• Yes

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Lemon Curry

Votes: 13 14.6%

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I don't mind them, but oddly enough my actual preference for dogs over cats as pets has bled over into the game and I'd prefer a canine race over a feline one any day. Except tigers, tigers are horrifyingly amazing creatures and when I can just put a tiger-like skin on a feline race I can stomach it a bit more. Luckily there's more than one way to skin a cat...

*rimshot*

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I wouldn't say that:
Feline Agility is going to come up about as much as "can't be magically put to sleep"

This would not be true in the games I play.

Feline Agility can be used every second round in combat, regardless of opponents, and can allow the character to overcome many battlefield obstacles. Further, because it's a multiplier, it disproportionately impacts other speed-enhancing abilities (such as Haste, monk's speed, Longstrider, Rogue's Cunning Action, etc.).

The Tabaxi speed boost should absolutely not be underestimated. I've got a player using one for a Valor Bard, and only his deliberately odd-ball combat methods (he likes using a Rapier and Whip, to imitate Indiana Jones) keep it restrained. The other players - especially the Aasimar - reckon that ability is borderline broken for how often it can be used.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Feline Agility can be used every second round in combat
Sure, if you give up moving then for moving now. It's a boon, but I wouldn't say it's that much of a boon. It's advantage is tactical in nature, rather than numeric.
(Incidentally, Haste gives the exact same multiplier to speed.)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Sure, if you give up moving then for moving now. It's a boon, but I wouldn't say it's that much of a boon.
I'm not denying your preference; I am saying my own play style would take advantage of that much more than encountering magical sleep.

It's advantage is tactical in nature, rather than numeric.
(Incidentally, Haste gives the exact same multiplier to speed.)
It doesn't. Haste gives an extra action -- it's not a multiplier. As a result, the effects stack, which they wouldn't if both were a multiplier.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
It doesn't. Haste gives an extra action -- it's not a multiplier. As a result, the effects stack, which they wouldn't if both were a multiplier.

"Choose a willing creature that you can see within range.
Until the spell ends, the target’s speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action.
When the spell ends, the target can’t move or take actions until after its next turn, as a wave of lethargy sweeps over it."

Emphasis mine. Also I'm pretty sure that the effects would stack for 4x speed, but I haven't verified that.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Choose a willing creature that you can see within range.
Until the spell ends, the target’s speed is doubled,
<snip>
Emphasis mine. Also I'm pretty sure that the effects would stack for 4x speed, but I haven't verified that.

My bad; I'd forgotten about that part, and was only considering the extra dash.
It's still true that the Tabaxi bonus disproportionately impacts speed-enhancing abilities.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
What's the practical impact of this speed boost on actual play though? One PC can catch up to a fleeing villain maybe? Stick and move with swashbuckler feature or Mobile feat? Kite with a bow? I'm not all that concerned about its impact on the game.

If it's that big a deal, have the villain create a special magical item to deal with this fast-mover:

Ball of Yarn
Wondrous Item, uncommon
As an action, you can throw this ball of yarn up to 60 feet. Any feline creature of any type (tabaxi, weretiger, rakshasa, lion, deadly house cats, etc.) that can see the ball of yarn must make a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or become charmed. While charmed by the ball of yarn, on its turn the affected creature must spend all of its movement to move adjacent to the ball of yarn and, as an action, bat it away up to 30 feet in a random direction. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Have never been a fan of "exotic" races in general, many of them attract and/or encourage player behaviour that I could do without. I have pretty much no desire to play one of these, I typically play a human. All that being said, Tabaxi have been a huge success with new/newer players (females particularly IME, FWIW). The race has been a great tool to get them excited about the game, roleplaying, and just really engaged without much of those annoying behaviours exotic races can bring out. So, while I don't have them in every game by any means, I have found them super useful and fun for many players so I have to "like" them.

Remove ads