D&D 5E Red Larch area 23

CapnZapp

Legend
In my continued attempts to google up something relevant to this mystery, I'v found

Mike Schley’s Red Larch DM Map: If you buy the maps of Red Larch from Mike Schley, you’ll note that the DM map has some extra keyed locations (#23-25) that don’t correspond to anything in the book. The last two are just the quarries, while #23 appears to be another business of some kind.

http://firstblood20.tumblr.com/post/118789568028/incongruities-in-princes-of-the-apocalypse

No resolution, but at least I'm not alone in noticing the incongruity :)

D-Starseeker

Villager
I've read elsewhere that it was probably a mistake or miscommunication, and 25 spots on the map were originally requested of Schley, but only 22 locations were provided by the book in the end.

However, for anyone interested in filling in the whole with a business ordained by WoTC publishing (and thus, a "canon" Forgotten Realms location), you can make it the Dran & Courtier. This inn was featured in the 2019 Wizards and Penny Arcade partnership book Acquisitions Incorporated. The Dran & Courtier featured importantly within the contained adventure module, The Orrey of the Wanderer.

The primary writer/designer for the Acqusitions Inc book, Jerry Holkins, has stated on Twitter that the 23 location is where he imagines the Dran & Courtier inn to be.

Below: The Dran & Courtier of Red Larch at evening.

Dran_&_courtier-5e.jpg

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Now that's what I call a well-crafted thread necromancy!

Thank you!

Do you have a source to the "mistake or miscommunication"?

D-Starseeker

Villager
Haha, you're welcome!

I don't have any specific source to that. I'm just repeating what I saw in a Reddit thread when researching the same question. The last post in the thread gives a pretty reasonable explanation as to why there are 23-25 on the map Schley sells on his own website, but as to why they weren't included in the book. Most likely that it was initially requested that he produce a map with 1-25, but when the designers wrote out the descriptions, they combined the 24 and 25 descriptions of the stone quarries into the 18 and 12 descriptions of Mellikho and Dornen, respectively. And seemingly 23 was unneeded by the module designers. So that is why it doesn't appear in the book, but I guess then Schley just posted the original with 25 marked locations to be sold online.

CapnZapp

Legend
Thanks. I went to that thread to find out who made that post but once again, foiled by Reddit's annoying ability to delete users, so you can't track them down.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases