creative exercise (worldbuilding?)

alsih2o

First Post
my wife and i are looking at replacing our wedding rings and when looking for a shop she found a "Salpy Yacoubian Jewelers" here in memphis.

we joked that it was definetely an npc sounding shop and that i would have to add just such a place in my world.

where are you, and what near you sounds like or has the ambience of a game spot.

and yes, i fully expect the non-americans of the board to rule at this, but still, everyone must ahve something around..

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
In Florida, we passed a trailer-sized shop named "The Kissin' Cousins Bridal Boutique."

Maybe it could be owned by gnomes, I don't know... but it's just wrong. :D

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Let's see... we have a bar named Boneshakers, could be a good hangout for necros. Weaver D's might specialize in robes and magical clothing. Just a short drive out of town is Shaking Rock. And of course there's the Tree That Owns Itself.

Utrecht

First Post
I think that you will find that small town America will be very good for this.

For example - in my dad's hometown of Oxford, Nebraska (population @1500) the main resteraunt is the Muleskinner..... I envision it be catering to a bunch of 1/2 orcs at a trading post.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
My town isn't well suited for this. But I've always thought that the Arlington Cemetary near the Pentagon would make a great first stop for a d20 Modern necromancer.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
South of the Border - on the line between North and south Carolina. Use to be cheap Mexican theme rest stop, now a lot more but in the 60s we had so much fun riding those burros. :)

Use to see those places a lot, reptile farms, petting zoos. Always thought they would be interesting in a game. :)

dave_o

Explorer
There are a few rad places around here, but I wish that I had caught this thread around 10 months from now, when I'm living in San Diego. :D

• Mammoth Cave. It's a giant cave complex, that's incredibly creepy to be inside. I think, though I'm not sure, that it was an inspiration for an H. P. Lovecraft story.
  • More locally, around five miles from where my house actually stands, is an acclaimed demonic altar. It's an altar built with rocks, with several rocks around it - all conspicuiously stained.
  • Even closer, in the woods near my home, is a family grave. It's a fenced in gravesite with three gravestones - one for a doctor, one for a young lady, and one for a baby. All died of TB. Strangely, there are TONS of deer tracks around it, as if they gather there.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Gnarlo said:
Let's see... we have a bar named Boneshakers, could be a good hangout for necros. Weaver D's might specialize in robes and magical clothing. Just a short drive out of town is Shaking Rock. And of course there's the Tree That Owns Itself.

Some great places around Athens, Ga. I am up the road from you, in Snellville, and spent 8 years in school in Athens. Weaver D's robes and magical clothing would have to somehow be "automatic for the people." You left out the Junkman's Daughter, an eclectic store in any setting.

Closer to home, we have Five Forks Trickum Road (a good name for a winding, difficult to follow trail?) and of course the matter-of-factly-named Stone Mountain.

Bloodstone Mage

First Post
There's a bar in the same city block of my LGS. It's called Bash Riprock's, which sounds a lot like a place that could be found in a D&D world.
As for spots that could be used for a modern adventure, Texas Tech University is full of places. There are underground passages that are just pleading to be used for an adventure. And if you're running a ghost-related adventure, the places are even more interesting...

Cheers!

Stone Mountain near Atlanta has always struck me as screaming for a d20 Modern game...I mean...its a big mountain...with NOTHING else around it. Conspiracy!!! :)
Sadly there's not really much else I can think of in this area...

Remove ads