Herobizkit

Adventurer
Jock Guy: Fighter
Rebel Guy: Bard
Smart Guy: Wizard
Heart Guy: Druid
Protector Guy: Paladin

... is how it went in our last game. ^_^

It's my ongoing assertion that a party with Paladin-Bard-Druid is a dream team.

Kabouter Games

Explorer
When I write adventures, I design encounters around the traditional "core four" roles - warrior, wizard, rogue, priest. I've found I can waste a lot of time chasing after other classes, and that 99% of encounters devolve to one of the core four roles anyway. (I'm doing a top-down rewrite on my latest for just that reason; I went off the rails chasing down something for Warlocks.)

I've also found it's largely a matter of semantics. You don't have to be a rogue to be proficient with thieves tools, for example, as was pointed out above. You don't have to be a cleric to be an effective healer. You don't have to be a wizard to be proficient with the Arcana skill.

You can just as easily assign the stats to the different roles and design encounters around the stat and the skills associated with that stat. Rather than warrior, wizard, rogue, and priest, you get STR/CON, INT, DEX/CHA, WIS. It doesn't really matter what the character solving the problem calls herself, provided she has the skills to solve the problem.

I think that's what OP was going for. D&D has developed CHA to the extent there's a fully-separate role for it. I lump it into "rogue," because my archetypal rogue, like the Grey Mouser, is charming as well as dexterous, as able to wriggle out of a situation with his glib manner as his rubbery spine. But if people want to split it out into "bard," fine by me! :)

Cheers,

Bob

www.r-p-davis.com

Yaarel

He Mage

... is how it went in our last game. ^_^

It's my ongoing assertion that a party with Paladin-Bard-Druid is a dream team.

I can totally see that, making the Paladin-Bard-Druid, the ‘Three Amigos’.

Curiously, this might correlate with comedy shenanigans?

Yaarel

He Mage
Heh ...

The Rebel Bard is the trouble maker.
The Heart Druid naively goes along with the Rebel Bard schemes.
The Protector Paladin is the only sane guy, but is powerless to stop the escapades of the other two.

procproc

First Post
Really, a shift was happening in the "iconic quartet" years ago, courtesy of games like Everquest and WoW. Heck, I believe [MENTION=284]Caliban[/MENTION]'s term "DPS" has its origins there. Ever since WoW, it's been "DPS, Tank, Healer" and due to D&D add to that "magicker" and "skill monkey".

While that's true, at least in early WoW, there was some emphasis on having characters with crowd control (or "CC" -- abilities to temporarily disable some enemies) to make some encounters more manageable. It wasn't a full-blown role on its own, but it was a valuable asset to bring to a party.

I generally consider the four roles in D&D to be tank, DPS, healer, and utility, with utility encompassing a fair breadth of social and exploration competence. Similar to CC, I think a lot of D&D players would end up disappointed with a character that only provided a utility role and no combat functionality, but it's a strong bonus to bring to the table.

Yaarel

He Mage
The Survivor thread ended with these 5 finalists, perhaps tweaking their team roles.

Rebel Guy: Rogue
Heart Guy: Paladin (as idealist, healer, and inspirer)
Protector Guy: Warlock (as tough-to-kill damage dealer?)

I feel the sixsome in the original post works more fluently. The 5e Bard is a great class. At the same time, this fivesome here has merit too.

Hussar

Legend
It's funny to see how the general matches up (or rather doesn't) to my own group.

We've played five sets of characters in 5e (2 full campaigns, 1 fail and 2 current campaigns) and out of those 30 some characters, we have no warlocks. And no single classed fighters. And, I think 1 rogue (currently). Sorcerers have been the most common arcane caster. We've had one short lived bard. LOTS of rangers. Three or four paladins. Couple of clerics. One wizard that I can think of. Maybe 2?

Takes all kinds I suppose.

Xeviat

Hero
While that's true, at least in early WoW, there was some emphasis on having characters with crowd control (or "CC" -- abilities to temporarily disable some enemies) to make some encounters more manageable. It wasn't a full-blown role on its own, but it was a valuable asset to bring to a party.

I generally consider the four roles in D&D to be tank, DPS, healer, and utility, with utility encompassing a fair breadth of social and exploration competence. Similar to CC, I think a lot of D&D players would end up disappointed with a character that only provided a utility role and no combat functionality, but it's a strong bonus to bring to the table.

I think there's also always been a subdivide in DPS between melee Deeps and ranged Deeps.

I think 4E dropped the ball in their class/role design by marrying Role to Class rather than tying Role to Build/Archetype. If "controller" had more been "Ranged Striker", then a Fighter could have been all 4 roles.

As for the 4 or 5 man band trope within D&D, one of my friends requires each character in a party to have a different "primary stat". It forces some differentiation between the characters and ensures that everyone has their place to contribute. It works well with a classic Fighter (Str), Rogue (Dex), Wizard (Int), Cleric (Wis), and Bard (Cha) set up.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Heh ...

The Rebel Bard is the trouble maker.
The Heart Druid naively goes along with the Rebel Bard schemes.
The Protector Paladin is the only sane guy, but is powerless to stop the escapades of the other two.

In other words:

Curly
Larry
Moe

At least in my games.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
My old brain is stuck in the past. It will always be

Fighter
Cleric
Magic User
Thief

Have a fifth wheel? Have him or her choose Dwarf, Elf, or Halfling.

Remove ads