[Humor?] our home and GITP

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm finding an interesting corollary between various types of questions and styles of answers between we here at EnWorld and the folks over at Giant In The Playground's forums.

It seems like a lot of novices find their way there and questions tend to weigh heavily on character creation/"builds" and How do I roleplay [x] trope/race/whatever. In a way, it feels like the forums are largely frequented by players.

Here, OTOH, it feels far more "professional" in that many of the questions and threads appeal to the "meta" of D&D and RP, as though there were a larger percentage of older/wiser graybeards and DM's here.

I just found it interesting. ^_^

Nupo

First Post
I'm new to this forum, but not D&D, been playing since '79. And yes my beard is gray, as well as what little hair I have.

I've been on the GITP forum for some time now, but still feel like an outsider there. It's not that I don't feel welcome, it's that I feel like I don't fit in. I get the impression that most people there play very high level (god like) characters, very fast level advancement, very low character mortality, and most don't start at first level. Many even level up every session! I guess I'm just too old school. In our campaigns characters always start at first level, and at least a third of them die before ever seeing second level. They level up roughly every four or five sessions at lower levels, and slower at high levels. Also, we consider anything over sixth level "high level" and anything over around 12th god like. Is there anyone that plays more like we do on this board, or am I still a minority?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
In our campaigns characters always start at first level, and at least a third of them die before ever seeing second level. They level up roughly every four or five sessions at lower levels, and slower at high levels. Also, we consider anything over sixth level "high level" and anything over around 12th god like. Is there anyone that plays more like we do on this board, or am I still a minority?

That's the way I played and will continue to play that way. My kids will learn to play that way as well if I can ever get a regular game going again.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I get the impression that most people there play very high level (god like) characters, very fast level advancement, very low character mortality, and most don't start at first level. Many even level up every session!
When I was running Tiamat and we had new players drop in 'to check this D&D thing out', we had fewer people STAY when the characters were higher-level.
Most of the new players looked confused about what-all they could do (too many options; which ones are good/bad?) and when they could do it.

Remove ads