Converted T1-T4

ccs

41st lv DM
1st, do you know how to read a 1e stat block?
I'm not asking as snark, I'm asking because if you don't it can look like gibberish. A strip of mixed capitalized letters, #s, & sometimes misc characters. Not all of wich mean anything to the current edition.

Post the stat block for the 1e bandit/brigand & I'll translate it. Likewise for Rhennee (I don't remember this npc at all)
(Brigands were just CE bandits)

Halboy60

Villager
Ok first I'm using the 3.5 edition for my campaigne. So I need to know how to convert the bandit/brigands from 2.5e to 3.5e. Do I use the 3.5e stats from the Dmg for non-classed NPC's, i.e the adept, aristocrats, commoners, expert, or warriors? If so at what level should I set them, what skills and feats should they have?

JonnyP71

Explorer
Does 3.5E have standard stats for Bandits, Soldiers, etc? If so use those, while tweaking the weapons they use to add some variety.

T1-4 is 1E AD&D, not 2.5E, and is an ambitious project to attempt to convert, especially if you are not familiar with 1E presentation. The statistics provided for the DM by the adventure were very bare bones, and assumed the DM to either have a Monster Manual to hand during play, or an extremely good memory for damage/THAC0/special abilities etc. It was a very poor adventure module in this respect - all of the 'Supermodules' were - they were lazily edited and expected a lot of work from the DM.

T1-4 is also the sort of module that can turn into one long slog if the DM is inexperienced due to its sheer size and the numbers of enemies - it's hard work to run. I really would not recommend it as your 1st conversion project. Or rather - just focus on T1 (Hommlet and the Moathouse), forget the rest. The Village of Hommlet is an excellent base to use for your party, and the Moathouse is a tidy little dungeon and a lot of fun. The Temple/Nodes/etc were um, well they were... erm... a 'disappointment'. They are massive, and took a very long time to play through using 1E rules, with 3.5E running considerably more slowly than 1E due to the extra combat mechanics, this might only exaggerate the problems those levels had.

Last edited:

Halboy60

Villager
I finished converting Hommlet, actually redid Hommlet to suit my world and redid the Moathouse a bit also. Kept the maps of course but I did keep the NPC's as well as created some more. But I really was looking to know more about how to create the bandits/brigands and the Rhennee which are the bargefolk in the module. I originally played and ran the module back in the day but have forgotten so much about the monsters and such. Don't know if I have the original MM any more. That was 25+ years ago when I did it. I still liked the idea of Temple, but would like to make it a complete package.
I still have 2.5e books and of course the 3.5e books. Don't know about you but 4.0 was a failure to me. It just didn't seem like Dungeons and Dragons anymore. Don't know much about the 5.0e, but a friend said it was pretty good.

JonnyP71

Explorer
In the module the river folk were mostly nothing more than level 0 Bandits with a few higher level fighters added to create a heirarchy. The regular sailors had 3-7 hitpoints, most wore leather armour, and carried a variety of basic weapons. The leaders (levels 8, 6, 4, 4, 2) were all better equipped, some had magic weapons.

There wasn't much more said about them, only the 2 highest level fighters were named, and the impression was given that they were little more than a group of thugs who spent their ill-gotten gains on beer.

It should convert to 5E more easily than 3.5E, though you may need to reduce enemy numbers a little. 5E is faster and more intuitive to run too.

ccs

41st lv DM
Ok first I'm using the 3.5 edition for my campaigne. So I need to know how to convert the bandit/brigands from 2.5e to 3.5e. Do I use the 3.5e stats from the Dmg for non-classed NPC's, i.e the adept, aristocrats, commoners, expert, or warriors? If so at what level should I set them, what skills and feats should they have?

You should set them as whatever lv = their listed HD. Wether you make them fighters, those NPC classes, or whatever is in the MM for bandits doesn't matter.

3x/PF adds ALOT of crap to a stat block. Sometimes it's usefull. Most often it's just too much useless info.
All you really need to know afterall is: AC, HP, HD/Lv, total attack bonus, Saves, # of attacks & Damage
Special relevant abilities - as per class lv
Feats? If you're not looking at an important NPC don't bother.
Skills? See above ^
If you must pull out a feat or skill, just abstract it. Skills? Just add +1 to the dice roll per lv/HD. Feats? About 1 per 2 Lv/HD

Only if the random bandit or whatever survives & becomes important to the game should you go back & fully stat them.
Otherwise your wasting time writing down pointless crap.

Remove ads