Finders Keepers

ChrissyB

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Finders Keepers

First things first: I was a member of a group testing a preliminary version of this adventure. For some of you, it will mean my opinion is biased, while others appreciate the actual hand-on/playthrough experience.
In short: there aren't many adventures for 5ed DnD and I think Janek is right when he asks the questions you can see in the blurb above. It's a very good point - a lot of groups, maybe even a majority, never get to test the full power of the fully operational battle PCs. And now you have this adventure, with a pack of pregen PCs, so it's even easier to try out the experience. So yeah, put aside your regular game, go crazy rolling 20th level PCs and give it a try.
The story and writing (as I come to expect from Janek) are both very good, although it's nothing overly complex - the author even states that he just wants to give PCs meaningful opportunity to fight high CR beasties. I'll insert the synopsis below, so beware of spoilers! Art is nice (I love Bosch on the cover, very thematic), there is a great full-page piece inside, and 3 excellent maps that can be use in other games (provided in DM/player, grid/no-grid versions). It's actually worth spending the money for the maps alone.
The best part? The demi-plane of a dead God. I see Janek's Numenera experience translated very well into a more typical fantasy setting. This whole chapter has a strong Planescape vibe.
As I said, I played this adventure it its first version, and I see, and appreciate, how much Janek added to it, what he cut out or polished. A lot of work went into that module. It's worth getting, and convincing your GM to let you play it. For once, feel the power of 20th level PCs! And I can tell - it's a great feeling.
[Spoilers - the Synopsis]
Finders Keepers is divided into three parts. In Chapter 1 the PCs arrive at the city of Phlan, only to learn that it is about to be attacked by a giant red dragon. An epic battle ensues
and when the dragon is dead, the PCs have to race to the beast’s lair, beat its defences and finally encounter Mela, the hag who has been pulling the strings from the shadows, and
a cadre of Yugoloth devils. Another fight ensues, and when Mela is brought down she begs for her life and reveals the nature of her quest – acquiring theBook of Keepers.

In Chapter 2 the PCs travel to a pocket dimension where the slain body of Valigan Thirdborn, a long forgotten deity of anarchy, is located and visit the strange settlement that arose around the god’s arrowpierced head. To find the book they must successfully navigate the dead god’s dreams and nightmares. Once they doso, the god’s body awakens, andthe Yugoloth and other parties
interested in obtaining the book arrive. The PCs will have to fight for their lives, get the book and escape, with the help from Talanthiel’s envoys.
The final chapter of the adventure takes place in the solar’s palacefortress. While a Yugoloth army storms its defences, Talanthiel’s plan is revealed and the PCs have to decide the book’s fate.

EDIT:
The author recently added a long bonus text describing how the adventure was made. It contains HEAPS of useful information if you wonder how an indie product like that comes to life.

Last edited:

Colin Wilson

Villager

This is a really niche product: an epic-tier, one-shot adventure set in Forgotten Realms. Any part of that might turn some potential DMs off and you’re the final decision-maker for what you’re going to run. In the end, though, this is a solid adventure that really nails its narrow focus well. This means that you can take this impressive starting-point and massage it into an ongoing campaign, change details to move it to another setting, or just mine it for interesting and new ideas. I highly recommend this adventure and the great advice section that goes with it.

Radnon

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Finders Keepers

Concluding my assesment of Finders Keepers, i can honestly say that despite some minor shortcomings, it is a very good adventure. Climatic, diverse, with interesting history and a sense of participation in a truly epic events. If someone looks for the scenario that allows him to test the abilites of developed fifth edition characters or does not have the idea for the epic end of a campaign, Finders Keepers is a great choice.

Full review (in polish) on dnd.polter.pl.

Last edited:

biotech66

Explorer

Ring Side Report- RPG Review of Finders Keepers

Originally posted at www.throatpunchgames.com, a new idea everyday!

Product- Finders Keepers

System-Dungeons and Dragons 5th Ed.

Producer- Janek Sielicki

Price- $3.95 here http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215482/Finders-Keepers

TL; DR-The Great and the Mixed of the DMs Guild 93%

Basics-Need a 20th level adventure in a hurry? Here you go! Finders Keepers is a 20th level adventure set in the Forgotten Realms, but easily ported to any place. Players start in town, but soon enough a rampaging dragon attacks the land. Players then have to save the town, and perusing the dragons leads down a rabbit hole of dead gods, hidden powers, and words that can literally destroy the world!

Mechanics or Crunch-This book is fine, completely fine, but that's the one problem with the book the author can’t fix. The monsters are all directly from the Monster Manual, the items from the DMG, and traps come from there as well. That all works well, but if things are just exactly what you’ve seen before, it's a tad bland. But, the way the DMs Guild and the AL runs, writers can’t change that fact. That little bit hurts the book a bit, but honestly as constrained by the rules as this book is, the mechanics work. What's here is good and runs well, but I would like the author to do a bit more, even though I know he can’t. 4.25/5

Theme or Fluff- This is an awesome story! We get dead gods, demons, devils, entering alternative worlds, and a goal off saving everything. The author can’t write new mechanics, but he CAN write a crazy new story! I love what’s here! It might not be completely the most original as I’ve seen tiny bits of other things, but I’m happy to see all the pieces come back together in a great new way. 4.75/5

Execution- Hay, this book made me change my opinion of how books are put together. This is one guy at a computer putting out fantastic materials. There is art to break up text, there is the standard template to break up text, and there is formatting that works welo. What I have here that puts it over the top is hyperlinking to pages, maps that the GM can copy/past into any software, and a new art that is made just for this material and handouts. This caught me off guard. WHY ARE OTHER BOOKS NOT DOING THIS? This is a less than 100 page adventure, and honestly, it doesn’t need hyperlinking, but the addition makes my life a little bit easier. Also, not many groups make it to 20, so this book comes with pre-generated characters with and without items to make the plug and play that much easier for any group. More books need to do that, and adding this and other little parts makes me honestly love what’s here. 5/5

Summary- This is a fantastic adventure constrained slightly by the DMs Guild. The book itself is put together amazingly well! As I read more and more books on my tablets and phones, simple things like hyperlinking make my life that much more simple! The store is great. It’s got a few elements that you may have seen before but it's not a ripoff of any story, and it’s told well. The mechanics are the low point, but that’s a bit harsh. It’s far from bad in any way, but it’s limiting for the author as you can’t build new material as often. Overall, I found this to be a solid adventure that you can plug and play into any FR game with ease that is well put together. 93%

Daniel Yocom1

First Post

An adventure that is written with the idea of giving players a chance at playing a 20th level character. And, it delivers.

This adventure creates an epic level setting in 5th edition for players who haven't (or have) played a high level campaign before. It has what is needed to create a standalone adventure, or you can insert it into an existing campaign, or you can start a new campaign with it.

Great job on this.

DM_Dango

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Finders Keepers

You can find my full review on my channel, but I will say here is that Finders Keepers is one of only a few 20th level adventurers. Part of the reason for this is both the epic nature, scope and all the powers present that both the players and dungeon master wields. It can be very easy to either underwhelm your players or utterly destroy them. Finders Keepers manages this balance well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases