Encounters with the Supernatural

Numion

First Post
Djeta Thernadier said:
my mom slipped while carrying me. I fell from her arms and landed on the sidewalk a few feet away and hit my head.

I think that you've explained the "paranormal" things you experienced later in your life :D

Just kidding.

weiknarf

Explorer
Krieg said:
I'm definitely intrigued by the number of folks who have experienced the "streetlight" phenomenom. I may have to start doing some research into streetlight failure rates...

You could try here or here concerning Street Lamp Interference.

Oh yeah, here's another "eek!".

mistergone

First Post
Not long ago, my girlfriend told me an interesting story. Kind of out of nowhere. She said that since she was 10 or 11, she's had a ghost in her room. Apparently, it's an older man in a suit. People would be afraid to go in her room when she was younger. Her mom has seen him once, and her roommate has seen him a couple times. The ghost doesn't do much, just open doors and turn on and off lights occasionally. But he follows her around. Like, now she's at school and he followed her from home, and I think to the place she lived before where she lives now. She told me that sometimes she almost forgets about him, then in the night when she's trying to fall asleep, she hears her closet door open, and she says "Close it." and it closes. She has no idea who he is or what he is doing exactly, he just seems to be around and watching over her. I told her when she comes here between semesters, he can come too, but he has to stay in the guest room.

This story kind of blew me away because we had only been together a couple weeks when she told me and we really hadn't discussed much about the supernatural, except that I think I cured her headaches a couple times, and she thinks so too, even though we were about 1500 miles apart at the time, but I told her I was going to try it the first time, but the second time I didn't tell her. Both times seemed to work.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Djeta, there was a study done fairly recently about scorpions. Apparently, they can set their stinger on "stun" or "kill" if they desire. I only say this because it may be that the lionfish can do a similar thing - that is, adjust the toxicity of its venom such that you might not have experienced any averse reactions to it.

Just a comment, when you dream, or see something before it happens, that's called "Preja Vu".

On the 3:00 am, or 42 second thing, I have this uncanny ability to always look at the clock at 12:34. AM or PM, doesn't matter. I have a pretty strong biological clock, and if I have to wake up at a certain time in the morning, I can generally do so fairly easily. I'm always waking up like a minute before my alarm goes off.

I've had occasional deja vu, but always of mundane events. My wife has had occurrences of preja vu before, but again always of just mundane events.

The Goblin King

First Post
I WANT to believe. I really do. I once thought I saw a UFO. It turned out to be a blimp. I have had sleep paralysis thing. It freaked me out until I did some reading. Living in Texas the kids talked about a 'ghost wolf' that haunted the reservoir. It was a coyote that had wandered into the city. In school I knew a girl who claimed she was psychic. She could never do anything that couldn't also be a coincedence. She told me how street lights would go out for her, light bulbs would explode, prophetic dreams, deja vu. Oddly, nothing paranormal ever happened when I was around. She came from a bad home and was seriously into doing drugs/alcohol. Haunted places are unusually quiet when I have been ghost hunting.

I'm not a skeptic. As I said I want to believe. But I am either very unlucky or am some kind of anti-supernatural.

Hawkeye

First Post
Lots to tell

At my core, I am a scientist. I have a degree in biology and have spent years working under the scientific method. That being said, I have always had an interest in the paranormal. Unless soemthing has been proven totally 100% impossible or false in a experiment that can be reproduced, a good, responsible scientist has to accept that something is possible. That is how I aproach the paranormal.

Throughout my life I have seen and exerienced many strange and unexplained things. From time to time, I have prophetic dreams. I have experienced ghostly vistiros and I have seen something strange in the sky. Here are a few of my stories.

When I was 12, I was living in New England. I was a big astronomy buff at the time and had a telescope that you could see the rings of Saturn with. I was out, looking at the moon one evening. It was at dusk, since I found looking at the full glare of the moon hurt my eyes. I took a break from looking at the moon and looked West towards the setting sun. South of my position, I noticed 2 silver colored objects in the sky, that appeared to be heading perpendicular to my position. Being an aviation buff too and only a few miles from Peace air force base, I grabbed my relatively low powered binoculars to see what I may be looking at. I manged to get a sharp focus. These objects had no wings, rudder or ailerons (sp?). They just appeared as flat disc. I lost them in the setting sun. At the time I didn't live too far from Exter NH, which was a UFO hotspot for the NE.

I am a Paramedic in RL, working for a National company. We had an operation in Columbia SC. I was a supervisor there. Shortly after we moved there, I would get the distinct impression that I was being watched at night, when I would go out to inspect the ambulances that were parked at night. This didn't happen every night, but often enough. I never felt threatened, but it was spooky as hell. I mentioned it one day to our Human Resources director. She told me that she had the same sensation and that she had seen someone in our office one night when no one was supposed to be there. She had seen a woman one night, but when she went in to drop papers off, there was no one int eh building. Our office had a very open layout, with few places to hide. The guy that I worked with at that service started having nightmares while sleeping in the crew room. I would spend the nights working on paperwork and other duties and hear him thrashing around in his bunk, moaning and sometimes screaming. He would always wake up sweaty. When I asked him about the nightmares, he told me that a woman kept interuppting his dreams and she didn't seem to like him too much. It got the point that he would stay awake for the entire 24 hour shift if need be. I suggested that he sleep in another room. When e did, he was able to sleep through the night. I often slept in my office when the opportunity presented itself. One night, after I had laid down, I could hear the sounds of footsteps walking back and forth walking on the carpet, very rapidly. I looked towards where they were coming from. There wasn't anything there. The hesitated for a second, like someone just realised they were being watched and then the footstepswalked out of the room and faded away. (which reminds me. I set up my video camrea, which has an IR to tape for an entire night in that room, and I still haven't watched that tape.) The spookiest thing involving the haunted station was this: Our work shifts moved from 24 hours to 12 and finally to 8. We were done for the day, my partner had already left. I was the only person in the building. All the paperworks were done and I had secured the building. I went out to my car, which was parked next to the row of ambulances. I got the feeling again that I was being watched. I had gotten used to the feeling, but this was much stronger. I glanced around, but didn't see anything. I sat down at my car and as I started it, I looked at the office through my front windshield. There SHE was!, the distinct figure of a woman, standing at the window looking right at me. She was dressed in 19th century style and had a sad look on her face. I am noramlly a calm rational person, but I am not ashamed to say that I was sacred witless and peeled out of the parking lot and made my way home. It wouldn't be the last time I saw her. Our company no longer has that office. I still need to do some research on that property.

Now for something really spooky:

I have have pre-cognitive dreams all my life. For the most part they are all minor things: Seeing a house I have never been to before I visited there, knowing that a teacher would be passing out a pop quiz. I dreamed of the day I would be presenting my daughter to my family years before I was married and even knew my wife was prenant before she did. Now if I could dream up some lottery numbers it would be great! :p

My daughter was born in December of 2000. I had taken a month off and had just come back to work. (Jan 2001) Our service was getting ready to tansition from 24 hour shifts to 12 hour shifts. It was an unsual night since we had 2 crews on instead of 1. It was the last 24 hour shift. We had been working hard all day and I finally got to lay down and get some sleep at about 4 in the morning. I fell asleep immediately, something unusual for me. I began to have a very vivid dream. In it my Grandfather paid me a visit. We sat and talked for some time. He asked my all sorts of questions about my daughter and being a new Father. He told me how his life was going, lamenting the loss of his driver license, the cold weather (he lived in New England) and felling tired. he also metioned missing my Grandmother, who had died almost 16 years earlier from heart failure, but he knew that he would see her soon. He was 82 years old. It not unexpected to hear people of that age say things like that. Despite his complaints, he appeared full of energy and very animated in our conversation. I told him that I had planned on bringing my daughter up for a visit that summer. He patted me on the shoulder and told me not to worry about that right now and that it wouldn't matter after Feb 12th. Before I could ask him what he meant, he hugged me, told me that he loved me and I woke up with tears in my eyes. I KNEW what the dream meant. Never before had I dreamed anything with a specific date. I debated with telling anyone about the dream. In the end, I didn't and I still don't know why. More than likey, because I had never told anyone about my prior dreams.

On Feb 12th, my Father called to tell me that my Grandfather was in the hospital with pneumonia and that the prognosis wasn't good. I started making plans to go and visit him. My Grandfather died on Feb 22, with my family and my brother's family still a 12 hour drive away. I still lament that I didn't leave sooner to see him and I still despair over my decision not to tell anyone what I had dreamed. In my line of work, I tell people that when its their time to go, there is nothing I nor anyone else can do about it. It doesn't make it easy watching it happen to your family. I still have my dreams, but its back to the not so serious ones.

Hawkeye

frankthedm

First Post
I don't have much in the experiences with supernatural department.

I sometimes get a hint of Deja vu but it is minor.

I did see a bit of what looked like ball lightning over a group of friends when we were talking outside a few years back.

I do have good luck. I ride my bicycle in pitch black nights wearing pitch black and cars barly even come close to hitting me. I only got into D&D in 95 and i have gotten almost all the old D&D books i have wanted by pure luck and low cost. Including original Ravenloft, rahashia, and most 1e hardcovers, inluding Deities and demigods with the cthulhu crew [for free].

Voadam

Legend
frankthedm said:
I don't have much in the experiences with supernatural department.

I sometimes get a hint of Deja vu but it is minor.

I did see a bit of what looked like ball lightning over a group of friends when we were talking outside a few years back.

I do have good luck. I ride my bicycle in pitch black nights wearing pitch black and cars barly even come close to hitting me. I only got into D&D in 95 and i have gotten almost all the old D&D books i have wanted by pure luck and low cost. Including original Ravenloft, rahashia, and most 1e hardcovers, inluding Deities and demigods with the cthulhu crew [for free].

Luck can only be determined looking backwards, you can only say you have been lucky up to now. Past performance of luck has no guarantee on the future. I'd suggest wearing visible clothes when biking on roads in the dark.

Really good score on the Cthulhu DDG, though, that was lucky.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases