Encounters with the Supernatural

Dr. Harry

First Post
Hawkeye said:
At my core, I am a scientist. I have a degree in biology and have spent years working under the scientific method. That being said, I have always had an interest in the paranormal. Unless soemthing has been proven totally 100% impossible or false in a experiment that can be reproduced, a good, responsible scientist has to accept that something is possible. That is how I aproach the paranormal.

I would say that you are making an important mistake in your methodology concerning the naturer of truth. Science does not, and cannot, determine truth; all that can be done is to discuss the level of uncertainty held with a given proposition.

To take this to (perhaps) an extreme as an example, it is not a scientific truth that the Sun will appear to rise in the east tomorrow morning, it is an application of hliocentric theory in which we have a great deal of confidence. Therefore, nothing can ever be proven 100%, or disproven 100% as a matter of science. The question becomes "what level of confidence does this have, and is it enough to choose to consider this as an option?" For example, the idea of a flat Earth is well below the 1% mark (very well below), so I do not even think that that is worth considering. If someone else did consider worth sufficient time to devise a way of testing a flat-Earth model, that would be their lookout. If they claimed to have succeeded, then others in the field would begin to examine their data.

If there is no scientific evidence for a proposition *and* the proposition violates scientific principles that are well-established and fruitful, it ain't science.

I do not hold that every question can be answered scientifically (what makes something esthetically beautiful?), but if a situation can be addressed scientifically, I will need for that to be done before I accept it as part of the world.

An example of a way in which this approach can be short-circuited is by accepting that some circumstance is scientifically impossible, and leaves no evidence, but is held as a miraculous religious event, with the confidence of belief due to an internal emotional experience. This, however, is a very personal decision, the truth of which cannot be conveyed to another person unless that person has enough faith in the speaker for that faith to provide the emotional leap.

I am (in general) enjoying this thread very much, not because I think that anything paranormal in here is real, but because the human reactions, and the understanding of how we process the signals our senses give us in our brain is incredibly fascinating. When I was getting my astronomy degree at Villanova, the local police would route UFO calls to the astronomy department (I don't know if it was because they liked us, or didn't like us) and some of us did our best to help people figure out what they had seen. I'd recommend the books of Phillip Klass to anyone curious about this topic.

I only write now as Hawkeye's comments touch on my profession.

Harry, Ph.D., Physics

Hawkeye

First Post
[/QUOTE]I am (in general) enjoying this thread very much, not because I think that anything paranormal in here is real, but because the human reactions, and the understanding of how we process the signals our senses give us in our brain is incredibly fascinating. When I was getting my astronomy degree at Villanova, the local police would route UFO calls to the astronomy department (I don't know if it was because they liked us, or didn't like us) and some of us did our best to help people figure out what they had seen. I'd recommend the books of Phillip Klass to anyone curious about this topic.

I only write now as Hawkeye's comments touch on my profession.

Harry, Ph.D., Physics[/QUOTE]

Blessed are they that have never seen, but beleive. :p
I don't automatically think that everything I have seen or heard over the years deals with the paranormal. If I see something strange in the night sky, I don't leap to conclusions an immediately thinking its little grey men in a space ship coming to pay us a visit. I look for other logical explanations before saying that there is a good chance that it is some form of UFO. If those don't pan out, then it must be unknown and needs to be investigated. When I found the first cold spot in that former office. I noted the location of all the air conditioning/heating grills. Then I turned off the AC system waited 30 mins and then walked back to the same exact spot and the temp hadn't changed in that spot, though the rest of the building was warm.

I would agree that 99% of the strange stuff in this world has a real world answer, but enough things that don't fit our current understanding of the universe happen on a regular basis, that something is going on. Not everyone who sees a UFO, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster, Ghosts, etc... is lying, hallucinating, being tricked by light or someone else.

Despite all of our scientific knowledge, there is still much about the universe we don't understand. There is much about our planet we don't understand. It is quite possible that we don't have the technology to properly measure such things as Psychic abilites or ghosts. At one time we didn't know about Quasars, Pulsars, Black holes etc.. until we had the right tools to find them. Atoms were a theory before they could be proven. We had to have the right tools to do that. I think we will one day have the proper tools to investigate these phonomena properly and will be able to fit them into our Newtonian/Einsteinian view of the universe. After all, in an infinite universe, isn't anything possible?

BTW: I beleive the Philip Klass was on the government payroll to debunk anything that related to UFOs. The government did this for National Security reasons to keep the public from panicking that there were strange aircraft in USA airspace that the Air Force couldn't account for. This was during the Cold War. It makes sense from that perspective. (And let me tell you some time about my conversations with Kevin J Randle, famed writer of books about the Roswell indicent and a couple of Playboy playmates at a con a few years ago on UFOS. :D) He wasn't for balanced investigations, but outright debunking. If a UFO landed on the Whitehouse lawn, he probably would be among the first to say that it didn't happen.

Hawkeye

simmias

First Post
This thread is starting to get philosophical, a decidedly good thing; I hope this post doesn't destroy that. Like many of you I am skeptical about the existence of a supernatural reality, but perhaps there is more in heaven and earth than is dreamt of in our philosophy (or science). Here are three stories of perhaps five that I could relate for which I have no natural explanation:

1. In 1976 my youngest brother, Justin, was about two years old. He ran very swiftly all over he house, but he fell down a lot. His falls were normally not too painful because we had deep shag carpet (hey, it was the 70s). One day my mother, a cook, my youngest brother and I were in the enormous cafeteria of the boy's home where my parents worked. The floors here were all tile, and there were lots of sharp edges on tables, chairs, and various appliances—a fall here might mean a trip to the hospital. My brother fell down almost immediately, or he began to fall, anyway. He fell forward till his falling body formed about a 15 degree angle with the floor. Then he stood right up. It looked sort of like Frodo falling into the Dead Marshes in The Two Towers, except my brother's forward motion was simply reversed. All present in the cafeteria witnessed the event. My brother had lots of language at two, so when my mother asked him what had happened, he said, "Grandpa caught me," referring to my mother's father who had recently died. My brother was the last of his grandchildren that my grandfather ever knew. To the best of my knowledge, my brother had not ever lied or exaggerated about anything at that age. In fact, he has been morally incapable of the both all his life.

2. One day in the spring of 1974--before the birth of my youngest brother and the death of my grandfather--I was staying with my grandparents while my mother was at work. My grandmother gave me a seed to plant anywhere I liked around the edge of the concrete slab of her carport. I cannot remember the kind of seed that it was--I was only four years old. I dug a little hole with a stick. (In retrospect this hole was way too shallow for anything to ever grow in it.) I made sure that there were no pieces of gravel in the hole, and I carefully placed the seed inside. I then replaced the dirt that I had dug out. I began to tap it down when a plant shot straight up between my fingers. Its leaves opened before my very eyes. I was terrified at first, so I ran into the house to tell my grandmother, who I must report, did not believe my story. When I showed her the plant, she said it MUST have been there all along.

3. On May 26th of this year, my oldest daughter and I drove 14 hours from McAllen, Texas—where I teach philosophy—to Pawhuska, Oklahoma where my brothers live. It was the first time I had gone home without my wife and my youngest daughter. The week was the only week that I had off this summer, so I had to go then. Justin and I had a plan to record an EP together. We had each written two songs. One of mine was about someone run over by a car, and my other was about the how close my brothers and I are. My daughter was technically still in school in McAllen, so my wife called the school and told them a family emergency had arisen. (She didn't have to lie, but she did and did not know why.) I stopped in Norman, Oklahoma, and a friend of mine whom both Justin and I have known since childhood, decided to take off work for a week and go to Pawhuska with us. This was the first time he has ever been able to walk away for a week from the construction company that he owns. We took his motorhome and completed the last 3 hours of the journey. The first night in Pawhuska, one of my musical cousins, who is closest to us of all our cousins, called and agreed to come over the next day to participate in the recording sessions. He had never in the past been able to get together with Justin and I to record.
The following day tragedy struck: Justin was involved in a near fatal car crash on his way to work. (There is a picture on his band's website www.44reasons.com/whatsnew.html.) Many of the medical staff and the wrecker service personnel told us that it was a miracle that Justin survived. I agree with this assessment. Beyond that, the parallels that preceded the crash are just too odd for me to dismiss as mere coincidence. I won't go through them all, but just the fact that all the people closest to Justin were assembled for the first time in a score of years is passing strange. We even had a place to hang out (my friend's motorhome) in the parking lot of the hospital!

I have come to think that many skeptics claim to know more than they actually do. Science is not complete, and it has not yet come to grips with the fact that certain events are unrepeatable. Perhaps it is best not to view such events as supernatural but as unexplained parts of the natural world. I don't think any of these stories necessarily denies the laws of physics in its final form, should such a thing ever be possible or exist. But some of those laws may not yet be known, some of our current laws may need to be modified or abandoned, and perhaps our conception of a physical law is also inadequate in some respects…

Dr. Harry

First Post
Hawkeye said:
Blessed are they that have never seen, but beleive. :p
I don't automatically think that everything I have seen or heard over the years deals with the paranormal. If I see something strange in the night sky, I don't leap to conclusions an immediately thinking its little grey men in a space ship coming to pay us a visit. I look for other logical explanations before saying that there is a good chance that it is some form of UFO. If those don't pan out, then it must be unknown and needs to be investigated.

But "unknown" measn only "unknown at the present moment". To say "I don't know what this is therefore I must accept the possibility that it is something that would go against all previous evidence and require all of our current scientific understanding to be tossed out the window" seems a bit of a leap to me. When weighted in the balance with "... or it could be a natural item that I don't understand" and/or " .. perhaps I/the witness made an error in thinking, or in interpreting the event", I think the choice is obvious.

I would agree that 99% of the strange stuff in this world has a real world answer,...

Ah, so we are only 1% apart! :)

... but enough things that don't fit our current understanding of the universe happen on a regular basis, that something is going on. Not everyone who sees a UFO, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster, Ghosts, etc... is lying, hallucinating, being tricked by light or someone else.

That does not track.

Everyone who sees a UFO sees something in the sky that they do not understand. That does not mean that there is any reasonable chance that it is an alien spacecraft.

This is not a case of probabilities. If 10,000 people roll a 10,000-sided die, there is a 63% chance that someone will roll a one. This does not work for paranormal explanations for experiences, each case must be evaluated separately. If 10,000 people each say they had an experience, and if their prefered explanation for that experience is consodered to be 99.99% likely to be false (I am being quite generous here as to the odds), then the reasonable conclusion is that all of them were mistaken at soe point in their reasoning of processing of sense information.

Despite all of our scientific knowledge, there is still much about the universe we don't understand. There is much about our planet we don't understand.

By the very nature of scientific knowledge, it is impossible to attain all knowledge about the universe. This actually makes me happy. It is not that I think there are "things man was not meant to know", but that we will never reach a point where we are done and where there is nothing left to know. This pusuit has rules, however, and the rules are fairly strict, and it requires a lot of effort to play. Still, this has resulted in vast gains and benefits.

It is quite possible that we don't have the technology to properly measure such things as Psychic abilites or ghosts. At one time we didn't know about Quasars, Pulsars, Black holes etc.. until we had the right tools to find them.

We have sufficient tools to measure the *results* of psychic powers, easily. Such tests have simply never been successful with standard lab protocols in place.

Atoms were a theory before they could be proven.

Atoms are *still* a theory, or rather our current description of atoms is an important and well-tested part of our model of matter.

Theory does not mean guess. A theory is an explantion for observed phenomena; a scientific theory is a natural explanation for an observed phenomenon.

Additionally, nothing - absolutely nothing - in science is "proven", there are scientific theories that have earned more confidence than others, but no amount of confidence allows them to "graduate" from a theory to anything else, as there is no certainty to graduate to.

After all, in an infinite universe, isn't anything possible?

Not necessarily, no. All of the universe that we can observe shows evidence of following the same rules of physics universally. We would need some place that had different rules. Also, the observable universe is vast, but not infinite. Some things are too unlikely to be expected.

I would prefer "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

BTW: I beleive the Philip Klass was on the government payroll to debunk anything that related to UFOs. The government did this for National Security reasons to keep the public from panicking that there were strange aircraft in USA airspace that the Air Force couldn't account for. This was during the Cold War. It makes sense from that perspective. (And let me tell you some time about my conversations with Kevin J Randle, famed writer of books about the Roswell indicent and a couple of Playboy playmates at a con a few years ago on UFOS. :D) He wasn't for balanced investigations, but outright debunking. If a UFO landed on the Whitehouse lawn, he probably would be among the first to say that it didn't happen.

Hawkeye

You can believe what you want, and make whatever personal insinuations about him that you want, but that does not affect at all the strength of his reasoning. A much better source for exposing Randle's sloppy, sensationalistic approach would be Kal Korff's book "The Roswell UFO Crash"

Also, during the Cold War, the USSR did commonly use aircraft to test US air defense, flying at US territory until discovered and ordered out. Some of these flights got embarrasingly deep; it would be in the US government's best interests to have these seen as "UFO's - mebbe aliens" than air defense holes. In fact, some of the most famous UFO cases were Soviet planes. (I can only assume the US was doing the same thing.)

Please examine this page for the largest scientific study on UFO's:

http://ncas.sawco.com/condon/index.html

simmias said:
...from McAllen, Texas—where I teach philosophy...

Hey, I'm a physics professor in Kingsville.

I have come to think that many skeptics claim to know more than they actually do. Science is not complete, and it has not yet come to grips with the fact that certain events are unrepeatable. Perhaps it is best not to view such events as supernatural but as unexplained parts of the natural world.

As to your first sentence, skeptics are human too, but it is test is in the argument and evidence, not the person.

As to your second sentence, please refer back to comments on the limits of the scientific method of my previous posts.

As to your third sentence, that should leave those events as accessible to science. So far, there has not been an event that has passed that muster.

In all this, I would not choose to address individual stories, especially those who say that the internal support for their stories is rooted in their religion. I do have a backgroundin astronomy and observational astronomy, so I'd be willing to help people curious about UFO they have seen - if and only if they were interested.

Dr. Harry

First Post
Playing Fair

Since I was posting on this thread, I thought it only fair to have one post on the original topic.

1) Hypnogogic paralysis

I have had one instance of waking up before my brain released control of my sleeping body back to me. I was in my teens, and my family was renting a cabin in the Rickett's Glen (sp?) State Park near Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania. Since the night was *completely* black, I didn't have any visual input, so I don't know if my brain would have constructed any gray men. I was quite alarmed at not being able to do anything, but eventually I got my body back.

2) A UFO story

I was driving back to the college I got my Master's degree at in Melbourne, Florida, and I had driven all night. As I approached the coast (if you are unfamiliar with the Atlantic coast side of Florida, civilation ends abruptly at I-95, a couple miles from the coast), I saw strange glowing objects ahead of me. (It was about 6 A.M.) They were reasonably large in angular size, glowed orange, and appeared to be two glowing pyramids.
Since I had had my BS in Astronomy for a couple years at this point, and helped to explain UFO's, I was a bit peeved at myself for not working out whatever this was. Still, I could not explain what I was seeing.
I actually parked the car, and waited, staring at the object for several minutes until some clouds (invisible in the weak pre-dawn twilight) moved, allowing me to see the rest of the rising crescent Moon. The cloud had blocked the lower, center portion, leaving only the cusps visible. It is VERY easy to mistake celestial phenomena.

Hypnogogic paralysis

Speaking of which, does anyone know why hypnogogic paralysis causes you to see "shadow people"? And why everyone who experiences hypnogogic paralysis does not see them, or see the same or simular number of them, or see them doing the same things in the same way?

*Scary thought*

What if hypnogogic paralysis just allows us to see what's already there, but that we cannot normally see because we're awake? From what I understand, while in the hypnogogic paralysis state, our brains are not all awake... thus, the part that normally blocks us from seeing the "shadow people" is asleep... or, the part that allows us to see them is awake when normally it is asleep?

Wow, I knew I shouldn't have spent most of last night reading this thread.... *shiver*

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Hmmm. I actually went to college in Melboure Fla, myself (I was a space science major).

In my lifetime, I've literally seen dozens of strange things in the sky, most of which were eventually obvious, but I've had about 5 things I can't readily explain.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if he was honest or just story telling, but I know one of the faculty at FIT (or Florida Tech, as they now call it) has seen a ghost.

Dr. Harry

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Hmmm. I actually went to college in Melboure Fla, myself (I was a space science major).

I got an M.S. in Space Science at FIT in '92. In '94 my advisor became chairman of the Physics Dept. at Michigan Technological University, and I finished my Ph.D. there.

Kesh

First Post
I can't find the 'local legends' thread, so this one seems appropriate enough.

You may have heard of the film The Mothman Prophecies. It's based on an actual series of supernatural sightings from Point Pleasant, WV (a town I grew up near). Apparently, they've started having an annual Mothman Festival now. :cool:

For more on the legend itself, try here and here.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases