Fantasy Flight Games Announces Genesys RPG

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Each of the settings will also provide character templates, equipment and foes specific to each. The five settings in the core book will be Fantasy, Steampunk, Weird War, Modern Day and Science Fiction. Some of these are further broken down within their relevant section – for instance in the Science Fiction section looks at both hard science fiction as well as space operas.

A Dynamic Dice System
Genesys utilizes the Narrative Dice System which allows for creative storytelling that goes beyond success and failure, and allows every dice roll to impact the story in dramatic ways.

Every challenge your character faces will have them rolling some combination of Ability and Difficulty dice, known as a dice pool, to determine the results. Ability dice come from your character’s unique skills and characteristics, and provide Success and Advantage symbols. Difficulty dice come from the difficulty of the task your character is trying to achieve, and provide Failure and Threat symbols. Lockpicking an old, rusty door may only provide one Difficulty die, while hacking through a hi-tech firewall designed by a master codesmith may provide many more Difficulty dice. To succeed in whatever task your character is trying to accomplish, a player simply must roll more Success symbols than Failure symbols.

While this may seem simple, the addition of the Advantage and Threat symbols make the results far from binary. Rolling more Advantage symbols yields some positive side effect, regardless of success or failure of the task. This can include things like finding unexpected cover in a firefight or remaining unnoticed while hacking a computer. Meanwhile, rolling Threat means some negative side effect has occurred. Maybe your character drops their weapon after a successful attack or takes longer than expected to track their quarry through the wilderness.

When your character is an expert in the field, or when a task is truly difficult, Ability dice and Difficulty dice can be upgraded to Proficiency and Challenge dice, respectively. Proficiency dice, like Ability dice, feature Success and Advantage symbols, but also include the Triumph symbol. The Triumph symbol not only represents a Success, but also provides a massive side benefit to your action. This might be inflicting a critical injury on a foe or triggering a powerful ability on a weapon. Inversely, the Challenge die features Failure and Threat symbols, but also includes the powerful Despair symbol. Rolling this icon not only counts as a Failure, but indicates a significant bane or side effect to your action. Your character may fall off the rope they are trying to climb, or run out of ammo in the middle of a gunfight. These effects can drastically impact the course of your game, and make every dice roll an exciting event.

Your dice pool can further be modified by Boost and Setback dice. Boost dice feature Success and Advantage symbols, and are added to your roll when the circumstances around the task you are trying to achieve are beneficial. Maybe your character has hacked a computer like this before, or they have ample time to complete the task; your GM will likely add Boost dice to your pool. Setback dice, on the other hand, feature Failure and Threat symbols, and represent complications to the task at hand. Maybe your character is trying to act in the dark, or they don’t have the resources they need.

With the variance provided by these clever Advantage and Threat icons, the possibilities of results are limited only by you and your GM’s creativity.

More information can be found out about Genesys on the Fantasy Flight Games website.
SaveSave

Staccat0

First Post
These games driven by reading tea leaves always make me feel less creative because it feels like a I have to solve a basic little puzzle before I can talk. Maybe I just never stuck with it long enough to internalize what all the little symbols mean though.

Dire Bare

Legend
To each his own and all that, if the crazy dice aren't your style that's cool, but . . . .

So many are acting like it would be near impossible to get used to this different system with a smidgen of practice. Aren't we D&D nerds supposed to be brainy and creative? I haven't had the chance to play the FFG Star Wars RPG yet, but after reading through examples of actions using the dice in one of their starter sets, the dice system seems like it would be hella confusing for a game session or two, but then begin to roll smoothly, like butta, rather quickly. And the method opens up a lot of narrative possibility I can't see with the traditional RPG dice set that came in my D&D basic rules box.

I'm hesitant to jump into FFG's Star Wars game not because of the dice, but rather because of the game being divided into three very expensive versions. If they were to publish a condensed "omnibus" edition of their game that brought the three lines together, I'd buy that in a heartbeat! It's a wait-and-see with Genesys, as good as the system might be, I'm not really looking for a new RPG system (sorry Cypher, Savage, and the many other good alternate rulesets out there). But, a really awesome campaign product might change my mind . . . .

I'm not a fan of games where, after rolling the dice, you then have to sit and have a discussion about what does it mean. Feels more like therapy than gaming! Much prefer to just have a simple dice mechanic that lets the DM get on with things. My main curiosity is whether they'll try to use this for L5R; since many people I know love that game, I'm likely to be playing the new FFG version at some point.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
So this more of a toolkit or guide for using their system in different types of games? "Fantasy" isn't really a setting.

I agree with many of the above posters that this looks like the first effort in what will likely be several RPG's using the same system. They've been building up their own fantasy setting in various board and miniature games for a while now and that seems like a likely candidate.

Someone mentioned a Twilight Imperium RPG - they had one 10+ years ago and it was ... not good. A more robust RPG for that seems pretty likely too.

L5R is pretty obvious but I was thinking they might have acquired it as a setting to expand their new miniatures game system and I keep hoping that for an RPG they would keep the system L5R is known for. That seems less likely after this announcement as now they appear to have a official house system for RPGs - beyond just Star Wars - and with most companies that means everything they release is going to use a version of that system.

Also we all know it's all about the IP these days. Develop it in one format, say a boardgame, and once it gets popular enough the expansion begins into Card Games, RPG's, miniatures, novels, etc.

First: I'm full of joy about FFG's plans! Hopefully they have learned from WHF 3rd and EotE and put in some clarifications to the system.

I tried EotE with my group and had quite a lot of fun, but we got exhausted quite quickly by rolling checks too often. Not beacuse of reading the dice. After a while we got good with it. But we had some burn out because of thinking constantly how setbacks and advantages would translate into the whole game. So after several sessions we dismissed the system and went back to D&D.
And that was the problem: We tried to play it like a D&D-clone. But that's how the problems start. If you want to roll for every action a PC takes, it will get tedious and you will have a hard time to forge an interesting narrative around the setbacks and advantages. But if you restrain yourself from the D&D paradigm of "okay, you want to do X, then give me a roll", then it will work superb! Not every action requires a roll. Not every instance has to be about checking whether your character accomplishes something or not.
If this will be communicated well enough in the rulebook, then the people getting into Genesys will have a blast, I think. If not, then people will be quickly annoyed.

My hopes are high, though!

Malovech

Explorer
I loved the concept when reading it in the Warhammer 3e rules ... wow sounds so fun. In play I had a hard time with it from a player and gm perspective. It seemed really slow to resolve. Maybe with experience this speeds up but we never got past more than 2 sessions each time we tried. I have not tried Star Wars, so unsure if anything changed.

I had the exact same experience. It seems interesting when you read about it, and for a boardgame mechanic the dice system seemed interesting, but when you try and put it into practice it is way too slow and clunky. Try running an encounter with more than 3-4 NPCs and it is a nightmare. I don't get the fondness for these mechanics.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Hmm... could this be the generic system I've been waiting for to run a Shadowrun game? I guess I'll have to wait and see how the rules handle magic (probably similar to the Force), decking, and hacking.

I really don't need multiple subsystems and mini-game for all those types of activities.

Brodie

Explorer
I'm not a fan of games where, after rolling the dice, you then have to sit and have a discussion about what does it mean. Feels more like therapy than gaming! Much prefer to just have a simple dice mechanic that lets the DM get on with things. My main curiosity is whether they'll try to use this for L5R; since many people I know love that game, I'm likely to be playing the new FFG version at some point.

If you're spending more than five minutes discussing what your advantages or threats or despairs or triumphs do, sure, it can get annoying. I've been in a FFG Star Wars game that my group has played in (not every week) for over two years. Usually the GM comes up with the idea of what those do, sometimes we the players ask "Can I have it mean this?" and the GM goes along with that. Granted, three of us have been the core of the group and playing rpgs every Sunday for over a decade so we get usually get back to the game quickly.

L5R is pretty obvious but I was thinking they might have acquired it as a setting to expand their new miniatures game system and I keep hoping that for an RPG they would keep the system L5R is known for. That seems less likely after this announcement as now they appear to have a official house system for RPGs - beyond just Star Wars - and with most companies that means everything they release is going to use a version of that system.

Yeah, I've been holding out hope that they would be using that system as well. However, all the stuff I saw about the deal between FFG and AEG two years ago kept mentioning the sale of IP for Legend of the Five Rings. This would greatly explain why the card game mechanics - while quite similar - are different from what fans knew. If they had acquired the mechanics used for the card game, I'm sure they wouldn't have taken two years get the new product out. Developing, playtesting, and tweaking a whole new system for a card game would explain the two year gap, and I doubt a game company would do all that if they had acquired the mechanics as well; that would be money spent unnecessarily. With that in mind, it would mean that they also didn't acquire the Roll & Keep system for the rpg.

While it's nice to see FFG making use of the system present in their Star Wars game (I quite like it) as a generic system, I am strongly against it being used for L5R. It would not have the same feel of impact that combat did in the R&K system. That said, the non-combat stuff in L5R could work well with narrative dice.

I'll be sticking with the last iteration of L5R for now and keep Star Wars separate. But if FFG ever puts out an L5R rpg, I'll likely buy it regardless of the system.

Hmm... could this be the generic system I've been waiting for to run a Shadowrun game? I guess I'll have to wait and see how the rules handle magic (probably similar to the Force), decking, and hacking.

I really don't need multiple subsystems and mini-game for all those types of activities.

Have you tried Shadowrun: Anarchy by any chance?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads