New Player Paladin Optimization Advice

Ovarwa

Explorer
The place where you need to sacrifice your CHR for CON is if you want to take a lot of concentration spells (besides Smites, they get used same turn in most cases).
Not even there: Come level 6, you get to add both cha and con for your con saves. And you add your cha to the wizard's saving throw too, so he can also concentrate.

Kithas

First Post
The numbers that con adds at lower levels are naturally lower but the %age of your health is the same. Just like health scales over time, the damage you take will scale over time too. An extra 15 health by level 5(12con vs 18 con, or 14con and tough) may not seem like much but that's likely 2-3 full attacks from the monsters you're fighting. That's a lot.
As far as I can tell the benefits for paladins from charisma are that if your are real close you can add it to your saves, spell save dcs, and some channel divinities. A +2 is plenty good for that until mid-late game imo :/
As for twf vs Polearms;
Polearms are a great option but really only shine if you have the feat, so any time before that and they are just ok. It leaves you with an even lower ac vs using a shield because unlike twf, the feat doesn't add ac so your max is 19 with plate instead of 20, not huge but it's there. With the feat your damage is exactly the same on average with the polearm. Assuming all 3 attacks hit at level 11(18 str, with divine favor);
Polearm
(1d10+1d8+1d4+4)*2=33avg
1d8+2d4+4=13.5avg
total=46.5avg
TWF
(2d8+1d4+4)*3=46.5
So really the downside to twf is that you need to dip into fighter. And the downsides to polearm is that it limits your weapon choice considerably(from any 1h weapon to 3 specific ones), and lowers your ac by up to 2(1 if you take defensive or dip into fighter). Personally I think twf wins this as magical 1h weapons are, by the tables in the dmg, more common than polearms. And some of the spiciest ones aren't even available as polearms(Flametongue, Vorpal, etc.)

12 CON is a little low for a Paladin but not unplayable. 14 is typically where I like to be and I've never felt like I need it any higher than that.

CHA is definitely more important. Higher spell and Channel Divinity DCs and saves are often much more lifesaving than a few hit points. If you need HPs that bad, cast Aid at the start of the day. Or take the Inspiring Leader feat, which is a good choice, anyway,

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The numbers that con adds at lower levels are naturally lower but the %age of your health is the same.

Actually, low levels are the place this is not true because you get max HPs at 1st level. At the higher levels it's true, but at the lower levels CON adds less both in absolute terms adn in percentage terms.

As far as I can tell the benefits for paladins from charisma are that if your are real close you can add it to your saves, spell save dcs, and some channel divinities. A +2 is plenty good for that until mid-late game imo :/

A more complete list would be: adds to more skills then CON, adds to spells DCs (good for Smite riders), adds to all of your own saves (not just your CON save), can add to all your allies saves if they are close, adds to a number of channel divinities (Sacred weapon +CHR to hit & damage, Turn the Unholy, Nature's Wrath, Turn the Faithless, Abjure Enemy save DCs).

I can't even picture how +1 HP per level at low levels can keep up with +1 extra to all the other saves, much less the rest of the list.

As for twf vs Polearms;
So really the downside to twf is that you need to dip into fighter.

And that you need multiple magic weapons when they start coming out. And that you don't have reach. And that it doesn't give you extra ways to trigger a reaction attack. And your opportunity attacks do less damage.

But most importantly that the OP was asking about a specific tank build and Polearm Master helps with that. Remember, we're not talking generic paladin advice, take that to the paladin guide threat. We're helping the OP with his request.

Remove ads