Hewanharimau and the Sacrament

Elfshire

First Post
My group's just finished their second session in Chapter 8, Diaspora. This point hasn't come up at the table, but it's something I wondered about: is there any connection to the ancient story of Hewanharimau and the Demonocracy's Sacrament of Apotheosis?

I mean, a god appears in the mortal realm, is slain, and today has almost zero followers. Sounds a lot like what happened to Srasama.

SanjMerchant

Explorer
Myabe I'm missing it, but I can't find where it says Hewanharimau is supposed to have died. Best I can read, he was turned into a Rakshasa by the other deities and run out of... whatever the Seedism equivalent of Asgard/Mount Olympus/etc is. But when your back is against the wall and the annihilation of your people is looking like a disturbingly real possibility, the once vilified God of Savagery can, I'm sure, start to look a lot more appealing.

Elfshire

First Post
Myabe I'm missing it, but I can't find where it says Hewanharimau is supposed to have died.

p.161 of the 4e Act 2 compilation, in the 'Holy artifacts' sidebar:

The arsenal of Dhebisu, by contrast, enrages Betronga Sidhon and his weretigers, who recognize it as the weapon that defeated their god. The PCs would be wise to keep it hidden unless they want to provoke a fight.

...Okay, so technically that one just says "defeated." But read p.46 of the 4e Act 1 Compilation (or p.44 if you just have the standalone Player's Guide), in the 'The Arsenal of Dhebisu' sidebar:

They battled through the night, until finally, the rakshasa tried to slay her with a poisoned arrow. But Dhebisu snatched the bolt and plunged it into the fiend’s loins, destroying it so that it could never reincarnate.

That seems pretty definite that Hewanharimau is dead--unless of course the legend is just, you know, wrong. In any case, I suppose being run out of the pantheon by his fellow gods would be a pretty compelling reason to show up in the mortal world, though I do wonder if his death had a similar (if smaller) effect as Srasama's. Or maybe turning into a rakshasa first meant he was no longer a god?

Remove ads