(IR) The 3rd IR, Turn 3 (thread 1)

William Ronald

Explorer
The Kevellond League and its allies (where I have been given permission to speak for allies) dig in its defenses against the Church of Shade. Trenches, land mines, and other defenses are set up. (See some of my e-mails, Edena).

The demigods Heward, Murlynd, and Keoghtom are asked to provide their insight into the prophecies of impending doom and the events behind it.

The Kevellond League and its allies work with the Union of Light and Shadow to reduce the worst effects of pollution and industrialization. Forest and glade preserves, meant to be kept pristine for the fey, were previously designated to be set aside. Allies are encouraged to take similar steps.

A message is sent to Koreth Zan, Father of Obedience.

To the Illustrious Father of Obedience, Supreme Ruler of the Scarlet Brotherhood, Lord Koreth Zan:

"We are forwarding all descriptions of Black Brotherhood agents found in the territory of the Kevellond League and its allies. No members allowed themselves to be captured alive."

"However, this information may make it useful for you to determine possible relationships between the deceased and currently living Black Brotherhood members."

"Also, we are curious about what you think of Lord Vecna's claims to be supreme ruler of the Suel people."

Respectfully,
Archcleric Hazen of Veluna, President of the Kevellond League

JohnBrown

First Post
IBKSC troop moves

Edena,

After quickly briefing my allies, I will move a 5 PL force, currently on defensive duty in the Cairn Hills into Shade controled Urnst. By your descriptions so far, I must assume that Urnst is unoccupied at the moment. If it is occupied please let me know by how much PL. I will also move a 5 PL force form the Bright Lands on defensive duty into the Abbor-Alz and annex them since, as far as I can tell no one claims them. Once the Abbor Alz is secure they will join the force in Urnst to give a total of 10 PL there.

John

Maudlin

First Post
William Ronald said:
"We are forwarding all descriptions of Black Brotherhood agents found in the territory of the Kevellond League and its allies. No members allowed themselves to be captured alive."
We gratefully receive your information. These names will be cross-checked with the names we surfaced ourselves.

"Also, we are curious about what you think of Lord Vecna's claims to be supreme ruler of the Suel people."
We understand he stems from some of the oldest and noblest bloodlines of our race, he certainly has a claim. Perhaps more importantly, he also has an army of millions.

Moreover, his call to establish a new Suel Empire in the West is finding some considerable support with the populace. Some matters remain to be resolved before we could ever consider following him, most pressingly his alliance with the Shade. They earn our respect, but their perversion of other races is troubling. The blood must remain pure. This above all.

----------------------------------------

Acererak notices along with everyone else that large parts of the world are found suddenly abandoned. Scouts are sent to the southern Hellfurnaces; if discovered to be empty, those lands will be brought into the fold, and bases established and fortified. Care is taken not to destroy any holdings there, in case the original owners want to reclaim their use.

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
John Brown!!!

JohnBrown said:
Edena,

After quickly briefing my allies, I will move a 5 PL force, currently on defensive duty in the Cairn Hills into Shade controled Urnst. By your descriptions so far, I must assume that Urnst is unoccupied at the moment. If it is occupied please let me know by how much PL. I will also move a 5 PL force form the Bright Lands on defensive duty into the Abbor-Alz and annex them since, as far as I can tell no one claims them. Once the Abbor Alz is secure they will join the force in Urnst to give a total of 10 PL there.

John

The County of Urnst is a part of the Dark Union (Edena has not yet updated the list, but the map shows our true borders). There is no "Shade controlled Urnst". Do you really want to fight the Dark Union?

---

I'm logging out until tomorrow. The Dark Union will not enter into any new conflicts until then. We continue to fight the rebels in the Grandwood (if they do not agree to be evacuated to Delrune).

Good night everybody.

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

Forrester travels back towards Realmspace, as noted.
He does not need to find the Angels this time; they find him.
They are waiting for him in the Ether between the worlds, and they prevent him from reentering Realmspace.
Beautiful, ethereal, transparent, with robes of gauze and slim, shining weapons, the Angels halt Forrester's magical travel, and form a ring around him in the Ether between the worlds.

Forrester speaks (as per his post above):

-Okay, boys. When Vecna himself comes to see me, and asks me diplomatically to leave, and warns me of the Darkness coming, I know that I'm in trouble.
I need to know what you know. The lives of millions of my troops, and tens and hundreds of millions of innocents on Oerth, hangs in the balance. I need to know.
What stirs? What comes?
Does it bear a particular animosity towards *me*, or all of Oerth?
If I were to leave Oerth, would it leave Oerth as well, and leave those that remained untouched -- or would it begin to devour THEM?
And you know Vecna far better than I do. I was made to understand he would love nothing more than the utter destruction of Oerth -- and of Toril. Is this little heartfelt speech on his part nothing more than a ploy? It seemed to be more -- but I can be fooled.
Am I endangering Oerth by being there?
Would I endanger it more by leaving?
Do you have any of the answers for which I seek?
I especially desire to know -- no, I MUST know -- whether this Great Darkness seeks me, and me alone, or whether it seeks to devour all of Oerth.

- - -

One of the Angels, shining face very solemn, steps forward, and with slender fingers points at Forrester's feet.
An image appears below Forrester, as if he were looking down into water.
Forrester sees himself in that mirror.
Then he becomes larger, and larger.
Then he is too large to fit in the mirror, and only a part of him is seen.
Then, only a patch of his skin is seen.
Then, the skin zooms in until the individual cells are visible.
Then, the image seems to pass through the cells, and Forrester is looking inside himself, at his own blood cells.
They are the classic red blood cells of a humanoid, and they seem perfectly fine.
The cells get bigger and bigger as the picture zooms in, and then Forrester sees the virus.

The image could have been that of a fine microscope, but no microscope ever invented could convey the raw evil, sheer necromantic power, and malevolant red gleam all emanating from those tiny life forms.
A magical virus, the result of some demented dream by a mind steeped in the deepest of insanity.
It is invariably fatal.
It is extremely contagious.
It is magical, so antibiotics are useless against it.
It is lurking in Forrester's blood, incubating. In 2 weeks, 3 weeks at the most, it will attack to kill.

But the Angel is not done. Forrester is pulled back forcibly from that vision, and he sees another one, and wishes that he had not.

A man is lying in bed. He is in an advanced state of this illness.
The skin of his hands and feet is gone, and underneath that the flesh has turned black, is dead.
The putriescence has spread throughout the man's body, and his flesh is dark with blood poisoning from the disease.
And around the man is a bright red mist, a mist centered around a glow coming from the man's heart.
Those trying to help the man shriek and look away from that red mist, blood running from their eyes, and the side of their bodies facing the red glow and bathed in it turning black with burns.
As for the man, he is screaming in a pain beyond imagination, as the disease attacks not only his body, but his soul. Blood pours from eyes, ears, nose, while pus and rot ooze from scores of holes in his flesh.
His body rots in minutes, shrinking as it does so, turning into a withered corpse, the red mist turning into a brilliant crimson sheen, but somehow that man is still alive, and still screaming - screaming silently, for his tongue and vocal chords have rotted away.
Finally, nothing remains but a skeleton and ash.
From the skeleton arises a brilliant white light, but the red smothers it, suffocates it, and it changes into an image of the man as he was in life.
The new undead rises, hideous delight in it's visage, disease in it's touch.
It swiftly moves from the bed, on it's unholy mission, for it's every touch will infect a new victim with the disease that killed it.

Forrester is pulled back from this vision also.

The Angel looking at Forrester is angry.
To Forrester, it looks and feels like he is looking into the sun, in the desert, at high noon.
He feels the anger of the other Angels too, all around him, like the shimmering heat from molten metal.

Angelic voices whispers:

You forsook Irongate ...
You forsook those who pleaded for your intervention ...
You forsook them to eternal suffering ...
You forsook them to endless horror and pain ...
You are guilty ...
Guilty ...
You have committed a great crime ...
You are guilty ...

The battering is like being hit by the blows of titans, from all sides, knocking Forrester first this way and that.
There is nothing he can do to avoid the blows.
No amount of self protection stops them from penetrating through.

Now will you forsake your people?
Will you leave them to die?
Will you allow those who trust in you to perish in this way?
Will you allow Oerth to perish in this way?
Will you forsake your people as you forsook Irongate?
Will you forsake your people as you forsook Irongate?
WILL YOU FORSAKE YOUR PEOPLE AS YOU FORSOOK IRONGATE?

Forrester sees another vision.
It is all but thrust into his head by a sledgehammer.

Vecna has returned to Shadow Throne.
The Shades and Vecna's undead are immune to the illness.
Vecna is laughing as he says:

The foolish Child.
He will return to Toril, and kill his own world.
What a shame, that I could not convince him to go myself.
Then I could have taken part credit in the destruction of Toril! How sweet that would have been!
But nay, I cannot take credit. I must give all due glory and credit to my friend the demilich.

Vecna raises his glass, cradling Ahlissa to his side.

All hail Acererak, bringer of death to the Torilians and traitors alike!
To his health! (Vecna chuckles) Well, to his Unhealth!

The vision fades.
Forrester faces a circle of angry Angels.

They speak in unison:

Go! Return to Oerth. You have a mission to accomplish, and a world to protect.
GO!

Forrester is hurled away by that final word, and returns to where he started on Oerth, stunned.
Anxious attendants come up to see what went wrong with the travel magic.
Forrester, looking around with detect magic and detect evil, sees it immediately.
The Torilian encampment is a sea of red, a sea of evil.
There must be hundreds of thousands of infections and incubations, and thousands more are starting every minute - literally.

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Do I really need to state the situation across the rest of Oerth and the Flanaess?

The same thing that is happening in the Torilian encampment, is happening everywhere.
Horrified clerics and mages see the whole of the Flanaess turning red with the incubating illness of Acererak.
It is spreading with the very winds of the world, to every part of the world.

As of the moment, the entire northern hemisphere of the planet is heavily contaminated, with the infection spreading rapidly to those still uninfected.
Isolated cases are turning up in Oerth's southern hemisphere and equatorial regions even now.

The Doomgrinder stands, bleak and tall, under iron grey skies.
The blades of the evil windmill stand perfectly vertical and horizontal, and are perfectly still, proclaiming the final Doom of the world has arrived.

- - -

Note that a Cure Disease spell will remove the disease from a single afflicted person (that person will remain immune to the disease afterwards, also.)
More powerful spells such as Heal will also, obviously, work to stop the disease.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases