Pogre's New Story Hour with Mini pics - (12/7 The Final Update)

pogre

Legend
Welcome to Pogre's new Story Hour. A few items before we dive in:

*Instead of giving a line link - all of the thumbnails in this story hour are true thumbnails - click on them to go to a larger picture.

*Internet Explorer users note that the newer versions of that browser fit pictures into the screen. To see the larger size move your mouse over the lower right corner of the picture and click the four-directions button. If no button appears - you are seeing the picture full size.

*The first few adventures in this campaign are published adventures. Naturally these contain spoilers - so I will give a warning ahead of time.

*The first adventure is "Bogged Down" by Terry Edwards found in issue 91 of Dungeon magazine.

*I have changed a thing or two about my campaign world. I will try to post a campaign map in the near future. Most things in the Olde Realm have not changed.

*My old story hour can be found here
Pogre's Story Hour

*please - no TPK wagering.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Coming Together

Episode 01
Coming Together

“You’re an idiot,” Inga screamed at the hulking figure before her.

The humanoid’s club fell to its side and he turned towards the barbarian woman. She was tall and well proportioned. Her muscular arms revealed her warrior upbringing. She did not flinch as the hulking half-breed came towards her.

“Do you understand that was supposed to be dinner?” Inga strode over to the remnants of a small prairie pig. The pig was nearly unrecognizable; its body was smashed as though a Giant had stepped on it. “I guess I can make a stew or soup from it. You might save your battle rage for a slightly more important foe Skully.”

“I am Skullringer!” the half-orc yelled. “I crush my opponents with the fury of a god!”

“Well, you crushed your dinner, that’s for sure,” Inga could not help but smile. “Grab some firewood. I’ll try to dress out this mess.”

“Save heart,” Skullringer demanded.

“Yeah, yeah, if I can find it, I’ll save the heart,” she replied. As the huge half-orc left her immediate presence Inga chuckled at the whole affair. In her home tribe she had been accused of being too brutal! Imagine what they would think of her new traveling companion. One thing she liked about Skully, it would either be glory or death, and nothing in between. The gods had called her to weave a new Saga and meeting Skullringer was the first step.

The half-orc was lumbering back to camp with an amazing amount of wood. He dropped the half-cord and set down on his haunches. “You find heart?” he asked expectantly.

“It’s over there,” she replied pointing to a small piece of gut set aside on a leaf. The half-orc almost skipped over to the organ and inhaled it quickly.

“We should go North. Norwhals, Mastadons – worthy kills,” Skullringer stated.

Not this again. Inga thought to herself. “Who would be there to give you the glory you are due in that frozen wasteland? All should know of our might. Men should tremble at our sight. Ours will be a great Saga told over generations of campfires,” Inga waxed. Skullringer had closed his eyes. She knew he had just wanted to hear about their coming fame.

“When do we meet this southern holy woman you know?” Skullringer asked impatiently.

“Soon, Skully, soon.”

A few minutes later she cooked the pork with some greens in a camp pot using the blood as a thickener. The two set down and ate the meal quickly. Inga was more than a little revolted by the half-orc’s primitive features, but when he ate it took him to a new level of ugliness. I wonder why he has not tried to mate with me? she thought. She shivered at the thought and settled down in her roll. His disinterest is a gift from the gods. She smiled to herself as she drifted to sleep.

Skullringer took watch and sat on his haunches gazing over at Inga. She strong good fighter. She tell good stories. She smart. But, she ugly as Mastadon.

…..

“I’ll see you in the Abyss Father!” Gerhardt’s last words to his father still rung in his ears. He smiled remembering the mad cursing his father had sent after him as he moved down the road. He was off to find some holy people and then out to make a fortune. He would succeed where his brother Johann had failed. His father had cursed his elder brother for taking to the adventuring life. ‘Good for nothing’ his dad had called Johann. Still, when Johann came home once and told Gerhardt all of the tales of his adventures he decided right there he would follow his footsteps.

His brother had given him a couple of tips before leaving. “Always strike at their back when you can. The brave man is a fool who does not know how to fight.” He also told Gerhardt, “Always travel with holy men. They can patch you up when the dust has settled.”

Gerhardt had worked very hard at the skills of fighting, including slipping past his opponents. Now, he was on a quest – to find holy men.

…..

“Holy Marrkidia, Goddess of War, how may I bring glory to you?” Xerk asked on a knee. He had been asking for three days straight. His soul was unsure of what course he should take. The holy fathers wanted him to join the guard of Derlon and fight for the state. But, it just did not feel right to the young priest. Three days of fasting and prayer were supposed to bring the answer. Three was HER divine number. He hoped for an answer this night.

“Blood and Honor.”

The voice in his ears startled young Xerk. It was a strong feminine voice. He was quivering – there could be no question it was HER. Did he dare another entreaty? Did he dare ask about the guard?

“Your answer will come from one like me,” the voice came again to his ear.

“Like you?” Xerk involuntarily asked. The presence was gone. He had been blessed with divine guidance, but yet he was still unsure. Further prayers would be of no help. He knew he must puzzle this out for himself.

Who is like Marrkidia? Xerk thought. A mighty female warrior capable of cutting men to pieces. One who led men into battle with her iron will. He could think of no one.

…..

“Gjord will you hand me that root?” Hilde asked the ranger. Gjord handed the cleric the required plant and she set it in her pestle and began mincing it. Gjord was a tall man with an easy manner. His easy movement translated into mastery of the two weapon fighting style.

“Does it have medicinal properties?” Gjord asked.

“No, it is a flavoring for our food nothing more.”

Hilde had met Gjord on her way home from her communing trip. A year ago she had gone to the northern wilderness to seek guidance from Opheria. The Goddess of the Hearth had led her to him. He had abandoned his trapping line without a word and seemed content in their preparations.

“When do we leave?” Gjord asked her.

“That is not up to us,” Hilde answered cryptically. She was always vague like this, but Gjord never objected.

“Where will we go on this journey?” Gjord asked.

“I am following someone, just like you Gjord,” she answered with a smile. “Our patience will be rewarded soon I am certain. It is our task to be ready.” Hilde was a cleric to Opheria who dressed in the ways of the other sisters. She chose not to hide in the covenant or even to become a mid-wife as many following the Goddess did. Instead, she sought a new role, a pro-active role in furthering the will of her Goddess. Opheria continued to bless her and she felt confident in this path.

She heard Gjord unsheathe his weapons. Hilde looked up and saw a mighty warrior woman approaching, accompanied by a huge orc. “Hold Gjord,” she told the ranger. “These are the ones I have been waiting for – welcome Inga and er… friend.”

Inga rushed up to the priestess and embraced her roughly lifting her off the ground. “We are ready to start the Saga!”

“Excellent, my dear,” Hilde said in a choked voice. “Now, please set me down before I have to heal my own ribs!”

…..

“You have been accused of stealing and offering stolen wares – how do you plead Nanjuk?” the magistrate’s words stung the young dwarf.

“Innocent my Lord,” Nanjuk answered. How ridiculous! the young dwarf thought. I just stole a purse that had less than 20 crowns! Where is that stupid attorney anyway!

“I read here you are to be represented by Micolai Helfring of Helfring and Associates,” the judge stated.

“Yes, my Lord,” Nanjuk replied.

“Are you aware of Master Helfring’s condition?” the magistrate asked.

Nanjuk thought he could see a smile crossing the judge’s thin, human lips.

“I have been out of the loop I must admit my Lord,” Nanjuk replied holding up his manacles. A slight titter issued forth from others in the courtroom.

“Indeed,” the judge said slowly. “Master Helfring is not well at all.”

“Oh he’s under the weather then?” Nanjuk asked. Well at least that explains where the rat is he thought to himself.

“Underground actually,” the magistrate replied. “He was found dead yesterday evening. Apparently, someone misplaced a dagger in his neck.”

Nanjuk was ill prepared to deal with this news. It was a double blow. His attorney was dead and the killing had all the hallmarks of a Network killing. His head was swimming. “That really should not affect the case at all my Lord,” he said.

“How so?” the amused judge asked.

“I’m sure Master Helfring can offer the same defense as usual even in his current condition,” Nanjuk stated flatly. The court laughed loudly at the remark.

“Take him away,” the judge ordered with a chuckle.

Nanjuk jumped down from the block and meekly went to the guards.

The next morning the guards came to the main cell and called for Nanjuk. “I already had my pleadings.”

“You’re out. Agreed restitution and vouching.”

“Who?” the shocked dwarf asked.

“Dunno. Come along dwarf.”

Nanjuk’s mind raced. Who would vouch and pay for him? Damn. The Network. Had to be. Did they think he was stupid enough to turn? Nanjuk absent mindedly signed his release papers, collected his belongings and left the tower.

I got to get out of here for a while. Let things cool down. Maybe I can find that loudmouthed kid who was looking for people to travel with – what was his name? Oh yes, Gerhardt.

to be continued…

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Got a cup o' Joe this morning and plopped down to avoid work and start readin' your stuff again, pogie. I must say the chainmail painting on Xerk is top notch, and I love Nanjuk's features.

One of these days I'd like to commission you (read: pester you) to paint a figure or two for me.

I'm ready for more!

D

pogre

Legend
Thanks everyone! I'm working on another update. The miniatures were painted in the following chronological order:

Gjord was painted by a friend for a WFRP campaign.

Xerk circa 1989.

Nanjuk circa 1993.

Skullringer circa 1993.

Inga circa 1995. Highly modified figure for an old WFRP character.

Hilde 8 months ago.

Gerhardt last month.

Hopefully I have made some progress over the years...

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
BOO! HISSS!

I demand, DEMAND an upgrade to the barbarian woman as soon as possible. Who plays a female barbarian without a Rackham miniature?

I'm also betting heavy on the half-orc.... dire stalker?

pogre

Legend
Episode 02
Bogged Down

So it was that several factors came together and an adventuring group was formed. Inga and Skullringer found Hilde who had Gjord with her. Xerk spotted Inga and decided she was the sign from his deity and joined the group. Nanjuk found Gerhardt and together they found the group with the two clerics.

The adventurers began heading North to Norgate along the great Trading Road. A small detour to one of Hilde’s favorite Inns at Beardon’s Hollow turned out to be costly to the group’s travel time. A typical coastal storm blew in and poured down a deluge for the better part of two days.

Enmar the Innkeeper shuffled into the group’s room and brought them their clothes, dried and pressed. “I’m afraid I have bad news, the storm has flooded the road. No traveling today. A few folks from town are being sent over to the old Isendale home. I hear there is plenty of damage there. There are also rumors of attacks from the bog, but that seems unlikely. A few extra volunteers over there would probably be appreciated and help speed travelers along.”

“Oh, of course Enmar,” Hilde remarked. “We would be delighted to help in anyway possible.”

“Hey,” Gerhardt protested. “What do you think you’re doing Sister! You don’t just go around offering my services.”

“Don’t mind the youth,” Hilde pointedly stated, “We will head there quickly.”

Gerhardt started to protest again, but a sharp elbow from Nanjuk stopped him. “This could be to our advantage,” the dwarf whispered. “It will give us a chance to case the place for valuables.”

…..

The adventurers headed north and passed a cranberry field. Towards the far end of the field was a man of the cloth on a small hill above the flooded fields. He was wrapping several bodies in burial linens. The chubby priest stood up to wipe the sweat from his brow. He gave a friendly wave to the group approaching.

“A cleric of the Messenger*,” Nanjuk noted aloud. “Let’s hope this guy is not from the Inquisitor Order.”

“He’s not,” Xerk replied.

Nanjuk kicked himself for the comment. The followers of Marrkidia and the Inquisitors were on friendly terms. He did not know what Xerk’s attitude was about those overblown do-gooders, but he should have known before making that comment.

“What are the Inquisitors?” Gerhardt asked.

“They keep order in the Realm and stamp out deviant cults,” Nanjuk quickly offered.

“They are over-exuberant zealots and Nanjuk was rightly concerned,” Xerk added.

Nanjuk smiled and relaxed – just a little bit.

No one had noticed that Skully had broken into a jog and was running towards the priest.

“Skully,” Inga called, but the big half-orc continued on. The priest looked frightened and began to take up a defensive posture. Inga broke into a quick stride, attempting to catch up and called twice more.

“You kill these?” Skullringer asked the priest.

“Oh no,” the Priest almost laughed. “They all washed up from the bog during the storm.”

“Who kill dem?” Skullringer asked again.

“Well, I do not know my friend,” the Priest began cautiously. “I suspect a good number of them died of disease and others drown. Most of them have been dead for decades.”

The rest of the group arrived and heard the Priest’s last words. “Greetings holy father forgive Skully here. He is learning the ways of our culture,” Hilde stated.

“Sister, he gave no offense. He was just asking fair questions. All of these bodies washed up during the storm. The bodies drift up from the old city, deeper in the swamp,” he stated. “My name is Father Denethan by the way.”

The group was introduced by Hilde.

“Father, what is the old city,” Xerk asked.

“Years ago our fair little village was located farther to the North. Weather and attacks from a great Black Dragon conspired to sink the place into a bog. The remaining villagers moved to this current location. Whenever there is a storm many corpses float up from the old city and our found in these farms.”

“Whose farm is this?” Inga asked.

“Jaiman Burnean,” Father Denethan answered. “Which reminds me, Sister Hilde would you mind looking at Jaiman? He has an infection on his arm that I am uncertain of – perhaps you can diagnose it?”

“Certainly Father,” Hilde answered. “Can I help consecrate the graves for these poor souls as well?”

“Alas Sister, that is not possible. I only have a few of the records from the old city. I am not certain of who they all are despite their burial markings. If I had the proper records we could lay them to proper rest. But, let’s not dwell on what we cannot do for the dead, and let’s see if you can do something for the living.” Father Denethan motioned for Hilde to follow him.

The whole conversation had fascinated the barbarian, Inga and she followed the pair into the farm house.

A young man started to get up as the trio approached his bed.

“Lay down Jaiman,” Father Denethan ordered. “Show this Sister your arm.”

Hilde closely examined the injured forearm. It appeared to be a large black bruise turning green and moist in the center. “How did you get this wound?” she asked.

“I was trying to save my crops from the storm that had blown up. Bodies began to wash up from the bog as they often do. There was more this time than ever before, so I started to drag them to higher ground. As I was pulling the bodies to higher ground something splashed up next to me and made a horrible moaning noise. It hit me in the arm here and I ran. I bolted all of the windows and the doors until daybreak.”

Hilde smiled at the young farmer. “Father Denethan is right to have you resting. You must fight this infection with all of your might and pray. I will look in on you tomorrow or the next day.”

Hilde and Father Denethan turned to leave and worked their way past Inga. “Father, you have sent for a higher order priest I assume?” she asked.

“Actually, I just sent a boy to Derlon to fetch my Bishop,” Denethan answered. “What do you think it is?”

“It is tomb rot, a supernatural malady for which you and I have no cure. It requires a higher prayer for a cure.”

“I feared it was a supernatural disease of some sort. How long does he have?” Father Denthan asked.

“Not long. The disease moves rapidly. Let’s hope your Bishop moves quickly on the request,” she answered.

“Amen Sister, Amen.”

…..

“Hey,” Gjord called out, “Sister Hilde come check this out.”

She worked her way over to the ranger’s position at the edge of the cranberry field. She looked at the ground around the ranger. “What is it Gjord?”

“A trail Sister, and it is heading due north,” Gjord answered.

The group followed Gjord’s lead and went straight to the Isendale Home. Men were working on a damaged front door. Following brief introductions the adventurers were brought into the house and met with Eural Dunaman, Head Councilman of Beardon’s Hollow and Haiman Gaith the Chief Constable. Sister Hilde introduced the group and they sat down to discuss the events of the previous evening.

“Interesting company you keep Sister. I did not know the Earth Mother’s Daughter condoned associating with half-breeds,” Constable Gaith commented.

Skullringer stirred.

“The faith welcomes all,” Hilde replied. “Perhaps you could tell us what happened last night councilman Dunaman?”

“There is not much to tell. In the early morning hours there was a loud pounding at the door. Suspecting the worst I ran up to the bell in the tower and rang the alarm. The pounding stopped soon after this.”

“What do you think it was?” Gjord asked.

“Lizardmen, or perhaps the Swamp Witch,” Dunaman answered. “I am taking no chances I shall spend the evening at the chapel tonight.”

A servant came into the room with a number of bags. “I’ll tell you it reminded me of the night the Isendales were taken.”

“Yes, of course, Loriann thank you,” Dunaman stated dismissively.

“Please tell us,” Inga asked.

“Well, Sethellen and his wife were the last of the Isendales and I served as their housekeeper and hoped to serve as their nanny as well. About ten years ago Lord Sethendale awakened me in the dead of the night. I knew something was wrong because he was putting on the black dragon armor his grandfather passed down. He told me to ring the alarm bell. I ran as fast as I could and rang that bell for all I was worth.”

“But they were gone,” Inga offered.

“Yes,” Loriann responded. “The councilman figured Lizardfolk, but I don’t know I have never seen one in the fifty years I have lived here.”

“We must get to the chapel before four so I can prepare supper Lord Dunaman,” Loriann stated.

“Yes, of course Loriann,” Dunaman replied. “Won’t you excuse us?” Dunaman motioned for the adventurers to leave the house.

Outside the house the workman had nearly finished fixing the door. Gjord looked the area over. “The trail continues north from here,” Gjord told the rest.

“Something is not working for me in this whole thing,” Hilde thought aloud.

“I kill Gaith,” Skullringer whispered to Inga.

“He will wait,” Inga replied.

…...

The trail led into and around the swamp. Gerhardt questioned if Gjord knew what he was doing, but the ranger ignored him. Light was beginning to fall away and as dusk approached the prospect of camping in the swamp did not appeal to anyone. Gjord suddenly stopped. “This trail seems different,” he announced to the group.

“You lost the main trail?” Gerhardt asked.

“I’m not sure, but it is possible this is something else. The signs are not matching. It’s pretty tough to tell in this muck,” Gjord answered.

“What’s that?” Nanjuk asked pointing ahead.

The swamp gave way to a firm hill. A large rock covered with vines was on one side of the clearing and a well-spaced set of rocks in a semi-circle surrounded the rock. Smoke floated up from an opening at the base of the rock.

“Swamp Witch?” Xerk asked.

“Possibly,” Gjord answered. “Look at that clearing. It’s been swept clean. Very odd, we need to be extra cautious.”

“Caution for cowards,” Skullringer roared. He sprinted into the clearing towards the opening in the rock.

A vine whipped into the clearing from the rock and wrapped around the half-orc’s neck. Skullringer smashed his club down on the plant, but could not sever it. He fell to one knee as it began to choke the life out of him.

to be continued…

*Messenger is the patron deity of the Olde Realm.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Wulf Ratbane said:
BOO! HISSS!

I demand, DEMAND an upgrade to the barbarian woman as soon as possible. Who plays a female barbarian without a Rackham miniature?

I like the Rackham stuff a lot actually, but I don't own a speck of it. I believe it is actually 35 mm. I'll give it a look at GenCon though... I kind of expect the Reaper stand to send me straight into Chapter 7.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases