Ralif's D&D Open Report

There’s a longer post on my Origins experience brewing, but I wanted to start with my thoughts on the D&D Open this year.

To start with, I loved the short sneak peaks of the next season. It totally has me psyched for some adventures in Chult.

Last year I absolutely hated the D&D Open – a combination of a bad DM and poor group chemistry made for a miserable experience. But I was willing to give it another shot this year.

And the experience was so much better. I lucked out and had a great group and a great DM. Even while facing tough puzzles and tougher battles, we laughed uproariously and role-played our characters. It’s no small feat to have such fun at a table where everyone in the party died (with my poor brother’s gnome dying twice in the stomach of the same giant frog).

But character death was not the end. My character came back, now with the undead template. I’ve got mixed feelings on this. For my character, a death-seeking, doom-haunted old barbarian, it adds a greater depth and is just plain cool. It’s like I get to play a T’lan Imass from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series! But it’s the kind of twist that doesn’t work for every character, something I would only do with the consent of the player. I imagine that for more than a few PCs, that killed off the character just as much as a permanent death.

There was a ton of swag given away – tote bags, dice bags, stickers, and patches with the Green Devil Face from Tomb of Horrors. Heck, they even gave away copies of the new character sheet packs.

As for next year’s D&D Open, we shall see. Now that I’ve had a good experience at one, I’m not sure I need to do another super-deadly, puzzle-laden tournament challenge.

The room was super-cold, though. Made one almost long for the heat of Chult’s jungles.

Akiro

First Post
I played in the Open as well and had a great time. Our DM was very good, and our table had good chemistry. I think the Baldman folks did a really great job of organizing things aside from not having magic item certs due to printer problems. But they did provide certs for the 4 story awards my character received, and those were all pretty cool.

It's interesting that the OP mentioned the deadliness of the adventure, because that wasn't our experience at all. Nobody in our group died, and nobody really came close. We were challenged, but it never felt like we were in danger of losing anyone. But that can obviously vary by DM and by character tier (we were in the level 8-10 band). We also had a pretty sturdy and methodical group.

Our group enjoyed the puzzles but I'm sure some groups were frustrated by the cube puzzle in particular.

The other highlight for me was the special encounter. The DM for that section was amazing, and it was a super fun, intense 45 minute challenge.

And yes, the room was cold. After shivering through the first day, I was dressed appropriately for the Open. I'm definitely going to do it again next year.

Interesting – we were first tier, and it was definitely a challenge. My character almost made it to the end without dying, but two of our group had to leave when the event ran past 10pm. After that, it didn't take long.

I enjoyed the puzzles. We were only maybe a minute or two from getting the cube answer, having gotten most of it already. The archery, dice-stacking, and hrm, “letter deduction” (that sounds better than “block feeling”) challenges were a neat change of pace, too.

It's interesting that the OP mentioned the deadliness of the adventure, because that wasn't our experience at all. Nobody in our group died, and nobody really came close. We were challenged, but it never felt like we were in danger of losing anyone. But that can obviously vary by DM and by character tier (we were in the level 8-10 band). We also had a pretty sturdy and methodical group.

Our group enjoyed the puzzles but I'm sure some groups were frustrated by the cube puzzle in particular.

devlin1

Explorer
I whole-heartedly agree that this year's Open was better than The Soulbound Tomb of last year. I've complained to anyone who's made the mistake of asking me about those puzzles last year -- I didn't like how out-of-character they were/felt, and how they interrupted a cool thing (soloing a green dragon -- I will never not shut up about that) to do a thing that, in my daily life, I intentionally choose to avoid, because seriously, word searches.

But even though we didn't come close to solving the challenge of the cubes, I appreciated that it at least felt like something our characters were doing and made sense in the narrative. The smorgasbord of mini-games, less so, but still, at least it was short, varied, and fun. I liked fondling those blocks! Sue me! So hats off to M. Sean Molley for that, because I know he was for sure behind it.

We were an 8-10 table of six, with an AL admin for a DM, and we found the last set of encounters pretty challenging. We had a character go down to zero HP in spectacular fashion, only to be saved by another PC just as spectacularly, but we didn't end up actually making it out before time was up. My Eldritch Knight, who never worries about damage very much, got down to 3 HP from 124. It was tense at the end there, which is what I want out of D&D combat in general.

As far as ROI, yeah, the seats were $20 a ticket, but subtract the price of the character sheet-folder-thing I probably would've bought even though I think it's pretty gutsy to sell character sheets in 2017, that's $10 for an 8-hour event. No complaints there.

Heh, at our table, it was more like a universal cry of "Not it!" for that. I did the dice-stacking, which was harder than it looked until I discarded all the dissimilarly-shaped dice from the pile. My brother did the archery challenge, as he actually has experience doing that sort of thing, albeit with throwing axes and knives.

I liked fondling those blocks! Sue me! So hats off to M. Sean Molley for that, because I know he was for sure behind it.

Zene

First Post
The room was super-cold, though. Made one almost long for the heat of Chult’s jungles.

Oh man. While I'm sure that wasn't fun, every con I've ever attended was somewhere between uncomfortably warm, and 9th-level-of-hell #allmyclothesaresoakedandimsittinginapuddle hot. I'd love to have to bring a sweater to one as a change of pace.

But yeah thanks for the review. Sounds like a blast. Looking forward to the longer Origins review you mentioned.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases