D&D 3E/3.5 D&D 3.5 Cities and Towns Question

Water Bob

Adventurer
As most of you know, I run a game using the Mongoose Conan RPG rules--a game based on, but much different than, D&D 3.5.

Cities in the supplements are described using these descriptors:

Population
Size

Average Population Density
Average Number of Structures

Wealth Limit
Ready Cash

Government
Income for the Duke or King

Religion
Imports
Exports

Code of Honor

That last one, Code of Honor, is a Conan stat. I know what that is. I see some of the stats in the 3.5 DMG. But, I don't see all of them. Maybe I need to look more closely.

Where do I find the main rules for cities and towns in D&D 3.5E? Is there a supplement that I need to get? I looked at the Cityscape, but that doesn't seem to be the source material for the descriptors that I list above.

Where do I find this stuff?

Nagol

Unimportant
DMG pg 137 has the rules for generating settlements.

I do not recall ever seeing the average population density and average number of buildings ratings.

Nagol

Unimportant
DMG pg 137 has the rules for generating settlements.

I do not recall ever seeing the average population density and average number of buildings ratings. Income, religion, imports and exports are pretty much assigned at whim.

Water Bob

Adventurer
An entry for Average Population Density might read: 132 adults per acre.

An entry for Average Number of Structures might read: Approx. 2645 structures total.

So, those entries look like they were taken off a table someplace.

And, I don't see a definition of how to use the Wealth Limit and the Ready Cash entry on page 137 of the DMG.

These might read--

Wealth Limit: 30,000 silver coins

Ready Cash: 4,500,000 silver coins.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
Wealth limit and ready cash are discussed in the right column on pg 137. Take half the gp limit multiplied by one tenth the population (or more simply pop * gp limit / 20 ). D&D treats the two values the same; for some reason the amount of saleable goods exactly equals the amount of ready cash in the community. The gp limit puts a maximum on the most expensive item that can be bought at the community.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You may (or may not) find useful stuff in the 3.x DMGs.
Power of Faerun also might be helpful.

But none of these, IIRC, address those stats directly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases