do you thee and thou and whence?

Do you speak anachronistically in character?

• we thee and thou and whence

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • we do somtimes, but slip out of it during (please explain)

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • no, we talk like normal folks.

Votes: 119 85.0%

alsih2o

First Post
do you speak like modern, normal people during your fantasy game or do you get wholly anachronistic with your language?

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I occasionally throw in terms of the period, but thees and thous are right out, mainly because it conjures images of those annoying people at ren fairs who adopt horribly fake English accents.

Zappo

Explorer
Nah. Normal talk here. 99% of fantasy literature uses modern language anyway, and I'm playing fantasy, not medieval. :)

Nah. Common isn't English anyway, so if you assume you're just translating, might as well translate into modern English, not archaic. ;)

That, and it's just really hard to take seriously. I think I've done the "thee/thou" think maybe twice in all my years of gaming, and that was for a character or a document that was, itself, archaic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We've got some interesting language conventions here...

Most of my gamers only know one language. The characters, however, are frequently multi-lingual. Whatever is one to do?

Well, we generally use "Common = modern english without technological references"

For other languages, we then prefix a code-word to denote the language used. We've got Agruk (dwarven), Ishcabibble (elven), Farfegnugen (gnomish), Go'Cha! (orcish), and so on. So, if a character wanted to insult you in dwarven, the player might say, "Agruk: Your mother has the cooking-skill of a doorknob."

Then, on top of that, I'll tend to use archaic English (with thees, thous, and forsooths) to represent a character speaking in somewhat archaic fashion. Frequently, a character speaking inother than his native tongue gets teh archaic treatment. An elf speaking in common, or a dwarf speaking in gnomish, will tend to throw in the older words...

De Arco

First Post
We speak in our regular english most of the time. However, as a DM, I will occasionally speak in old english to indicate something that is from an ancient age.

Remove ads