D&D 5E Halfling Ape Riding (Revised)Ranger (H.A.R.R.)

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
Standard Array
Str - 8
Dex - 15 + 2
Con - 13 + 1
Int - 12
Wis - 14
Cha - 10

Race: Stout Halfling
Class: Ranger
Conclave: Beast Master
Ape - Athletics skill & 1 more.​
Recommended Spells : Barkskin up till Lv 9. Make Ape the Tank.

Lv 2 Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting

Lv 4: Dual Wielder Feat - Wield 2 Rapiers getting you 3 attacks. Main hand + Off Hand + Ape attack
Ape: +2 Con

Lv 5: 4 Attacks total
Main, Off, Ape, Ape Reaction.

Lv 8: Sentinel Feat - 5 Attacks total
Main, Off, Ape's reaction, Ape's attack, Sentinel's Reaction attack.
Ape: +2 Con

BurgerKingMan

First Post
A couple of Ideas come to mind

- If you look at the Ghostwise halfling from SCAG it would fit into your build perfectly. the WIS bonus allows you to get 16 WIS and DEX and the telepathic connection to your companion could allow for some great RP moments.

- I feel that a hand crossbow build would work better for the concept since you can pop out behind your ape and take potshots while still receiving a bonus action attack and access to the rangers ammunition based spells like ensnaring strike and cordon of arrows.

- Look into barding options in the PHB (pg 155). For 200gp you can outfit your ape in scale male and give him a base 16 AC before you add your proficiency bonus to it. No need to waste unnecessary spell slots and an armored ape looks a hell of a lot cooler then a barkskin ape. Take it to its logical extreme for 6000gp plate armor for the most badass gorilla this side of the sword coast

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The duel wielder feat adds +1 damage to each attack by having bigger weapons, and +1 AC. If instead you increase your DEX you get both of those, but you also get +1 to attack, +1 to Init, +1 to stealth and other dex-based skills and +1 to dex saves. I'd focus on maxing out Dex before looking at the feat.

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
The duel wielder feat adds +1 damage to each attack by having bigger weapons, and +1 AC. If instead you increase your DEX you get both of those, but you also get +1 to attack, +1 to Init, +1 to stealth and other dex-based skills and +1 to dex saves. I'd focus on maxing out Dex before looking at the feat.

Well by taking Dual Weilder feat I would be able to wield a second Rapier in my off hand. And with the Two Weapon Fighting style, i can add my dex to it. so its 2d6+8 over the (1d6+5)+1d6 (If scimitar in off hand). Also Sentinel is so that if they target the ape that I'm riding i would be able to hit the attacker with a reaction. Also on Lv4&8 up the Ape's Str by 4 giving it a total of 20

Also with revised Ranger if fighting favored enemy at level 8 i would be doing an average total of 66 points of damage i believe.

Main: 1d8+Dex+Favored Enemy=4+4+4 = 12
Off: 1d8+Dex+Favored Enemy = 12
Sentinel: 1d8+Dex+Favored Enemy = 12
Ape Main: 1d6+Str+Prof+Favored Enemy = 3+5+3+4 = 15
Ape Reaction: 1d6+Str+Prof+Favored Enemy = 15

not against favored enemy you -20 from the 66 for 46

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Well by taking Dual Weilder feat I would be able to wield a second Rapier in my off hand. And with the Two Weapon Fighting style, i can add my dex to it. so its 2d6+8 over the (1d6+5)+1d6 (If scimitar in off hand). Also Sentinel is so that if they target the ape that I'm riding i would be able to hit the attacker with a reaction. Also on Lv4&8 up the Ape's Str by 4 giving it a total of 20

Also with revised Ranger if fighting favored enemy at level 8 i would be doing an average total of 66 points of damage i believe.

Main: 1d8+Dex+Favored Enemy=4+4+4 = 12
Off: 1d8+Dex+Favored Enemy = 12
Sentinel: 1d8+Dex+Favored Enemy = 12
Ape Main: 1d6+Str+Prof+Favored Enemy = 3+5+3+4 = 15
Ape Reaction: 1d6+Str+Prof+Favored Enemy = 15

not against favored enemy you -20 from the 66 for 46

Yes, exactly as I said. You already had the two weapon fighting style, so try to stack the numbers by removing it is dirty pool. I just said going +2 DEX ASI is better than the feat until you hit your dex cap.

Moving from scimitar/scimitar to rapier/rapier nets you average +1 damage on your weapon attacks, and the feat also grants +1 AC. However +2 Dex instead will give you those plus +1 to hit, init, dex saves, and dex skills.

Here's your numbers with +2 DEX. (Ignoring the .5 of the average damage like you did).

Main: 1d6+Dex+Favored Enemy=3+5+4 = 12
Off: 1d6+Dex+Favored Enemy = 12

Oh look, same damage. But applied more often because you have +1 to hit. And other bonuses.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases