Help with a fantasy world concept of creation and destruction needed.

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
I am trying to design a campaign with the premise that it is a fantasy type world that an all-powerful Creator keeps making and then destroying and then remaking again. This eternal cycle of creation and then destruction keeps happening. What kind of Races, Classes, Characters, spells, would be appropriate for this type of world?Any sort of advice would be welcomed.

Derren

Hero
I am trying to design a campaign with the premise that it is a fantasy type world that an all-powerful Creator keeps making and then destroying and then remaking again. This eternal cycle of creation and then destruction keeps happening. What kind of Races, Classes, Characters, spells, would be appropriate for this type of world?Any sort of advice would be welcomed.

About which time intervalls are you talking about? Several dozen? Hundred?) millenias with the cycle only hinted at in muddy legends and prophecy or is it a common occurance that overnight a mountain range gets leveled or new island raiye out of the sea complete with vegetation and wildlife?

Mallus

Legend
Here's the first thing that popped into my head: combine Buddhism and Darwinism in a haphazard fashion.

The eternal cycle of death and rebirth is evolution occurring at the metaphysical and/or cosmic scale. Creatures not just adapting to their respective ecological niches, but becoming their perfect or Platonic forms (you could mix this in w/the concept of Alignment). And once the perfect World is achieved, it's time for Armageddon, as each ideal thing fights its opposite to the death.

Now the trick is to figure out some specifics to go along with the conceptual framework. I need more coffee for that. But start with these: everything in the world has an Alignment. Except the Zen-types who sought a way out of the great cycle of rebirth & evolution.

Last edited:

texastoast

Explorer
Is the whole world being destroyed to the point that it no longer exists before being recreated, or is it more like continual "world ending" cataclysms? I like the idea of the latter (though of course it's your world not mine so that doesn't matter), and it puts me in mind of Isaac Asimov's novel (and presumably short story) Nightfall. In that story, on a regular cycle (because reasons; science fiction) society collapses, only to be rebuilt on the ruins of the old, again and again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using EN World mobile app

S

Sunseeker

Some questions:

How often is the world being destroyed and remade?
-As a followup, is there a timetable?
-Do people know it's coming?
-Conversely, are people unaware of the cycle? With only a few cultists or "secret knowledge" types believing in it?

Are little elements of the world changing over time? Or is the entire world being remade suddenly?
-Followup: Do people notice the changes?
-Are the people themselves remade?

Are all the gods doing this? Or just one or a few?
-If there are multiple gods, what part do they play, if not active in the destruction/recreation?

Is it possible to avoid/stop/influence the destruction/creation cycle from the inhabitant level? (even if they have to be really powerful)
-Have people done this?
-Has anyone survived the cycle?

Is it being destroyed/created because the god(s) are unsatisfied with it? Or as an indirect result (like a god war). Or as a political result (the god council agreed the world isn't working and we need to pass new legislation restricting the height of elves and increasing the abundance of water)?

Remove ads