Coolest Cantrips for a Fiendish Tomelock

bkwrm79

Villager
I'm hoping my Tiefling Warlock hits level 3 this weekend, and looking for ideas in case I've missed anything really cool for my cantrips.

Background: Fiend Patron, Tomelock (or will be), party includes a Cleric who has Guidance and Spare the Dying, but I'm the only arcane caster. I started with Thaumaturgy, Prestidigitation and Eldritch Blast. I'm looking for coolness and utility.

I'm currently leaning toward Control Flames and Mold Earth from EEPC - they seem very thematic, albeit I'm not sure how useful they'd actually be. Also Mend, for the utility.

I haven't ruled out Spare the Dying in case I need to cast it on the Cleric (would be cool to send my familiar over to deliver it). But, we're playing with Hero Points which makes that cantrip less vital.

Thoughts?

pdegan2814

First Post
Obviously Fire Bolt fits for a Fiendlock, but as purely a damage cantrip it's likely to be overshadowed by Eldritch Blast. I agree, Control Flames could be a fun thematic choice in the same vein as Thaumaturgy & Prestidigitation. I would make sure you have a secondary go-to damage source though, just in case your DM throws a Helmed Horror at you :) If your guy carries a staff then Shillelagh is always nice to have, it'll give you a melee attack that's magical that you can use in an emergency. Thorn Whip can be fun too, it's an interesting cantrip that can make a melee attack at range, and if you have Repelling Blast you can both push AND pull people around the battlefield :)

mellored

Legend
Something usable in melee would be good. Such as shillelagh + green flame blade, shocking grasp, or thorn whip.
Otherwise, mending, druid craft, friends, and the like.

Who else is in your party?

bkwrm79

Villager
Thanks for the suggestions so far. So many choices...

I don't carry a staff currently, but it wouldn't be very hard to acquire one. However, I'm strongly considering taking Spell Sniper as my first or second feat and getting Shocking Grasp that way as a melee option. Primal Savagery is an option I'd missed and it seems rather fitting... it would mesh well with the Barbed Hide feat.

Besides my warlock, we've got a Gnome Shadowmonk, Elf Knowledge Cleric and a tank-type (either druid or fighter, but we each missed one session so I don't know what he finally decided on).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases