Kazakhstan Has First Ever Tabletop RPG Convention

Last week I posted about how we "need" more gaming conventions, today I woke up to talk on social media about the first ever tabletop role-playing convention in Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is a former republic of the Soviet Union that declared their independence in 1991. This wasn't a very large convention, but I think that we should consider it to be a big deal.

Last week I posted about how we "need" more gaming conventions, today I woke up to talk on social media about the first ever tabletop role-playing convention in Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is a former republic of the Soviet Union that declared their independence in 1991. This wasn't a very large convention, but I think that we should consider it to be a big deal.

Eight people showed up to game at this convention, and two games were run at it. There was a Dragon Age RPG session that was run in English and a game of Numenera that was run in Russian. On Twitter, James Harland said "In 50 years we'll be as big as Gen Con!" These photos were reprinted from his Twitter post with permission.

The world is a much smaller place when bound together by commonalities.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I know what you mean, and it is very small beginnings, but it was a convention in the sense that we brought together different communities for the first time: Russian and English-speaking gamers, hardcore rpg players and occasional players / boardgamers, students and working people. Now we're hoping to continue to build on those connections throughout the year, and have a bigger event in 2018.

This is how it's done people! You don't get 10K showing up at your first convention (nor would you want to!) - you start small and you build.

Congrats on your first con! It looks like it was fun.

A

amerigoV

Awesome!

Eight people showed up to game at this convention, and two games were run at it. There was a Dragon Age RPG session that was run in English and a game of Numenera that was run in Russian.

Might have to go there. I have been wanting to try Dragon Age at a con for years <looks disapprovingly at Origins>.

How very cool. Wherever you go in the world, games and gaming increasingly provides a universal connection.

Tangentially, I'm reminded of the last time I was in the Caribbean. A guy saw my tattoo of the holy symbol of Moradin and started telling me about his 8th level ranger. Some things don’t change no matter where you are.

Unlike most americans I do know it's in Asia, but I was replying directly to Caliburn101. :)

You might want to directly reply to those you directly reply to, so as to avoid confusion.

I had thought that Kazakhstan was in Eastern Europe, before looking it up for this article. Of course, the maps of that part of the world have changed a few times since I was in high school. :)

Dorian_Grey

First Post
Really awesome! My few interactions with Kazakhstanis have always been positive. I've been wanting to visit for years due to the space launches and now I have another great reason to go!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads