D&D 3E/3.5 Scientific names

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, we started using “Macrobia” for oozes, but even among oozes, Green Slime is different. Less mobile. Not as obviously something like a supersized amoeba. A SERIOUS scientist might argue its relation with other oozes is an example of convergent evolution.

Still, I think it fits well enough that I’m not going to “overrule” the designers. So, Macrobia stays.

Macrobia Primordialis?

Skull snakes I don’t know. Tell me more.

abe ray

Explorer
Rock pudding is the missing link between mimics and deadly puddings, they look like rocks but can extend tendrils, macrobia rockia?
Skull spiders like to hide in skulls like hermit crabs, spidra hermatas?
Grimlocks-homo noseeus? I don’t remember if we did this one already.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Skull snakes are the missing link between snakes and nagas basically. They look like snakes with skull like hoods.

There are many snake genera to choose from:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snake_genera

I would look at the critter entry and try to see which kind it most resembles. You say it’s hooded? Well, cobras are Elapidae, so that’s a strong contender. If Skull snakes are not venomous, but have other abilities that make them dangerous, perhaps Pseudoelapidae would work better. Then add something referring to the skull-like head, like cranium (skull) or osseus (bone).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Rock pudding is the missing link between mimics and deadly puddings, they look like rocks but can extend tendrils, macrobia rockia?
Petra is Greek for rock, so perhaps Macrobia Pseudopetra?
Skull spiders like to hide in skulls like hermit crabs, spidra hermatas?
Those are kind of like tarantulas in size, right? There are dozens of genera for those, too. Pick one for the genus and use “cranium “ for the species.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula
Grimlocks-homo noseeus? I don’t remember if we did this one already.
As I recall, Grimlock are descended from humans, so Homo is perfect! Tenebrae for darkness and Pravum or Conruptus for degenerate or corrupted...

Homo tenebraepravum

abe ray

Explorer
Mongarlman-homo muckyus? They are a strange mixture of all sort species, including humans!
Snahagun(I think that’s how you spell the common name) fishus sharkus (they have a strange connection to sharks)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Magimixtus Erectus (magically mixed upright standing) for Mongrelfolk.

Sahaugin could be...Sphyraena bipes- two-legged barracuda.

abe ray

Explorer
Reselant cloaker-cloakerus healius,it feeds on wounds and leaves healed beings/people in its wake!
Beastman-homo beastius? Basically it’s a furry wild man that’s low on ANY magic whatsoever.

abe ray

Explorer
The resalent cloaker looks like a regular cloaker, otherwise it’s as described
The beastman is a fuzzy non-magical version of a human that lives in the wild (willingly) and doesn’t believe in anything that it can’t see,hear or otherwise sense via its natural abilities. It also has natural camaflouge via its fur.

Remove ads