Encounters with the Supernatural

hellbender

First Post
dave_o said:
So, I tried the I-Ching diagram, and this is what I saw:

I walked toward a white, marble door with the 49th hexagram etched into it in black. There were marble columns extending to either side, and though I couldn't see the sky - I knew it was incredbily blue. I reached out, and took the iron ring in the door in my hand, to open it. And inside was just vast, endless, white and gold light.

So what's that mean? :D

Sounds like a very positive experience. Did you plunge inside? See if there was anything in deep? Sometimes the vastness is a screen. Did anything seem Greek or Roman in architecture?

hell bender

dave_o

Explorer
hellbender said:

Sounds like a very positive experience. Did you plunge inside? See if there was anything in deep? Sometimes the vastness is a screen. Did anything seem Greek or Roman in architecture?

hell bender

The columns were markedly Corinthian, so I'm guessing Roman in nature. I got the distinct impression that this place was sort of set away from civilization, maybe an isolated temple or something. I walked inside, the vastness was sort of dualistic - cold and warm, wet and dry, it was strange - but I enjoyed it. :D

As a note, I'm, as far as religion goes, Taoist.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Bob5th said:
Well talking about dolls the room I'm in now has about 40 dolls hanging all over the walls it's kinda of creepy actually. Which is why I don't sleep in here.

Is it the porch in House of 1000 Corpses? The movie sucked, but that porch creeped me out.

hellbender

First Post
Bjorn Doneerson said:
Are there any web sites about this I ching thing, and people's experiences? I tried to google it, but didn't have any luck.

As far as I know, there aren't any websites regarding the I-Ching being used this way. I do not know if other hexagrams have the same effect as I only try #49. But if enough people try it and get back to me, I could cobble something together. I don't want to hijack this thread with this one thing too much as it is a great thread as is.

h e double hockeysticks bender

hellbender

First Post
dave_o said:

The columns were markedly Corinthian, so I'm guessing Roman in nature. I got the distinct impression that this place was sort of set away from civilization, maybe an isolated temple or something. I walked inside, the vastness was sort of dualistic - cold and warm, wet and dry, it was strange - but I enjoyed it. :D

As a note, I'm, as far as religion goes, Taoist.

Try it all you want and get back to me regarding it if you want to. My girlfriend is a semi-staunch Catholic from Spain and was a strong skeptic before she met me. Now she sees ghosts, understands D&D is really not so bad, and she has tried this I-Ching exercise and has seen herself in another time, walking on cobblestones down to a lake, and she swears it felt as real as if she were there. Like a lucid dream.

benderofhell

Samnell

Explorer
hellbender said:
Try it all you want and get back to me regarding it if you want to. My girlfriend is a semi-staunch Catholic from Spain and was a strong skeptic before she met me. Now she sees ghosts, understands D&D is really not so bad, and she has tried this I-Ching exercise and has seen herself in another time, walking on cobblestones down to a lake, and she swears it felt as real as if she were there. Like a lucid dream.

Didn't do anything for me, and I was hoping for a berserk rage. Quite the let down.

hellbender

First Post
Samnell said:

Didn't do anything for me, and I was hoping for a berserk rage. Quite the let down.

Sorry to hear that :( I have gotten the rage once, and it wasn't all that bad........

Keep trying!
benderofhell

mistergone

First Post
I can't say offhand that I've ever experienced anything out-and-out supernatural or unexplainable. Nothing that I can't chalk up to having bouts of hyper intuition or even just being sort of intuitive or having a very active imagination.

When I was a kid, I was very scared all the time, especially at night, of all the usual kid-stuff, like monsters in the closet and ghosts. I can't remember specifically anything though that ever happened that wasn't just part of a kid's overactive imagination. I think once I sleep-walked and tried to pee in the kitchen garbage can. What unholy force compelled me to do this, I cannot say for sure. These days, I still get jumpy but I like the night time and I'm pretty sure I'm the scariest thing in the dark. ;)

My ouija board dabbling never produced anything really cool or scary, except one time my cousins and I got a name or some woman. We also tried to get lotto numbers. The spirits are pretty stingy with that sort of thing... but names? They give out names like candy at Halloween.

I've had some very minor brushes with psychic type phenomena. Like I said, I chalk it up to spurts of intuition. Sometimes I am totally blindsided, however, so I can't say I have any special innate sense. But there was the time I was at my aunt's house and her "boyfriend" at the time had sent her a birthday card, and I made some wise crack about him inclosing naked pics of himself with the card. Well, sure enough... but then see, I knew this guy was kinda freaky anyways.

I think a lot of this type of thing is due in part to the power of suggestion, which is very powerful indeed. I had this former roommate/friend who belong to the Berkely Psychic Institue, or similar, which was also a church. He supposedly has all kinds of abilities, and I never really has any reason to doubt him. One time I had a headache and he "cured" it by passing his cupped hands by my head and having me think of something, and indeed the pain melted away, only to come right back when I was surprised that it had worked. He did a few other things, just minor predictions, but nothing super solid that made me think I would see him levitating in the living room or anything. He did have several good stories though.

I really want to believe in a lot of this kind of stuff. Well the good stuff at least. I think I could do without evil entities and black-eyed kids harassing me. I like to think that we have some kind of control over a lot of things that go on around us, sort of a "will to power". Like, for instance, I was chatting with a friend online and she commented she had a headache. So I told her to put her head against her monitor for a couple minutes and I would try to remove the pain. She said she would, and I really did think about her, visualize her, try to see the pain as a cloud, see it lifting out of her, etc... And you know, when it was done she said she did feel better, and strangely, I had a slight headache. I'd like to think the psychic powers were good at more than curing headaches, but I figure, hey, at least it's something. And if that's possible, then who knows?

A lot of it could very well have to do with where you are in your life and what state of mind you are in. I think we can be convinced of certain things and are more susceptible to suggestions when we are particularly emotional. Of course, this doesn't account for all things unusual, but certainly when I've been depressed in the past I was more likely to blame things on mysterious forces than just the usual way of reality.

So I don't know... I really hope and I kinda think there is more to the world than just what we can see with our eyes, but until I experience something really convincing personally, I think I will let a little bit of skepticism be my shield from the unknown.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases