D&D 5E Quick (Sort of) Sorcerer Metamagic Variant

Xeviat

Hero
Hey everyone. After reading CapnZapp's Metaphysics Adept Feat (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?557365-Metaphysics-Adept-Feat), and giving my answer, a thought came to me. I'll start by saying that I don't like metamagic as a sorcerer class ability solely because I feel it's taking up valuable space in their class abilities sections that could be given to other abilities when each occurrence of the ability is just another option using the same resource that they all use. To me, they're akin to gaining more spells known, which generally doesn't eat up class ability "slots" (except for the Bard, who gets to cherry pick from other classes, so that's worth an ability).

I still want the sorcerer to have metamagic. But I want them to have a little more. I also think metamagic maybe could become something other classes could gain (limited) access to. Hear me out.

My idea has Sorcerer's keeping their sorcery points. They're also the only class that learns metamagic abilities on their own. Other classes can purchase metamagic but it costs them a feat. Metamagic then goes back to 3E's method where it requires you to cast a spell in a higher level slot. Last, Sorcerers gain a new ability where they can use their sorcery points to "upcast" spells, up to a certain point, using sorcery points to virtually increase a spell's slot level.

Such a sorcerer could then use their sorcery points to make a more damaging fireball (higher level slot), or twin a spell (higher level slot), or any number of other things. I thought of this when I realized that some spells already have "twin spell" built into them, getting additional targets for casting them at higher levels. Why not merge the concept of upcasting spells with metamagic, and add some additional versatility to the sorcerer?

The sorcerer could then use their sorcery points to go hogwild and upcast their spells, or they could use them to regain spell slots and spread out their power.

It's a half-baked idea, but what do you think?

Remove ads