D&D 5E What's the worst spell?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I disagree on witchbolt. It has specific uses.

You roll one attack. And then you get continuing, free, auto-hit damage for up to 10 rounds. At d12 per round. No save.

Cast as a higher level, say, third- do 3d12 per round, every round, for up to 10 rounds.

Only the initial damage is increased with a higher level spell slot. The per round damage stays at 1d12.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Sorry, but the importance is in if it's a ogrish spell or not.

Whether it's the second worst or only the third worst, isn't particularly useful... 😉

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

I think you are mixing up what thread we are in :)

Witch Bolt and True Strike are both concentration, so that doesn't work.
Quite right! I take that back.
Even if it did, you would have to spend a whole round not contributing for WB's puddly damage. The auto hit on future rounds sounds good, but your committing most of your future rounds to doing piddly damage to one target, not useful if the target dies, or circumstances require you to do something else on a subsequent turn. Really, in most cases, just use a cantrip.
But at levels 1-5 anyway, you're doing significantly more damage than a cantrip. If you just add up the damage and compare witch bolt to magic missile plus cantrips, witch bolt does better if you go for like 5 rounds, or even three rounds if you have advantage on the initial attack (assuming something like a 50% hit chance).

I totally agree though that most of the time, you'll be better off preparing magic missile. That's why witch bolt is not a good spell. But I think typically it is only a bit worse. Whereas if you compare Mord's Sword to Flaming Sphere, it's like 50% less damage.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Quite right! I take that back.
To further your point: It still won't work, as you can't get the Bonus Action Attack if you cast a spell. Which means you already lost the effects of last turn's True Strike when concentration dropped for this turn's True Strike.

jaelis

To further your point: It still won't work, as you can't get the Bonus Action Attack if you cast a spell. Which means you already lost the effects of last turn's True Strike when concentration dropped for this turn's True Strike.
I'm not really following here? My original thought was
Round 1 True Strike
Round 2 Witch Bolt with advantage
Round 3+ Autodamage action from witch bolt

But of course Round 2 fails, since True Strike ends as soon as I start casting witch bolt. (Really it wouldn't be that great even if it worked.)

But there weren't any bonus actions involved, and I was only casting true strike once.

Well, being Resistant to Slashing, Bludgeoning, and Piercing damage for the rest of your adventuring career may be "boring", but some kinds of boring are more appealing than others. :)

It also depends on the table. If you're playing at a table where the DM believes in tailoring challenges to the PCs, all you're doing is asking for a campaign full of oozes and elementals doing acid/fire/thunder damage, and maybe some githyanki doing psychic damage. :(

jaelis

Witch bolt actually becomes a MUCH better spell in the higher levels when it does 5-9d12 and can be twinned to a second creature. At which point the continual damage is an afterthought
[/URL]
At level 6+, it seems like disintegrate will be considerably better for single-target damage.

Remove ads