What's Next For D&D? Live From Origins - D&D Beyond

D&D Beyond was covered at the What's Next For D&D? panel at Origins Game Fair. In a previous article, I covered Tomb of Annihilation, courtesy of Twitter user Kato Katonian who live-tweeted the panel. This article covers D&D Beyond, the upcoming digital tools suite for Dungeons & Dragons. Curse's Adam Bradford was on the panel to represent D&D Beyond.
D&D Beyond was covered at the What's Next For D&D? panel at Origins Game Fair. In a previous article, I covered Tomb of Annihilation, courtesy of Twitter user Kato Katonian who live-tweeted the panel. This article covers D&D Beyond, the upcoming digital tools suite for Dungeons & Dragons. Curse's Adam Bradford was on the panel to represent D&D Beyond.

pdFCRfJm.jpg

• Simply provide tools for managing game easier. Not making [D&D] into a video game.
  • Beta phase 2 of D&D Beyond is digital character builder. This month.
  • Create characters in minutes instead of hours, is the promise. Quick build, randomized generator, or straight up full creation.
  • Digital character sheet. Aiming to be useful on smartphone (as well as full PC) to use at table.
  • Beta Phase 3 of D&D Beyond: Homebrew & Campaign management. E.g. DM can make custom magic item and PC can have it on their sheet.
  • Home brew stuff can be made public for other users. Campaign mgmt will allow DM to see and edit player character sheets.
  • Two tiers of subscriptions: Hero Tier for players (unlimited character slots)...
  • Master Subscription: DMs can share any content they've bought through Beyond with their players. No price points yet.
  • Future Beyond features: stream integration, pronunciation guide, native mobile app, monster progression, encounter builder, init trackr.
  • Pronunciation guide done by Matt Mercer and Marisha Ray. Coming in next few months, possibly sooner.
  • Native mobile app a priority.
  • D&D Beyond is planning on having all 13 print products integrated at launch (no pricing yet).
  • After release, content will be available in D&D Beyond same day as hobby store release.
SaveSave

Dausuul

Legend
I think you misunderstand my comment. In no way was I defending the decision to move the 4e character builder to online only and put it behind a pay wall. That was atrocious. But the offline builder was a great tool. I have friends who haven't played DnD in years who downloaded it and made characters in it just for fun. It was a bit buggy, sure, but it was a triumph.

But when 5e began, they tried to erase virtually everything about 4e, and that meant the good was thrown out with the bad. They encouraged us to use pencil and paper for our character sheets, refused to put out an online one, and issued cease and desist orders for anyone who tried to make it easier to create an electronic version of the character sheet. That was equally atrocious, and WotC deserves to be called out on it.
The C&Ds were certainly a bad move.

That said, it's hardly fair to say they "refused" to put out a character builder for 5E. They tried! Dungeonscape (a.k.a. Codename: Morningstar) was supposed to be the big 5E e-toolset, scheduled to go live at the same time 5E itself was released. There was no "throwing out" involved. It's not like they could have reused the 4E character builder for 5E.

You can certainly ding WotC and Trapdoor for failing to deliver in the Dungeonscape debacle; but not for failing to make the attempt.

Hurin70

Adventurer
The C&Ds were certainly a bad move.

That said, it's hardly fair to say they "refused" to put out a character builder for 5E. They tried! Dungeonscape (a.k.a. Codename: Morningstar) was supposed to be the big 5E e-toolset, scheduled to go live at the same time 5E itself was released. There was no "throwing out" involved. It's not like they could have reused the 4E character builder for 5E.

You can certainly ding WotC and Trapdoor for failing to deliver in the Dungeonscape debacle; but not for failing to make the attempt.

Fair enough: they weren't malicious, just incompetent. It's the theme of WotC's forays into the electronic realm for the last decade or so.

jgsugden

Legend
I'm looking forward to seeing what is available. However, the main sticking point with me and most others will be cost. I'm willing to pay a small convenience fee, but I don't want to shell out $100 a year to get an online system that duplicates what I can do with a printout character sheet, my books and a pencil. I'll pay a few bucks for access to materials for an existing book I own and a few bucks a month in subscription fees - but if it takes too much of a chunk out of my RPG budget, I'd rather be buying minis, hardcovers, terrain, dice, maps, etc...

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
They encouraged us to use pencil and paper for our character sheets, refused to put out an online one, and issued cease and desist orders for anyone who tried to make it easier to create an electronic version of the character sheet. That was equally atrocious, and WotC deserves to be called out on it.
That's so unbelievably 1990s TSR. I don't think they realized at the time just how much ill-will that engendered among many people in the rapidly growing online community. TSR was known as "They Sue Regularly" for a reason.

Jay Verkuilen

I'm looking forward to seeing what is available. However, the main sticking point with me and most others will be cost. I'm willing to pay a small convenience fee, but I don't want to shell out $100 a year to get an online system that duplicates what I can do with a printout character sheet, my books and a pencil. I'll pay a few bucks for access to materials for an existing book I own and a few bucks a month in subscription fees - but if it takes too much of a chunk out of my RPG budget, I'd rather be buying minis, hardcovers, terrain, dice, maps, etc...
It looks like it'll be freemium, with the basic ruleset being free but pay for everything else. For me that would make the free component essentially worthless, though it might be useful for having the rules be easily searchable.

Jay Verkuilen

Fair enough: they weren't malicious, just incompetent. It's the theme of WotC's forays into the electronic realm for the last decade or so.
What I always find surprising is that they've been so incompetent. It's not like a lot of their target market--and thus potential partners or employees--lacks techies.

Remove ads

Remove ads