D&D 5E Epic Level (outline)

Ovarwa

Explorer
???

Let's focus on multiclassing and epic boons, shall we?

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

We'll call each of my options an epic boon. We'll call the common features plus one epic boon you get each level you attain after 20 the Epic Character Class. So all epic characters are now multiclass, and the epic multiclass rules are "after level 20 you must multiclass with the Epic Character Class and cannot take levels in any other class."

So we're focused keenly on multiclassing and epic boons.

Anyway,

Ken

Zardnaar

Legend
I do not mind proficiney scaling past +6, the rguement that 19 AC is a auto hit is a bit silly as epic crtters should have ACs around 20 or 22+ anyway and you can always have AC 24 to 30 or so.

I'm not a fan of epic levels but having +17 to hit won't matter to much espcicially if AC 25ish is fairly standard. The existing critters are for level 20 PCs or so and some 3pp have things like CR 27 Dragons in them (great wryms).

Instead of fighting Tiamat though you might fight tiamat+ 1 old Dragon of each chromatic colour. Good luck with that. Instead of 40 kobolds you might encounter 40 gladiators. Its not going to matter if you hit 75-95% of the time.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm thinking that for level 11-30 play, the following house rule is probably necessary:

As a character enters tier III at character level 11, all saving throws are made at a minimum of the proficiency bonus of a ten level lower character.

That is, +2 at level 11 and then steadily rising.

This should (barely) counteract the save DCs of epic threats, and level 30 characters will have a minimum of a +6 saving throw bonus.

(You might include death saves in this rule for use with "hardcore" death saves, ie DC 15 death saves)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

bit of necromancy, but having read the entire thread I figured why not comment all the same.
I would alter the saves part, Instead go with something like
At level 21, You gain proficiency in two saves of your choice, if you are already proficient in all saves then you instead gain a feat instead of proficiency in a save.
Or if like many games you allow resilience to be taken more then once, simplify this to, you gain two feats.
As for proficiency, I would likely suggest allowing it to continue to scale, As is at level 21 the save DC and Save bonuses are already to a point where bounded accuracy more or less breaks down anyhow. Easy to just add more monsters in that give bless like effects, and of course epic monsters and such.
also tactics for monsters can make quick work of things still, stuff like maze often takes a player out of the fight, brutal if that players the healer, and beholder with invulnerability and a good tactical location can be devastating to even epic players if you mix a few monsters in.
I think for the most part your quick and dirty rules would work just fine.
Epic level games are not for inexperienced DM's, and unlike most of %e it should be just fine to take it outside the normal bounds a little.
That said things like Extra attack not stacking does hurt many melee classes, and others like druid who already hit there capstone do not really benefit from taking druid further.
Ever concider just making a Epic version of the classes, a more or less bare-bones design to address issues where certain classes really don't work the best taking them for a second 20 levels?
It is just there's a great disparity in 40 levels of Rouge and say 40 levels of Druid, in what is gained from those levels.

Remove ads