D&D 5E Darksun 3.0

neogod22

Explorer
I have been working on some critters. Opinions on this bad boy.

Braxat
View attachment 86372
Huge Humanoid Neutral Evil

Armor Class 18

Hit Points 115 (10d12+50)

Speed 30 ft.

Str 23 (+6), Dex 15 (+2), Con 20 (+5), Int 14 (+2), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 8 (-1)

Skills Athletics +7 Perception +5,

Senses passive Perception 15

Languages Common, Braxat

Challenge 6 (2300 XP)

Multiattack. The Braxat makes two club or uses psychic crush or psionic blast.

Club +9 to hit, one target. Hit: 20 (3d8+6) bludgeoning damage.

Psionic Blast (recharge 5-6) Each creature in a 30’ cone must make a DC 13 Intelligence saving throw, taking 45(10d6) psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Psychic Crush must make a DC 13 Intelligence saving throw, taking 38 (8d6) psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn. A successful save deals half as much damage and negates the disadvantage.

Oops the picture is quite large.
Psychic crush should be a recharge also.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Coroc

Hero
Yeah I might just put a weapon breakage rule in for inferior weapons.

I reread some of the 4E DS last night, it was a it flavourless and they sucked a lot of the appeal out of the setting with talk of things like demons, rakshasa, Djinn which are kind of generic desert world things that 2E actually lacked. They did have some interesting locations/plot hooks in the description of the world and if I mix up some 2E, 4E and 5E ideas for the critters I could do some decent conversion. For example The Dragon of Tyr casts spells as a level 20 wizard, has legendary action and some of the 4E abilities could be tweaked and added on (until they do a final psionics system).

I have got a suggestion for your breaking rules:
If someone attacks with a weapon made out of inferior material and rolls a 1 then he has got to roll a save DC10 (like a death save no modifiers) if he fails the weapon breaks.
Simple and easy to remember, it gives the weapon a less than 2.5% chance per hit to break so it is not common but will not never happen? how do you like it?
I would not differ between what material the weapon is made of just to keep it simple.
If you want to make differences based on material just fiddle around with the DC.

Zardnaar

Legend
Psychic crush should be a recharge also.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I put it there for an at will ranged attack. Instead of throwing bolders Braxats melt your brain. Fighting Braxats may be bad. In 2E they had a bundle of PSP's to use a variety of powers, I just converted the main ones and they benefited from 5E's cranking up the damage on critters (compare 2E Ogres/Hobgoblins, Hill Giants etc to 5E).

Its a CR 6 critter, I kind of modeled it off giant rock throwing in terms of damage .

Zardnaar

Legend
I have got a suggestion for your breaking rules:
If someone attacks with a weapon made out of inferior material and rolls a 1 then he has got to roll a save DC10 (like a death save no modifiers) if he fails the weapon breaks.
Simple and easy to remember, it gives the weapon a less than 2.5% chance per hit to break so it is not common but will not never happen? how do you like it?
I would not differ between what material the weapon is made of just to keep it simple.
If you want to make differences based on material just fiddle around with the DC.

I am just going to have a 1 as an auto break. It depends on how nasty the modifier (if any) ends up being.

Zardnaar

Legend
How about some thing a bit more basic. More or less an Athasian Goblin type role (low CR ambush critter)

Dune Freak
images.jpg

Medium Humanoid Neutral Evil
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 17 (3d83)
Speed 30 ft, burrow 30
Str 14 (+2), Dex 14 (+2), Con 12 (+1), Int 8 (-1), Wis 9(+1), Cha 7 (-2)
Skills Stealth +4
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages
Challenge 1/2 (100XP)
Ambush A Dune Freak has advantage on stealth rolls while using burrowing.
Actions
Multiattack The Dune Freak makes two claw attacks. If both claw attacks hit the Dune Freak can bite as a bonus action.

Claw +4 to hit, one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+2) slashing damage.
Bite +4 to hit, one target. Hit: poison. A creature bitten by a Dune Freak must make a DC 12 constitution save or be paralysed. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another constitution save. On a success the paralysed effect ends.

And a heavily psionic foe.

Gaj
Large Monstrosity Neutral Evil

Armor Class 18

Hit Points 111 (13d10 +39)

Speed 30 ft.

Str 19 (+4), Dex 10 (+0), Con 17(+3), Int 14 (+1), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 10 (+0)

Saves Intelligence +5, Wisdom +4 (with advantage)

Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, slashing damage from non metal weapons

Senses passive Perception 10

Languages Telepathy. The Gaj can communicate via telepathy.

Challenge 6 (2300XP)

Mind Blank The Gaj’s mind and thoughts cannot be discerned by any means.

Tower of Iron Will The Gaj has advantage on intelligence and wisdom saves.

Psionics The Gaj can use the following spells requiring no components. The Gaj’s innate psionics uses intelligence (spell save DC 13)

At will
3/long rest inflict wounds, suggestion,

1/long rest , dominate person, dominate monster

Actions
The Gaj makes a bite attack or uses psionics. The Gaj can use ego whip as a bonus action

Bite +7 to hit, one target. Hit: 7 (4d8+4) piercing damage.

Psionic Blast (recharge 5-6) Each creature in a 30’ cone must make a DC 13 Intelligence saving throw, taking 45(10d6) psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Ego Whip An opponent within 60’ must make a DC 13 Intelligence saving throw, taking 14 (4d6) psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn. A successful save deals half as much damage and negates the disadvantage.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Aha, I finally found a better mechanism for gaining an advantage from Defiling.
Based on the 3e Bane of Infidels prestige class

Set off the zone-Blight spell to defile the land around you as I indicated above. Count how many creatures you kill, (not the total HP). Add 1 to the total, to indicate the plants, micro-organisms, &c. you wipe out.
This gives you the number of metamagic points you can use to enhance the spell, like the Sorcerer's signature class feature. (Consider that they are called Sorcerer-Kings, not Wizard-Kings.)

At higher levels (tier3?) we need to design a mechanism to build a feedback loop so you can expand the radius of your Defiling, rack up more kills, and get more metamagic points. The SKs themselves (who are tier4) can defile an entire city and/or drop an upcast Meteor Shower that covers an entire city, doing enough damage to destroy every building and slay every inhabitant.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Loving the monster updates Zard. Just a couple of typos?

Does the Gaj bite really only do 7 damage?
Does At Will need removing if Inflict Wounds and Suggestion are both only 3/long rest?

Not sure if I'm remembering it correctly but was the Gaj that fast?

Thanks for the work!

Nicolai Hiorth

First Post
Hello Zardnaar, i recently started converting darksun to 5E and only found your amazing post, searching for 5E braxat stats, I have made some rather different conversions, but a lot of them are very similar to your. and your devotion to the pre prism pentad world warms my heart. i'm going to use a lot of inspiration from your work. the stuff i've already made can be found on a google site i've made. and is mainly for my players. I'm planning to start a youtube channel with videos of me and my players enjoying being chrushed to death by the world of Athas. but since we are all Danish it will be in broken Danish/English hence the channel name D&Danglish.

love your work, hope you bother to read the conversions i've made so far maybe I can inspire you a bit https://sites.google.com/site/darksunhiorthedition/

Zardnaar

Legend
Hello Zardnaar, i recently started converting darksun to 5E and only found your amazing post, searching for 5E braxat stats, I have made some rather different conversions, but a lot of them are very similar to your. and your devotion to the pre prism pentad world warms my heart. i'm going to use a lot of inspiration from your work. the stuff i've already made can be found on a google site i've made. and is mainly for my players. I'm planning to start a youtube channel with videos of me and my players enjoying being chrushed to death by the world of Athas. but since we are all Danish it will be in broken Danish/English hence the channel name D&Danglish.

love your work, hope you bother to read the conversions i've made so far maybe I can inspire you a bit https://sites.google.com/site/darksunhiorthedition/

Yeah I have not done much on DS lately. Waiting on psionic rules more or less. 3pp would also be fine if anyone knows of any.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases