Fantasy Flight Games Announces Genesys RPG

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Each of the settings will also provide character templates, equipment and foes specific to each. The five settings in the core book will be Fantasy, Steampunk, Weird War, Modern Day and Science Fiction. Some of these are further broken down within their relevant section – for instance in the Science Fiction section looks at both hard science fiction as well as space operas.

A Dynamic Dice System
Genesys utilizes the Narrative Dice System which allows for creative storytelling that goes beyond success and failure, and allows every dice roll to impact the story in dramatic ways.

Every challenge your character faces will have them rolling some combination of Ability and Difficulty dice, known as a dice pool, to determine the results. Ability dice come from your character’s unique skills and characteristics, and provide Success and Advantage symbols. Difficulty dice come from the difficulty of the task your character is trying to achieve, and provide Failure and Threat symbols. Lockpicking an old, rusty door may only provide one Difficulty die, while hacking through a hi-tech firewall designed by a master codesmith may provide many more Difficulty dice. To succeed in whatever task your character is trying to accomplish, a player simply must roll more Success symbols than Failure symbols.

While this may seem simple, the addition of the Advantage and Threat symbols make the results far from binary. Rolling more Advantage symbols yields some positive side effect, regardless of success or failure of the task. This can include things like finding unexpected cover in a firefight or remaining unnoticed while hacking a computer. Meanwhile, rolling Threat means some negative side effect has occurred. Maybe your character drops their weapon after a successful attack or takes longer than expected to track their quarry through the wilderness.

When your character is an expert in the field, or when a task is truly difficult, Ability dice and Difficulty dice can be upgraded to Proficiency and Challenge dice, respectively. Proficiency dice, like Ability dice, feature Success and Advantage symbols, but also include the Triumph symbol. The Triumph symbol not only represents a Success, but also provides a massive side benefit to your action. This might be inflicting a critical injury on a foe or triggering a powerful ability on a weapon. Inversely, the Challenge die features Failure and Threat symbols, but also includes the powerful Despair symbol. Rolling this icon not only counts as a Failure, but indicates a significant bane or side effect to your action. Your character may fall off the rope they are trying to climb, or run out of ammo in the middle of a gunfight. These effects can drastically impact the course of your game, and make every dice roll an exciting event.

Your dice pool can further be modified by Boost and Setback dice. Boost dice feature Success and Advantage symbols, and are added to your roll when the circumstances around the task you are trying to achieve are beneficial. Maybe your character has hacked a computer like this before, or they have ample time to complete the task; your GM will likely add Boost dice to your pool. Setback dice, on the other hand, feature Failure and Threat symbols, and represent complications to the task at hand. Maybe your character is trying to act in the dark, or they don’t have the resources they need.

With the variance provided by these clever Advantage and Threat icons, the possibilities of results are limited only by you and your GM’s creativity.

More information can be found out about Genesys on the Fantasy Flight Games website.
SaveSave

aramis erak

Legend
Yesterday I was rather tempted to take out the SW rules and adapt them to a fantasy setting, in order to play with a more casual gamer group. It took me some time to convince myself that I have to be patient and wait until later this year when the real deal Genesys comes out.
I still have the WH 3rd ed rules though... Maybe if I take some hours to explain it to my group...? Maybe they won't be turned off? *eyes twitching intensifies*

Someone else already did the work for you... Sky Wars: Edge of the Kingdom.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
So, being next to ignorant about the system, in going to ask a goofy question for those that have experience. I get that the dice yield both success/fail and some kind of kicker/whammy sideshow prompt. What if I just played D&D (or some other trad rpg) and rolled a Fate die along with any d20 rolls. A "+" would get you a positive kicker and a "-" would get you the negative whammy, regardless of the success or failure. Would that get similar results to what's happening in EotE or Genesys? I mean, I presume there must be more to the system. Do other mechanics trigger off of it somehow?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using EN World mobile app

Brodie

Explorer
So, being next to ignorant about the system, in going to ask a goofy question for those that have experience. I get that the dice yield both success/fail and some kind of kicker/whammy sideshow prompt. What if I just played D&D (or some other trad rpg) and rolled a Fate die along with any d20 rolls. A "+" would get you a positive kicker and a "-" would get you the negative whammy, regardless of the success or failure. Would that get similar results to what's happening in EotE or Genesys? I mean, I presume there must be more to the system. Do other mechanics trigger off of it somehow?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using EN World mobile app

It would be similar. Imagine rolling 6d20 with 5 Fate dice (I'm choosing numbers at random), and 3d20s are red and 3 Fate dice are red. The non-red are yours while the red ones are what your trying to overcome. If you roll successes on your dice, they'll counter the successes on the reds. Any uncancelled successes carry over and become the result, whether good or bad. Kind of like opposed rolls, but your rolling the GM's dice yourself. Now, let's say your d20s and the red d20s cancel each other completely, but the red Fate dice come up blank and yours are +'s. You didn't succeed, you didn't crit fail, but you've created an advantage against the enemy. For example, you're fighting on the beach and you overextend on your sword swing, missing the opponent. Regaining your footing quickly, you throw a handful of sand into your enemy's eyes. That'll make it harder for him to hit you on your turn.

That's the basic gist of the Genesys system. There's also Triumphs and Despairs, which are basically uber success/advantage combos and uber fail/threat combos respectively.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
It would be similar. Imagine rolling 6d20 with 5 Fate dice (I'm choosing numbers at random), and 3d20s are red and 3 Fate dice are red. The non-red are yours while the red ones are what your trying to overcome. If you roll successes on your dice, they'll counter the successes on the reds. Any uncancelled successes carry over and become the result, whether good or bad. Kind of like opposed rolls, but your rolling the GM's dice yourself. Now, let's say your d20s and the red d20s cancel each other completely, but the red Fate dice come up blank and yours are +'s. You didn't succeed, you didn't crit fail, but you've created an advantage against the enemy. For example, you're fighting on the beach and you overextend on your sword swing, missing the opponent. Regaining your footing quickly, you throw a handful of sand into your enemy's eyes. That'll make it harder for him to hit you on your turn.

That's the basic gist of the Genesys system. There's also Triumphs and Despairs, which are basically uber success/advantage combos and uber fail/threat combos respectively.

Do characters have mechanics that are triggered by Triumphs or Advantage results or is it all up to the GM at the time of the roll? Like is there a thing (a stunt or perk) that says "When you roll a Triumph while piloting an Xwing..." or "When you are attempting to repair a Droid and roll a Diadvantage.."?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using EN World mobile app

JeffB

Legend
Do characters have mechanics that are triggered by Triumphs or Advantage results or is it all up to the GM at the time of the roll? Like is there a thing (a stunt or perk) that says "When you roll a Triumph while piloting an Xwing..." or "When you are attempting to repair a Droid and roll a Diadvantage.."?

There are suggestions in each skill description on specific "spends". And of course the players and gm can also use it in generic ways, or use it spur of the moment to push the narrative forward.

Also, FFG tends to have scenario/scene specific/unique situation "spend" charts in their adventures.

Last edited by a moderator:

aramis erak

Legend

Several traits are triggered by triumphs. Several negative traits on gear are triggered on despair.

Generally, tho', the general meanings are used.

Brodie

Explorer

Just to add what others have said, there's also things that trigger when you get a certain amount of successes. Weapons in FFG's Star Wars have crit ratings; when you get that many successes, you do a critical hit and the GM rolls percentile dice on a critical hit chart. Of course, the NPCs can also get critical hits; I've been hit with a few.

Staffan

Legend
Just to add what others have said, there's also things that trigger when you get a certain amount of successes. Weapons in FFG's Star Wars have crit ratings; when you get that many successes, you do a critical hit and the GM rolls percentile dice on a critical hit chart. Of course, the NPCs can also get critical hits; I've been hit with a few.

Not quite. You get crits from advantages, not successes. Successes add directly to damage, and advantages can either trigger a crit or a weapon ability (e.g. if you hit someone with a flamer, two advantages can set them on fire).

aramis erak

Legend

Rules As Written, Personal combat and vehicle combat criticals are never from extra successes, only advantages or triumphs.

There are some tables where you can spend successes on multiple different things... Mass Combat, for example.
You can either increase the number of objectives or the quality done on one with each extra success...
... but it is little used in the RAW.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads