Twin Peaks

kcannell

Explorer
I just realized tonight while running the opening scene for Adventure 7 - Captain Dale is totally Special Agent Dale Cooper from Twin Peaks, isn't he?

It all adds up now:
- The "red curtain" scene in adventure two on Cauldron Hill
- The Bleak Gate being coterminous there in much the same way that the Black Lodge bleeds over in the Twin Peaks woods
- Cauldron Hill is a source of all this "witch oil" manufacturing - kind of like the burnt engine oil that is at crime scenes that Bob is involved with

But the thing that really tied it all together was Stover Delft and Captain Dale standing around Governor Stanfield's conference room eating donuts and drinking coffee. When Dale was describing the first of Stanfield's four "distraction" problems, I had him use donuts as reference points on the conference room table. A jelly donut on the left to represent the Bleak Gate, an apple fritter on the right to represent the "real" world, and a cinnamon twist in the middle to represent the coterminous mingling. Dale brought the jelly donut and apple fritter together in a clash above the cinnamon twist to represent the colliding of these two worlds, and pointed to the resulting crumbs falling to either side as the "nightly appearances of undead and other monsters" that his people had been dealing with.

I don't know if any of my players understood the reference, but I had fun with it!

kcannell

Explorer
"Alternatively, researching his infamous thesis, Meditation, Coffee and Cherry Pie: Unorthodox Salves Against the Supernatural, can learn this technique."

So awesome!

Karma Kollapse

First Post
We're currently playing through the second adventure, and everytime the references to Twin Peaks get a bit too overt (like Dale, his thesis, the red curtain scene... Nevard's vision of a woman in a room who talks weirdly...) I sigh to myself before I reveal. :D

Of course, watching the new series, I'm now seeing (presumably unintentional) references to Zeitgeist ...

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
We're currently playing through the second adventure, and everytime the references to Twin Peaks get a bit too overt (like Dale, his thesis, the red curtain scene... Nevard's vision of a woman in a room who talks weirdly...) I sigh to myself before I reveal. :D

Of course, watching the new series, I'm now seeing (presumably unintentional) references to Zeitgeist ...

Where is the red curtain scene? I missed all these nods, to my shame, but I at least recognise all the others.

Karma Kollapse

First Post
Also part of the vision that Nevard gets includes a scene about a woman in a room with red curtains and she speaks in a weird language (which is even more overtly Twin Peaks).

Remove ads