D&D 5E The Lost Citadel: a new apocalyptic 5E setting from Green Ronin

Seven decades ago, there were cities upon cities.

Kingdoms and nations; the remains of ancient empire. Cultures at war and cultures at trade. Humans, dwarves, elves, and others. Magic and monsters, rare but real. And so it was for millennia, through two dynamic ages the lorekeepers and scribes called Ascensions.

Until the world ended.

Most call it the Fall, but whatever term a given people choose to use, it marked the time when everything changed.

Nations crumbled. Races died. Magic sputtered. Nature sickened.

The dead woke.

Welcome to Zileska, a world ravaged by death and undeath.

Seven decades ago, the Second Ascension came to a brutal end in a worldwide cataclysm called the Fall. During this period of stark decline, magic began to fail, and as it did, the world's fallen began to rise from their graves. Whether because the doors to the Underworld flew from their hinges, or because the God of the Dead went mad (a popular theory), the end result was the same.

As the tide of death swept across the lands of Zileska, taking with it city after city, the remnants of each fractured culture and racial hold began to retreat to the same place of sanctuary — the mountain citadel of the dwarves, called Elldimek.

Seven decades is a long time, however. More than enough time to watch refugees become rulers; to see hosts become slaves in their own homes.

Elldimek is no more. It has become the city of Redoubt, so named and decreed in the Accord of Last Redoubt — a treaty of surviving human cultures. Under its terms, the dwarves were stripped of their claims to the city, and those dwarves who weren't executed or exiled became slaves to human masters. In the time since the Accord, some have earned back their freedom, but many still toil under indenture.

Stiflingly tyrannical where the rich and powerful dwell, hideously crime-ridden where want and poverty nest, and all around — sometimes within the walls themselves — the ever-hungry Dead. Redoubt is a city, a culture, possibly even an entire world, in what certainly seems to be its final hours.

----------

CA Suleiman, Jaym Gates, and I created The Lost Citadel a few years ago, starting with a fiction anthology. We wanted to examine the notion of high fantasy laid low--a Tolkien-esque or standard D&D-esque world subject to a disaster on every level, reduced to more of a gritty, Thieves' World- or Howard-esque aesthetic. We're thrilled to be working with the folks at Green Ronin, and a team of other great writers--including Keith Baker, Jesse Heinig, and Malcolm Sheppard--to develop not only the RPG side of Lost Citadel, but to bring the fiction to a wider audience.

(You may have seen this mentioned in other threads, but I realized there wasn't one specifically calling it out by name. And as one of the property's creators, but not an official rep of anyone, I figured it made most sense for me to do it.)

I hope you guys'll give it a look. And while I'm very limited in what I can say or what questions I can answer, I'm happy to address what I can. :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/504269797/the-lost-citadel-post-apocalyptic-fantasy-roleplay

Last edited:

Congrats on the project funding. Still 20 days to go - looks like a big success!

Thank you! But there are a lot of really cool stretch goals still ahead; I really want this to continue to expand. :)

I know a lot of people have been asking for something different in a setting and/or adventures lately. I'm hoping this'll scratch that itch for many of them.

Reminds me of the Midnight campaign setting.

If you're familiar with it, how would you say it differentiates from it?

They're honestly more different than similar, to my mind. There's no single Sauron-like villain who won, in LC. It's a single city-setting, for the most part, where not just civilization but magic and (to a lesser extent) nature itself have changed for the worse. The evil outside the walls is largely mindless and overwhelming, while inside is corruption and human greed.

Midnight is "What would happen to all of Middle Earth if Sauron had won?" LC is more "What would happen if a zombie apocalypse ravaged all of Middle Earth or the Forgotten Realms and the survivors were trapped in Thieves' World?" :)

So, Green Ronin has just announced their upcoming Modern AGE game. At the end of the article, they've also posted a link to "Requiem, in Bells," my short story from The Tales of The Lost Citadel fiction anthology. It's the first in the anthology (which is also available through the RPG Kickstarter, and will be available for sale on its own afterward), and was deliberately written to help introduce readers to many of the basic conceits and details of the setting. If you're looking for a closer look at what the property is about, what the city of Redoubt is like, and a solid adventure-style story you can tell in the setting, it's not a bad place to start. :)

https://greenronin.com/blog/2017/06/12/ronin-roundtable-enter-the-modern-age/

We're this close to getting a few pieces of original soundtrack music to go with the campaign. After that we'll be reaching for the double-sided poster map stretch goal, which--if you've already seen the map/art on the KS page, you know everyone needs to have. :)

I'm not at all interested in the music, never been a thing for my gaming, but maps? Oh yeah more the merrier, maps are always useful as well as aesthetically pleasing :) I see an AGE conversion too, which would be cool. More options the better.

So I'm off to read the fiction before I pledge, it's always a hard decision with 30 buck postage!

Remove ads