Players reading DM-only material

DMs--what is your opinion about players reading DM-only materials?

• It's fine with me--in fact, I encourage them to buy the adventures I'm currently running and read th

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I don't really care one way or the other. Players will do what they'll do

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • It's hard to monitor what players read, especially when some are DMs also. I just have to trust the

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • I encourage them not to read the materials and trust that they won't.

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • I never use published materials, so it doesn't apply to me.

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • I make enough changes to published materials that they'll just screw themselves if they do read them

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • Not in my campaign! *boot*

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.6%

Wolfspider

Explorer
Recently in another thread I blew up about a group of players reading a thread that the DM had clearly marked as containing sensitive material, clearly warning his players away from it. This made me wonder about what the general policy was toward players reading such DM-only material, such as modules and Dungeon magazines.

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
I encourage my players (when I'm DMing) to avoid reading sensitive campaign material when possible. However, our group rotates DM chores between three different people, so there is bound to be some overlap...which is where the trust comes into play.

Overall, the players IMC are pretty good about leaving personal knowledge out of the game itself. There are a few notable exceptions, but aren't there always ;) ?!? In those instances, I make every effort to scrutinize whether the offending player's PC is acting as he/she would normally, or is being manipulated based on inside information.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'm ion the "Player's will do what they do" camp. It's hard to keep people from being curious. Most stuff is based on what happens in the game, but there are instances where the twist of a plot will be ruined by fore-knowledge. If a player does this insistantly and too often, they really ruin the game for everyone playing. At this point, it's just not likely anyone will invite them back to the table to ruin yet another night of gaming, especially when it's so tough to get a good group together and make the time for everyone to be there. *shrug*

drothgery

First Post
Same here, though until I started the d20 WoT message board game, I'd never used a published adventure. Adventures are the only thing where I might complain a bit if players read them, other than my personal notes.

I'd think it a great thing if players read more setting and background stuff. I don't use monster books other than the MM (unless the Player's Handbook counts). And I rally want players to be interested in making their characters better.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Heh. A pity that this isn't a multiple-choice poll.

All of the following applies to me:

I encourage them not to read the materials and trust that they won't.

I make enough changes to published materials that they'll just screw themselves if they do read them.

Not in my campaign! *boot*

;)

It's the first of these three, though. :)

King_Stannis

Explorer
Darkness said:
Heh. A pity that this isn't a multiple-choice poll.

All of the following applies to me:

I encourage them not to read the materials and trust that they won't.

I make enough changes to published materials that they'll just screw themselves if they do read them.

Not in my campaign! *boot*

;)

It's the first of these three, though. :)

that about sums up my views, too.

333 Dave

First Post
For me its "I never use published materials, so it doesn't apply to me.", but when I get around to publishing my own stuff (some of which will be in the territory of DM's notes, as a poster above mentioned), then it'll be "I encourage them not to read the materials and trust that they won't.". So I checked Other (in case you were wondering who checked Other...)

I voted other, but on second thought, I really should have put the "hard to monitor, so i trust them" one down...

I think it really spoils the fun for them if they find out stuff, so I'm not too paranoid about them reading stuff, especially since the one player of mine who is also a DM is the person who introduced me to the EN Boards (Fayredeth is his handle now I believe...used to be Fayredeth Meadowstar )and is a very mature and responsible guy. Hell, I've asked him privately in game on numerous occaisions about rules that would really give away a lot to the other players. He's a great sport about it.

My only peeve is players messing around with my DM Screen...makes me very angry and territorial.... LOL

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases