D&D 5E Do you miss attribute minimums/maximums?

Sacrosanct

Legend
There are only a few times I think gender differences actually matter: who you're having sex with, sports competitions, medical issues, and probably some bona fide occupations.

What you put on your driver's license, or online FB profile? RPG games of all things? Who cares. Doesn't impact anyone else. It's just a label.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The only thing that matters is how fast it's going, which is a direct function of how much force was imparted by the thrower, and this statistical model - this reflection of the underlying reality - is saying that the halfling imparts more force than the ogre.

It's saying that *this* halfling is imparting more strength than an ogre, sure. So, he's a super-strong halfling. It's not saying all halflings are stronger than all ogres. PCs are the heroes, not the general population.

It's saying that *this* halfling is imparting more strength than an ogre, sure. So, he's a super-strong halfling. It's not saying all halflings are stronger than all ogres. PCs are the heroes, not the general population.
Halflings with Strength 20 impart more force to their thrown stones than ogres with Strength 19. Such strong halflings are pretty rare and probably have some adventuring experience, so they are far more likely to be a hero rather than just some random dirt farmer, but there's no way to tell whether a given halfling with Strength 20 is a PC or an NPC just by looking at them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Halflings with Strength 20 impart more force to their thrown stones than ogres with Strength 19. Such strong halflings are pretty rare and probably have some adventuring experience, so they are far more likely to be a hero rather than just some random dirt farmer, but there's no way to tell whether a given halfling with Strength 20 is a PC or an NPC just by looking at them.

You’ve lost me. So?

I’m confused.

You’ve lost me. So?

I’m confused.
Earlier in the thread, someone was suggesting that PCs might be able to break racial limits, while NPCs could still be constrained by racial stat penalties. As though you could solve the problem of some halflings being stronger than ogres by simply not assigning high Strength scores to halfling NPCs, and declaring that PCs were special exceptions to which racial penalties didn't apply; which couldn't possibly be true, because we know that PCs and NPCs use the same rules for generating stats.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Earlier in the thread, someone was suggesting that PCs might be able to break racial limits, while NPCs could still be constrained by racial stat penalties. As though you could solve the problem of some halflings being stronger than ogres by simply not assigning high Strength scores to halfling NPCs, and declaring that PCs were special exceptions to which racial penalties didn't apply; which couldn't possibly be true, because we know that PCs and NPCs use the same rules for generating stats.

What do you mean? NPCs have whatever stats the GM gives them.

Arilyn

Hero

Yep. This makes me think of 13th Age's attitude toward small races and weapons. "They can wield what they want, because that's how we roll." Who are we to question Big DamnHeroes?

Anakzar

First Post
IF I was to impose a STR penalty to Female humans, I would also impose a bonus to either dex or con to match. So lets say -2 str and then players choice of either +2 dex or +2 con or +1 dex and +1 con.

I would also like to see in PC descriptions an actual physical size relating to attributes. IE a str PC should be larger than a weaker one but have not enforced anything like that.

Other races I might have equal stats for dwarves while it might be fun to make half-orc females the stronger ones.

Just an idea to think about I have never imposed any gender penalties, the few women that played in my campaigns never played humans anyhow. 6 elves, 2 dwarves and one half-orc. And not all of them played female PCs... for that matter not all the male players played male PCs either.

Remove ads