(OOC) & (Recruitment) The Steel Trade

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
As children the Southroad Seekers had grown up with one of the various caravans traveling from the port city of Asylim in the south of The Untamed Wilds to Boga City, the trade hub of the continent. Upon reaching a mature enough age, each future member had departed his caravan meeting by fate, destiny, or coincidence in Southroad Fair, an outpost community about half way between Asylim and Boga City.

Joining together, the Southroad Seekers established themselves and their name by solving 3 dilemmas that were plaguing that community. Discussing the possibilities of striking out on their own adventure, tragedy once again befell the small outpost in the form of a key assassination. Martello, the Blacksmith, was found murdered on the very morning of their planned departure, staving off those plans. A mark of the Ansylin Assassins' Guild was left upon the chest of the body, removing any doubt as to the credit for the kill.

Suausedeserp, derogatorily called Sauce Drip, one of the Magisters of Asylim, had long been suspected of orchestrating various assaults on the outpost in the past. Now with the murder of a key member of the community it has, once again, fallen to the Southroad Seekers to solve the new dilemma. Knowing that it would not yet be possible to make a head-on response directly at a prominent figure of the ruling body of a city so far to the south, a more immediate solution must be found.

Rumor of a mining community has given impetus to an expedition of finding a replacement smith and/or establishing a method of trade with that community.

The game thread is now up: TUW: The Steel Trade

Last edited:

MacConnell

GM: It is not necessary to have participated in the Caravan Campaign in order to join this adventure, even though this is its sequel.

D&D conversion characters should be 5th level and of the following races:
  • Dwarf (called Mhytre in this world)
  • Elf (called Faethrin)
  • Halfling (called Bajinin)
  • Human (called Aedaman)
  • Half-Orc (called Dahmre)
Due to the age of technology for this particular world setting being late Iron Age, certain prestige classes mostly associated with 5e will not be available as they depend upon technology more associated with late Renaissance. All other classes will likely be allowable, with the exception of Paladins, which always seem to cause inner-party conflict, though no character should be evil aligned.

D&D characters can use the 25 point buy system for generating scores or 4d6 taking best 3 and ignoring 1s. 3 extra rolls are needed for stats specific to this campaign.

There is space available for 10 characters in this campaign. Players interested in participating, post character descriptions and/or images to the following link.
TUW: Editable Character Records

GM: Characters already listed in the following link do not need to re-post for the new campaign. I can use the same record already saved.

The Caravan Campaign Character Records

As it is particular to the plot for this campaign, metal armor and shields are not available. Metal weaponry is sill limited, world-wide, and should be restricted to nothing larger than a longsword or battleaxe.

Last edited:

MacConnell

GM: In addition to recruitment, this thread will also be used for OOC discussions involving technical questions and what ifs.

Information about Southroad Fair: The Developing Community and Its Structures can be found using this link. This is not the gaming thread but is, instead, dedicated to setting and does not change much.

Technical information and background compiled thus far can be located at the following Community Page: The Untamed Wilds

Last edited:

MacConnell

@Tellerian Hawke & @Kwargrow & @Sylvar B. I figure y'all will be going with the same characters but if you wish to replace any to try something new, let me know. That is acceptable.

Due to her Academic rank, Bolo can actively control 2 companions, if she wishes to add one. Merin can only control one, but he may dismiss Myth and look for another, if he so chooses.

@Aust Thale If RL slows some where you wish to pick up again with us, I will update your characters to the appropriate level, or you can choose to try something new.

@tglassy This particular PbP relies much more on writing and expressing ideas than technicality. As you have expressed an interest in the past, I wanted to invite you to join in ACT II of the The Untamed Wilds campaign. I think your ability to convey your thoughts would be an asset to the entertainment value of the game.

tglassy

Adventurer
I'd be interested, I think. I'd have to read through your rules and the setting before deciding on a character, though. 5th level isn't bad.

Now I will ask, when you say it's less about technicality, are the rules for resolving conflict, as well as what is possible and what isn't, followed or is it a free for all and anyone can write anything? Having a game be less about combat and more about role play is great, but I'd still want there to be some consistency in the rules. So if I cast a spell, or someone else casts the same spell, I know it's going to work the way it's supposed to. Make sense?

MacConnell

...are the rules for resolving conflict, as well as what is possible and what isn't, followed or is it a free for all and anyone can write anything? Having a game be less about combat and more about role play is great, but I'd still want there to be some consistency in the rules. So if I cast a spell, or someone else casts the same spell, I know it's going to work the way it's supposed to. Make sense?
Being mathematical in nature, consistency is imperative for me. I have several discussion threads on the Community Page listing the skills and abilities used to determine the outcome of tasks requiring a chance of failure rather than straight role-play.

The random element is % based, and all attempts are calculated as that the higher the result the better the outcome. Some attempts have opposing algorithms, like combat, and some are compared against time. For example, if identifying an item is going to take a week of game time, it is not worth pursuing. The attempt should be tried again when the character has more skill.

Magic is the one thing handled quite differently from D&D, in that I found it to be too inconsistent, there. Instead of memorizing spells that are magically forgotten, a character can perform various paranormal tasks, like ignite an opponent in flame. The range, affect, and damage depend on the characters abilities and skill rather than on memorizing fireball as opposed to flaming sphere.

The magic system, called manipulating way, is based on the actual mythologies of several ancient peoples including Celts, Apaches, and Mayans.

Since I have been posting as much information as I can, there is now quite a bit available. It can be a lot to absorb. Most of the PbP is role-play involving interaction of the PCs with NPCs and problem solving, but combat will occur as it always adds an exciting element to the game.

As for parameters, as most everyone I meet has been gaming for a very long time, the player knowledge base is often much greater than the character's should be at the current time of play. So even though a player knows about teleporting or shapeshifting, it isn't possible for the character to even attempt it with out certain prerequisites. This is generally just a matter of player discretion, though, and my active players have shown shown such, along with great role-playing.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION]: As an experienced gamer I've played through a lot of systems and MacConnell's is consistent. As with the majority of other rpg's the outcome is based on skill level and how well you roll.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
@tglassy: I've been playing D&D since 1979. (Blog post: HERE) I've known @MacConnell since 1989; He's been working on his game system since the early 1990's, if I remember correctly; this latest version is AMAZING. I've play-tested all of its iterations, and I have always enjoyed it. His system is fair, balanced, and consistent. I am a game designer myself, and I can assure you that his game is well-designed, and well-thought-out.

What MacConnell means by "do anything you can imagine" is that you simply state what you'd like to do, and he will tell you what you need to roll, or what new skill(s) you need to acquire, in order to do so. He will also let you know if what you want to do is unfeasible, or if it is beyond your current capabilities. Since his game is heavily mathematical, he usually takes care of the calculations himself, so the players can focus on plot and storyline; however, he also explains the system quite well on his community page, so that you can see for yourself how the system works. If you are comfortable with doing the calculations yourself, you are free to do so. He is approaching this from the perspective that he'd rather the players focus on having fun, rather than dealing with boring mathematical minutia.

Long story short: Join us! You won't regret it. MacConnell is not only a skilled game designer, but a skilled GM as well, with YEARS of experience.

tglassy

Adventurer
Cool. A few things: Paladin in 5e shouldn't cause any interparty conflicts. They get their power from their Oaths, and are not beholden to a certain alignment, just their oaths. Oath of Vengeance and Oath of the Ancients are especially able to be any alignment. And I don't know if there's anything about being a paladin that would not it in the times, they just wouldn't have plate armor, if I'm reading it right. I have a dwarven paladin who was extremely fun to play, and had no problem with the rogue in the party. In fact, they became good friends!

When you say 4d6 ignoring 1s, do you mean reroll 1s?

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Remove ads