What's your exercise routine?

Libramarian

Adventurer
It's important to differentiate between weight loss and fat loss, unless you're well into the obese range to start out then the gym will probably put on the pounds but they're good pounds. Along the same vein, losing muscle mass on a low calorie diet isn't doing your health any benefit.

I don't endorse dieting unless you're gigantic.

I think you're exaggerating a bit here. I think anyone at an "obese" BMI should be dieting with or without exercise, and anyone at an "overweight" BMI should be dieting + exercise.

There's some research showing that if you're overweight and muscular, you don't have the same risk of diabetes/metabolic syndrome as someone overweight and fat, but you still have an increased risk of heart disease compared to someone of normal BMI. Thin and lean is best for health.

I'm overweight by BMI despite looking slim and fit, so I understand how in the west our body standards are such that it's unintuitive how skinny humans should be for optimal health, but it is what it is. One shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good of course.

thehrrf

First Post
I think you're exaggerating a bit here. I think anyone at an "obese" BMI should be dieting with or without exercise, and anyone at an "overweight" BMI should be dieting + exercise.

Agree with everything that you wrote there.

My absolutist take on dieting is in regard to reduced calorie intake, which didn't work well at all for me. I exercise a lot (by white collar standards, I won't pretend to be on the same page as the guys carrying shingles up ladders all morning) and have for all of my life. When I cut calories I cut weight fast (BMI down 4 points in 3 months) but lost all of my energy and motivation to move at the same time. Going to the gym felt like a aching chore instead of a reward. That may have been good for my knees and heart but it was no good at all for my quality of life, and more importantly if a starvation-mode metabolism takes the fun out of the gym for a born meathead like me then how is a fatty who's indisposed to exercise in the first place going to stick with it?

A diet to cut the sugar, alcohol, and white flours out on the other hand is a good thing for anyone no matter how thin you are.

Diem

Explorer
I just got back into powerlifting. I have a 6 day per week routine.

Monday - Deadlift
Tuesday - Bench Press
Wednesday - Cardio
Thursday - Light Bench Press/Dumbell training
Friday - Squats (never skip leg day)
Saturday - Overhead Press and Cardio
Sunday - Rest

I add in accessory work after each workout. My numbers are getting better but not where they used to be.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using EN World mobile app

I have a very simple routine. I go outside, point myself directly at the centre of the municipality, and walk.

The resultant sparring match with Gojira quite suffices for my yearly exercise, and the profits from the audio-video cover-up 'movie' covers for my living expenses.

Either that, or I simply wander around downtown for one or more hours.

And a lot of people get surprise eye tests. Funny, that.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Twice a week I do an hour of interval exercises, two or three times a week I bike or run, and once a week I play racquetball.

I find the best way I keep up with it is by making it part of my routine. I'm lucking enough to be permitted to take an hour break in the middle of my work day, so I start my work day an hour earlier. Getting up an hour earlier meant I had to go to bed an hour earlier. It was hard when I first started doing it but now that it's been part of my routine for the past six years it's no different than other regular routines, like a job.

I also find it helps to workout with other people. There are a group of us who work out together or at least go to the gym together so there's always motivation. And it turns it into a social activity rather than a solitary activity, which I prefer.

Also I find it helps to switch things up. If your weightlifting routine is becoming a drag, try something different to keep it interesting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases