fighter grappler build

This is my first thread so here goes:

I'm currently in a rather crazily unbalanced level 10 party, and since I don't like tanking with my sorcerer, I thought I would bring in a fighter. I want to try an idea I came up with of a grappler who self buffs, seizes with one hand and uses a shield as an improvised weapon in the other, (no, I did not copy captain america, I thought of it on my own). currently I have refined it down to the following build:

Giant, str 18, dex 10, con 16, wis 12, int 8, cha 13
Fighter 6:
I am thinking of going eldritch knight for the spell slots, defensive spells and familiar gerbil :), but am not sure

Favored sorcerer 4: extended and subtle spell will make enlarge and enhance ability go further and allow me to hesitantly forgo war caster. I will also be able to heal, (something my party somewhat lacks) and a goliath with thaumaturgy just sounds fun.

My DM allows for one extra feat at character creation, giving me access to 4. I will be taking tavern brawler and brawny, but am torn between sentinel, mobile, shield master, an +2str (I may also be able to get a belt of giant strength)

So my main questions are should I take eldtritch Knight or would other subclasses be more beneficial, and what feats should I take? Also what magical Items would be useful?

mellored

Legend
If your only going to be hitting people with a shield, then being a fighter isn't doing much for you beyond the extra feat.

I suggest valor bard. Which get's you self-buff spells, healing, multi-attack, as well as athletic's expertise which adds quite a bit to your grapple check.

Shield Master is a top feat for grapple builds, prone helps a lot.
Sentinel and mobile won't do too much since neither you or your target are likely to move much.

You still want warcaster and resilent (Con) at some point to help keep your concentration checks. Before +2 Str.

I had thought about bard, but with average dexterity I will hurt from not having any heavy armor, though I could take one level of fighter. with expertise I wouldn't need the brawny feat. Now you got me thinking. Thanks.

I suppose if I took 3 in lore bard, i can help people fail grapple checks, or in satire, I could close gaps and dash after people. Then I would need either 3 in sorcerer or 7 in eldritch knight to get enlarge, which could be important in wrestling dragons.

Last edited:

Konge

First Post
Take care to take Fighter as your 1st level class then, as that's the only way (I can see) to get Heavy Armour w\o wasting a Feat.

Konge

First Post
Also, you might like to consider taking a Loxodon (as I have) from "Guildmasters of Ravnica" for an extra grappling "Arm". :)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Also, you might like to consider taking a Loxodon (as I have) from "Guildmasters of Ravnica" for an extra grappling "Arm". :)

If you are going Ravnica races for a grappler, I am also fond of a Simic Hybrid. Can get +1 STR which the Loxodon can't, and at 5th level you can pick grappling appendages. There are two of them, you can make unarmed strikes as d6+STR with them, and if you use a normal attack you can bonus action grapple after a hit. Plus you get either gliding, climbing, or underwater - all great things for moving a grappled opponent to (under water, over a drop, or up a wall).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Other ways to get expertise - Rogue 1, or be human/half-elf and take the Prodigy feat from XGtE. Not saying better, just letting you know.

Konge

First Post
If you are going Ravnica races for a grappler, I am also fond of a Simic Hybrid. Can get +1 STR which the Loxodon can't, and at 5th level you can pick grappling appendages. There are two of them, you can make unarmed strikes as d6+STR with them, and if you use a normal attack you can bonus action grapple after a hit. Plus you get either gliding, climbing, or underwater - all great things for moving a grappled opponent to (under water, over a drop, or up a wall).
Thank you. I started with that Idea, but wasn't keen on the aesthetics. Besides, I think my party might not have been so happy with a Simic Hybrid in Waterdeep. And, I'm happy with my background/story.

Remove ads