the Mindless at the sanctum in the slums. That is most likely where I will be. Tariq, you are welcome to come, of course. Please excuse me.

"Oh, and Ajax: that money belongs to the Mindless. It used to be the slavers' who profited from the imprisonment of human beings. The wealth they created will be turned to assist those ruined by it. Understand?"

With that Cato slowly saunters off to find a place to sit... to rest for the first time in weeks. And even at the point of resting there are so many things to do.

Sitting down next to a building, Cato pulls out his quill, ink, and a scrap of parchment.

Things to do List
-- Visit Zakariyah in the White Sanctum
-- Gain audience with the Council of Tyrants
----Appraise them of the motives of the Ghinn
-- Thank Eskander's Leigon for their courtesy
-- See Aeschylus' Sanctum
-- Visit Alexandra and Cyrus
---- Get word of Deinon
-- See to the Mindless

"There's no rest for the weary... and I do not desire the Long Rest just yet. Well, if He started creating the world at the Beginning, that's where I shall start."

Cato stands up, sighs again, and takes two steps down the road before remembering that he has no idea where he's going.

"Pardon me, which way to the White Sanctum?"

Last edited:

Ajax

Explorer
"First, not all of that money was the result of booty from the slavers.
Second, the sale of trade goods and livestock had been all I ever agreed to donating to the mindless.
You are free to give as much of your share to the mindless as you like. I already helped save their lives, I'm pretty comfortable with what I've done for them. Just because your vows and personal philosophy require a certain level of altruism, doesn't mean that the rest of us agree with them or abide by them.
You always act like you don't want any money, but then try to dictate how the rest of us should spend ours. From now on, you're getting a share. Give it to the mindless, give it to the sanctum, give it to the first wealthy landowner you meet, drop it on the ground where you stand, I don't care, just don't tell me what to do with mine."
Ajax's anger is gone as quickly as it came as he moves on to other matters. "Maybe someone from the sanctum should look in on Corum's mother, if they have the time. She was pretty deep into her cups when I saw her. I wanted to do something, but saving people from themselves is not really my speciality."

Felix

Explorer
Turning around to listen to the rest of Ajax's tirade, Cato resigns himself to the rogue's anger, and listens patiently. After his unusual thoughful comment about the welfare of Corom's mother, Cato responds tiredly.

"Not all of that money was the slavers' booty? Well, keep what wasn't. That which was taken from the slavers shall be returned to those that suffered from them, however, including the livestock. And don't get me wrong, it is not out of alturism that I am doing this. The money was never mine, so how can I give it? The money is the incarnation of the Mindless' stolen freedom, and you are willing to barter with it? You are willing to enjoy the luxury provided by the enslavement and death of innocents? Perhaps I misjudged you..."

Ajax

Explorer
"It's not about them being mindless. The slavers can, at best (worst?) only be be blamed for that indirectly. Furthermore, several of those who are mindless were, most likely, slavers. How do they fit into your scheme? I'm all for teaching them, but I'm not going to shed a tear about their loss of identity, we were going there to kill them anyway, so they're getting off better than they would have if we'd found them first. As for the others...

I find you're sudden interest in the welfare of slaves and opposition to the institution of slavery interesting. I wonder how often you spoke out about the "incarnation of stolen freedom" to Seha Nefrat when he would raid other towns and take their people prisoner. I don't seem to remember you so much as raising an eyebrow when he came back to Jehna last spring with a troop of Bastyaani who were destined for the mines.

And if you don't think that you are, already, "enjoying luxury provided" by the labor of slaves, look around you. Do you think the iron of your armor or your mace, or any other piece of metal on your body was mined by well-paid laborers who went home for some Chai in the evenings? Who do you imagine built some of the structures you've found shelter in or harvested some of the food you've eaten?
There's even a chance that a former slave named Ajax was the one who mined the lapis lazuli that many of these people around us wear. Good friends of mine died so that the wealthy in places like this could have a bit of extra glitter around their necks.
Don't preach to me about how rough slaves have it, I'm the one who actually lived it.

You can't convince me this isn't just personal. That this isn't just because this time, it was your people. I understand and respect wanting to take care of your own, and if you had asked instead of demanded, I might have been willing. But don't try to force me to. I'm not a slave anymore."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases