Price Disparity between AL and PFS at Origins.

Inconnunom

Explorer
That was pretty much exactly the scenario at GenCon -- the first GenCon with the 'D&D Experience' was also, IIRC, the last one WotC attended, and WotC provided lots of swag for the VIP tracks. When WotC wasn't at the next GenCon, there was outcry over the lack of swag, though WotC ponied up after-the-fact to try to mollify the complainers.

A lot of people took the complaining as criticism of the way Baldman was running OP, when it was really about the lack of swag.

--
Pauper

Perhaps? I don't know anyone personally or met anyone (after Winter Fantasy 2016) at the cons that ran in the eXperience track that was pissed at the lack of swag. Maybe there were a couple who were exceptionally vocal I didn't see. I do know many who were pissed at the lack of quality and quantity of adventures. $150 for 4 forgettable games was just not worth it during Gencon 2016. People were already aware of lack of swag going into it after Gencon 2015's affair. Though to be fair at Gencon 2015, going from tons of free stuff to being stuffed into a cramped room that the lights get turned out on you, is a big shift in direction.

hoshisabi

Explorer
One thing to add: the cost of the adventures is DEFINITELY not part of the price, even if it were it would have been minuscule.

BMG writes their own adventures. Now, the cost to WRITE the adventures is probably part of the price. They pay their authors, I believe.

They also have a ton of volunteers, a ton of DMs that they graciously put up in rooms if they DM enough, they print a ton of stuff, they may even rent that hall themselves. They definitely have some costs.

But everyone else probably has the real full reason on the nose: They sell out, they ALWAYS advertise for more DMs, and they eagerly snapped up folks that volunteer to run "one more slot." (I had exactly two slots open last GenCon, and I ended up volunteering to run for one of them since I didn't think I could get out of the hall and into something else before I had to start my next one.) It's chaotic but managed, and jam packed.

In the end, they're a business... so they'll charge what they can in order to make a profit. (though, I can't imagine it's a huge one, if he was just doing it for the money there's a lot of other industries that would take less effort.)

Remove ads