Modos 2 Fast Play Rules

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I have just uploaded Modos 2 Fast Play Rules to the downloads area.

Happy Free RPG Day! If you're already up to your neck in free adventure modules, new dice, and cool supplements from your FLGS, you'll be happy to see this freebie: a two-page primer on how to play Modos 2.

As a rules-light, modular, universal game system, Modos 2 will let you throw all of your new toys together without grinding any gears. When you've exhausted the sample perks and powers from this handout, check back in a few weeks for the full version of Modos 2 for full skill, perk, gear, and power lists, as well as additional rules for maximizing your combat and magic experience. Or write up your own rules modules and use them right away!

Happy gaming!

You can find the file here in the downloads section. Please use this thread for comments.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Struggling to put foes together for that first adventure? Try out the elf huntsman or the ghoul:

Elf, huntsman 2
A forest-dweller with an uncanny link to nature. Goal: protect his hunting grounds. Flaw: assumes everyone (non-elf) is a trespasser.
P 12, M 12, MP 8
Skills: armed +2 (1), nature +2 (1), detect +2 (1)
Perks: skill point (detect), weapon training (longbow)
Gear: longbow d12, knife d4
(The longbow is a Heavy weapon which requires two hands to use and requires one action for reloading.)

Ghoul 3
A foul, dead creature with an evil light in its eye. Goal: drink blood, eat flesh. Flaw: followed by a huge cloud of stench.
P 13, M 12, MP 8
Skills: detect +2 (1), movement +2 (1), magic (sleep 1) +3 (1)
Perks: martial artist, sleepless, owl's eye
Gear: teeth & claws d6, dead hide d4

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Whenever I find a new RPG, I have to ask two basic questions:
1) How does it work? And,
2) What makes it different?

Here are the answers for Modos 2, in case you're like me!

1) Players role-play actions for their characters and a GM moderates the outcomes until a PC would encounter difficulty. Then the player rolls a d20 against the GM's d20, called a Contest. The player typically gets bonuses for attributes (three of them) and skill, while the GM gets bonuses for difficulty. There are no hits, misses, successes, or failures. Instead, there are favorable outcomes, unfavorable outcomes, and ties. The player interprets his intent, character elements, and situation to describe his desired outcome, and the GM moderates the outcome according to the result of the contest.

When things get more intense, the GM uses an Extended Conflict framework to resolve conflict. This assigns priorities to the actions of the characters who are not limited to when they can act, but are instead limited in the number of actions they can use each round. Timing and type of action can be critical in extended conflict...

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
How it works probably sounds fairly familiar, which makes the important part what makes it different:

2) There is a cyclical role-playing reward system, called Hero Points. Players determine what makes their characters heroic and can add a d6, or hero point, to any contest that reinforces this. In turn, the GM rewards more hero points to the players when they make role-playing choices that support their character concepts but conflict with their character goals, or are otherwise role-playing well.

The game is customizable on multiple levels. One is at the player level; character elements are abstract enough to allow players to define their characters, whether with attributes, skills, or hero points. Another is the GM level; lists and individual rules can be tailored to create a new feel for the game or customize it to the game group. Yet another is the rulebook level; the game provides five rules modules (core, character, extended conflict, combat, and magic), only two of which are essential, and new modules can be easily adopted to, for example, completely reshape the combat system or to add a horror system to a themed game.

To reinforce the game's focus on simplicity, there is a single, short table provided for GM use: the Difficulty table. This is what the GM uses to improve opposition rolls against the PCs, and it's based on how difficult something would be for the "average" person.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
My ferocious team of rabid chihuahuas are busily setting up the fan/support-site for the game. Take a look around before they start charging admission at the door. Ooops, nevermind, the website, modules, and basic rulebook will all be free.

Modos 2 website

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I just want to mention: the Modos 2 site now has the entire rules catalog - all 81 of them. So technically, the game is fully available there. Here's a shortcut: http://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/wikis/rules-catalog

I'm still working on the book, which is essentially a 100-page version of the fast play rules. It will also contain a full powers list and NPC list, but I'll get some samples posted on the website soon.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Happy Halloween! :devil:
I'm formatting the free book right now, but that doesn't help you scare the daylights out of players at tonight's game, so maybe these two monsters will help:

Ghost 4
The incorporeal essence of a formerly living creature. A Disabled ghost will disappear and reform near its corpse. Goal: one thing in the living world, a right or a wrong, keeps a ghost from resting. Flaw: has no body. Depending on the campaign theme, this might prevent a ghost from dealing or taking physical damage.
P 8, M 12, MP 14
Skills: magic (fear 3) +0 (3), magic (alter 1) +12 (1)
Perks: sleepless, owl’s eye, karma, mystic ward
Gear: ghostly claws d4, mystic ward d4

Goblin, rogue 2
Short and scrawny, a troublemaker who works for the highest bidder. Goal: create as much chaos as he feels the civilized world does for goblins. Flaw: short, ugly and hairy.
P 14, M 10, MP 8
Skills: sneak +4 (2), larceny +3 (1)
Perks: skill point (larceny), backstabber
Gear: dagger d4, lockpicks

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases