Kazakhstan Has First Ever Tabletop RPG Convention

Last week I posted about how we "need" more gaming conventions, today I woke up to talk on social media about the first ever tabletop role-playing convention in Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is a former republic of the Soviet Union that declared their independence in 1991. This wasn't a very large convention, but I think that we should consider it to be a big deal.

Eight people showed up to game at this convention, and two games were run at it. There was a Dragon Age RPG session that was run in English and a game of Numenera that was run in Russian. On Twitter, James Harland said "In 50 years we'll be as big as Gen Con!" These photos were reprinted from his Twitter post with permission.

The world is a much smaller place when bound together by commonalities.

jrowland

First Post
We (by that I mean [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]) should start a fund to support next years Kazakhstancon :p

Seriously though, I'd chip in.

I believe that you meant to say "Hey, that's cool that people in a place not known for tabletop RPGs gathered together to play some games, and start up a new tradition."

Yeah, you're right. I was probably being a bit harsh.

Sure, more of a meetup than a convention, but let's not forget, Gen Con 0 had only 12 people. And that was at Gary's house. At least these folks arranged a proper meeting space.

Next year, GenCon had 96 attendees and it grew from there. That's often how these things go. I group of aficionados and hard-core fans decide to meet up in real-life and then they spread the word among their friends and fan networks leading to a period of fast growth.

Think of this as a meeting of the planning committee and let's hope that next year they'll have 100 people.

This is a fair point too. You have to start somewhere.

I wouldn't define a "con" based on the number of people who attend, but more about the formality and intent. If you post flyer about town, have a place and a schedule, then it's probably a con.

Congrats to you guys. Keep at it and hopefully your next one will be even bigger! (And consider doing the next one in 4-6 months months while you can keep interest high.)

harlandski

Explorer
It seems like a good chance to go visit Kazakhstan! If there is one thing I learned from playing D&D, always find a local guide. I am willing to bet they would be willing to show you around a bit if you travelled to their convention.

Yes, if any gamers do make it to Kz, you'd be very welcome to join us at our regular weekly game and of course at our next con. And if you make it all the way out here, we'll definitely show you around! :)

harlandski

Explorer
So how do we help grow KazakhCon?
Awesome question. Well, we are new to this convention thing, so any advice on how to build up a local gaming community in general, and how to organise the best cons in particular would be very welcome! We're going to set ourselves up on social media and Patreon soon for moral and financial support :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases