Fantasy Flight Games Announces Genesys RPG

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Each of the settings will also provide character templates, equipment and foes specific to each. The five settings in the core book will be Fantasy, Steampunk, Weird War, Modern Day and Science Fiction. Some of these are further broken down within their relevant section – for instance in the Science Fiction section looks at both hard science fiction as well as space operas.

A Dynamic Dice System
Genesys utilizes the Narrative Dice System which allows for creative storytelling that goes beyond success and failure, and allows every dice roll to impact the story in dramatic ways.

Every challenge your character faces will have them rolling some combination of Ability and Difficulty dice, known as a dice pool, to determine the results. Ability dice come from your character’s unique skills and characteristics, and provide Success and Advantage symbols. Difficulty dice come from the difficulty of the task your character is trying to achieve, and provide Failure and Threat symbols. Lockpicking an old, rusty door may only provide one Difficulty die, while hacking through a hi-tech firewall designed by a master codesmith may provide many more Difficulty dice. To succeed in whatever task your character is trying to accomplish, a player simply must roll more Success symbols than Failure symbols.

While this may seem simple, the addition of the Advantage and Threat symbols make the results far from binary. Rolling more Advantage symbols yields some positive side effect, regardless of success or failure of the task. This can include things like finding unexpected cover in a firefight or remaining unnoticed while hacking a computer. Meanwhile, rolling Threat means some negative side effect has occurred. Maybe your character drops their weapon after a successful attack or takes longer than expected to track their quarry through the wilderness.

When your character is an expert in the field, or when a task is truly difficult, Ability dice and Difficulty dice can be upgraded to Proficiency and Challenge dice, respectively. Proficiency dice, like Ability dice, feature Success and Advantage symbols, but also include the Triumph symbol. The Triumph symbol not only represents a Success, but also provides a massive side benefit to your action. This might be inflicting a critical injury on a foe or triggering a powerful ability on a weapon. Inversely, the Challenge die features Failure and Threat symbols, but also includes the powerful Despair symbol. Rolling this icon not only counts as a Failure, but indicates a significant bane or side effect to your action. Your character may fall off the rope they are trying to climb, or run out of ammo in the middle of a gunfight. These effects can drastically impact the course of your game, and make every dice roll an exciting event.

Your dice pool can further be modified by Boost and Setback dice. Boost dice feature Success and Advantage symbols, and are added to your roll when the circumstances around the task you are trying to achieve are beneficial. Maybe your character has hacked a computer like this before, or they have ample time to complete the task; your GM will likely add Boost dice to your pool. Setback dice, on the other hand, feature Failure and Threat symbols, and represent complications to the task at hand. Maybe your character is trying to act in the dark, or they don’t have the resources they need.

With the variance provided by these clever Advantage and Threat icons, the possibilities of results are limited only by you and your GM’s creativity.

More information can be found out about Genesys on the Fantasy Flight Games website.
SaveSave

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Ugh! Trying to explain the subtle yet intricate nuances of the Narrative Dice system in d20 terms seems downright vulgar to me. They are two completely different styles of gaming. Where the d20 mechanics emphasize the statistics and numbers game with a continuous pass/fail result for all task resolutions, the rules for the Narrative Dice are more like loose examples that help interpret the infinite outcomes during play. It takes more than a cursory look and a lot of practice to fully appreciate how great this system can be. Maybe a more talented writer with more time and willingness than I could bother to explain it better.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Still no takers? Alright then. Since I've been thinking on the topic lately, I'll give it another shot while I have some time on my hands. Just keep in mind that this is not a simple process. We are comparing two very different game systems. Since the Genesys rules have yet to be released, I will be referencing the Star Wars RPG from which the new rulebook is directly derived. Before we begin, however, it is important to understand exactly how the two systems work. I'll assume most everyone reading anything on this site is largely familiar with the oldest and most popular RPG system to date, so I will move right into how the narrative dice mechanics of the Genesys/Star Wars systems really work.

At first glance, it seems like there are a lot of symbols and dice involved in the game itself. But if you think of it like the Force, there is a Light side and a Dark side. There are, in fact, only three types of dice and three kinds of symbols, and each has a positive (Light) and negative (Dark) aspect. Let's begin with the symbols first.

Success and Failure are the most straightforward of the symbols. A single Failure symbol will cancel a single Success symbol. If any successes remain, your character will have been successful at whatever task he/she was attempting. You only need one showing to succeed, but if there are any extra, it could mean a greater degree of success depending on what was being attempted. For example, a character trying to slice into a computer terminal to open a locked door will achieve that goal with at least one Success result from the dice roll. If he scores multiple successes, he could have done it much quicker than anticipated.

Advantages and Threats are where things get a little more tricky and, consequently, harder to grasp. In simplest terms, Advantages and Threats are the unexpected surprises and complications that can arise during any given situation. The actual outcomes can often vary widely from one instance to the next, and therefore, it is very difficult to pin down as consistent game results. The beauty of the system, however, stems from that freedom to create and improvise these unforeseen events on the spot. The rulebooks provide plenty of examples that can be used as a baseline reference for routine outcomes and interpretations of such results. But it is the moments of pure inspiration and surprise when the game really shines.

Going back to our example with the slicer above, let us suppose while he succeeds in opening the door in record time, we see that he also manages to scores two Threats on his roll. While this does not affect the outcome that he is able to open the door for his friends, it does invoke some complication. Going by the examples in the book, we could decide that the pressure of the task inflicted two points of Strain on the character. Reasonable, but not terribly exciting. Or perhaps opening the door triggered an alarm and alerting security forces who are now on their way. Certainly reasonable, definitely a threat. And more interesting.

That leaves only Triumph and Despair, which are the rarest and most powerful symbols in the game. In essence, they are a combination of their lesser counterparts. Each respectively adds either a Success or Failure to the result, which can be cancelled by an opposing Failure / Success. They also offer a significant Advantage or Threat that cannot be cancelled by any means. It is possible to score simultaneous Triumph and Despair results on the same roll, which can make for a very interesting outcome.

Back to our slicer who succeeded in opening the door, let's say one of those Threats was actually a Despair. What could be worse than setting off the alarm? How about finding an unsuspecting squad of stormtroopers on the other side of that door? It doesn't matter if it was predetermined that there would be stormtroopers in that room or not. The dice will allow you take liberty with the narrative in order tell a better story as it is happening.

Now, without getting into the specifics of the dice and what they represent, let it suffice to know that each die used is tied directly to an aspect or skill of a character, as well as the environment and circumstances of what is taking place in the game as it happens. In other words, each die used in a particular instance is justifiable. Furthermore, the results of any dice pool represents the widest range of probable outcomes from a large variety of influences and factors within the game at any given moment, including the Force. For the sake of brevity and a quicker understanding, allow me to continue using the same slicer example above to illustrate.

Our slicer character is attempting to slice past the locked down security terminal. His Computer skill is 2, and his Intellect is 3. His Intellect is higher, so the player begins by adding three Ability dice (three green 8-sided dice) to his dice pool. His Computer skill is lower, so he upgrades that many dice (two) into Proficiency dice (two yellow 12-sided dice). To attempt this action, the character starts the pool with three dice: one Ability die and two Proficiency dice).

The GM determines that the difficulty of slicing the door during lock down will be a Hard task, so he adds three Difficulty dice (purple 8-sided dice) to the pool. He then invokes a Dark Side (Force) point to upgrade the difficulty of one of the Difficulty dice into a Challenge dice (red 12-sided die). He flips the Force token over to signify his intent, which turns the Dark point into a Light point that is usable by the players.

The player remembers that his character has a portable data pad which gives him a Boost die (blue 6-sided) when it can be useful during Computer skill checks. The GM agrees under the circumstances and the die is added. Now the dice pool is complete and ready to roll. In this instance, the pool consists of seven dice: 1 Ability, 2 Proficiency, 1 Boost, 2 Difficulty, and 1 Challenge. Another time, the same character could be attempting the same check under different circumstances with a different set of dice in the dice pool. And the results, as discussed before, can vary greatly even with the same symbols shown.

While the example above may not entirely make sense for those who aren't more familiar with the game, it should offer some insight on how the dice are utilized as part of the game itself. It is a versatile, flexible, and elegant system. But it does take some degree of practice in order to achieve any level of mastery. Thus, it is not a game for everyone. That's why we have different game systems. And thankfully, they are very different. Let's keep 'em that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

reelo

Hero
I, for one, am looking forward to this system. I've been wanting to play a game in a (homebrew) medieval low-fantasy setting, and I fear that simply removing all arcane casters from D&D will yield unsatisfactory results. Arcane magic is too much baked into the core of that game. AIME looks to be more like what I was thinking, but then Middle-Eath is too baked into that game. I was thinking something like Hârn, but I don't like the specifics of that setting.
I could reasonably come up with a world of.my own, bit then I'd need a system that fully meshes with that world. Hopefully GENESYS ill be that system.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using EN World mobile app

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I, for one, am looking forward to this system. I've been wanting to play a game in a (homebrew) medieval low-fantasy setting, and I fear that simply removing all arcane casters from D&D will yield unsatisfactory results. Arcane magic is too much baked into the core of that game. AIME looks to be more like what I was thinking, but then Middle-Eath is too baked into that game. I was thinking something like Hârn, but I don't like the specifics of that setting.
I could reasonably come up with a world of.my own, bit then I'd need a system that fully meshes with that world. Hopefully GENESYS ill be that system.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using EN World mobile app
Could try Savage Worlds too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases